Sewing Bee 2016

JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Begins the first week in May, ( 5th I think ) with a new female judge, Esme Young :)
Looking forward to it very much :)

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A shame that May is no longer there. Hopefully the new judge will be a creditable replacement. Just hope that she has the same depth of knowledge.

Some more info:

http://craftii.co.uk/company-news/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-great-british-sewing-bees-new-judge/

And from May herself:

http://www.sewmag.co.uk/blog/exclusive-may-martin-speaks-about-gbsb-shock-news
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very disappointed May's not back. I wonder if it didn't fit her schedule or whether she just wasn't asked back, that interview doesn't make it clear and I doubt we'll ever know.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're bonkers for leaving May out! May and Patrick are a great team with their expertise and they are quiet and calming around the contestants.

But worse than that, the gormless geeky, loud mouthed Claudia is back who knows nothing about sewing at all and adds nothing to the show. I know her fans will say it doesn't matter that she can't sew and knows nothing about it but I believe any presenter on a show should bring something that enhances the show and she doesn't.

She crashes around, asks dim questions and spends most of the time flicking her hair and doing forced grins.
  • andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Happy that they fired her..didn't really feel she belonged to that show ..she was the only negative aspect of the show for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy that they fired her..didn't really feel she belonged to that show ..she was the only negative aspect of the show for me.

There is no indication at all that May was "fired" (ignoring the fact that the judging would be based upon contracts for the series, so there would be no existing contract to terminate).

Yes, both May and Patrick were the show, with support from Claudia of course. Can't see where she supposedly did not fit in or was the only negative aspect. :confused:
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad it is returning. I do like Claudia.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    They're bonkers for leaving May out! May and Patrick are a great team with their expertise and they are quiet and calming around the contestants.

But worse than that, the gormless geeky, loud mouthed Claudia is back who knows nothing about sewing at all and adds nothing to the show. I know her fans will say it doesn't matter that she can't sew and knows nothing about it but I believe any presenter on a show should bring something that enhances the show and she doesn't.

She crashes around, asks dim questions and spends most of the time flicking her hair and doing forced grins.

I don't agree about Claudia. She's like a lot of the viewers who don't know much about sewing. I really like her presenting style but can see why some might not.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't sew and like that Claudia can't. For some reason it really grates on me when you see (for example) James Martin on Saturday kitchen pretending he doesn't know what something is so the guest chef will explain.
    Much better to have an everyman who will ask those stupid questions.
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Claudia and think she is exactly what the show needs as a presenter :)
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Googled Esme Young and she certainly isn't a young thing. She looks older than May and my initial impression is that she hasn't got the style that May has. In some of the images she looks positively frumpy in baggy shirt and skirt. Those photos wouldn't inspire me with confidence, although she graduated from St Martins in 1972 and has quite a background in fashion design and film costume.

It's 10 contestants and 8 weeks this time.
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad it's expanded for this year :)
    Esme Young was "Swanky Modes" which was really something in its time :)
    I liked May but she was a bit WI / Mumsy ;)
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought May did a good job and I would have been happy for her to stay, but I don't think she is as important to the show as Patrick and Claudia are.
  • ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Googled Esme Young and she certainly isn't a young thing. She looks older than May and my initial impression is that she hasn't got the style that May has. In some of the images she looks positively frumpy in baggy shirt and skirt. .

I don't think the google images do her any favours.

But I think there's more to her. The baggy tartan shirt is actually made of glazed fabric, so possibly a bit more 'edgy' than May.

Glad it's expanded for this year :)
    Esme Young was "Swanky Modes" which was really something in its time :)
    I liked May but she was a bit WI / Mumsy ;)

I agree about May. Everything she wore seemed very well made, but very 'conservative'. More seamstressy than fashion.

I got used to May though, and I can see why people would miss her.

Most importantly though, IT'S ON IT'S WAY!! THANKS FOR THE INFO! :D
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I googled Esme Young and in one of the articles about her coming onto the Sewing Bee it also has says this -

UPDATE - May has released a statement about her leaving the Great British Sewing Bee:

“I am extremely proud to have been part of three series of The Great British Sewing Bee, such a wonderful show which at its height had 3.5 million people watching. I am sad that I will not be a part of series four but it was not to be.

“I will miss the fantastic production team at Love Productions who made such a brilliant show, the sewing production team who worked tirelessly to put the challenges together and the competitors who put their lives on hold and coped with the endless challenges we threw at them. Last but not least I shall miss working with Claudia Winkleman the brilliant presenter of our show and Patrick Grant my fellow judge, over three series we became a great team. I hope series four continues with the success that we created and stimulates the nation to continue sewing.”

http://www.thesewingdirectory.co.uk/news/2016/02/05/new-judge-for-the-great-british-sewing-bee/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ennui 57 wrote: »
    I don't think the google images do her any favours.

But I think there's more to her. The baggy tartan shirt is actually made of glazed fabric, so possibly a bit more 'edgy' than May.

I agree about May. Everything she wore seemed very well made, but very 'conservative'. More seamstressy than fashion.
    Except that we all saw what happened when the producers went away from "seamstressy" for the final "made to measure avant-garde" challenge in the S3 Final. :o> :(
    Forum Member
    Just been checking the BBC2 listing for the first week in May up to Thursday the 5th, and the Sewing Bee isn't listed. It was widely publicised in the sewing magazines that the launch date was 5th May, but they seem to have got it wrong. Haven't had any success googling for a start date either.

Anyone know the start date for certain?
    Forum Member
    Seems the Sewing Bee has been delayed and will not now start on 5th May. No indication of when it will that I can find.

http://sewwhatsnew.co.uk/inspire/sewing-bee-2016/
  • FirespireFirespire Posts: 4,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The online book stores have changed the release date of the book that accompanies the series from the 5th of May to the 19th of May. So I think that date is the best guess.
    Forum Member
    Found mention on Facebook that the announcement of the start date will be made at the end of this month. I'd say that, with just three days of the month left, it IS the end of the month now.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I think replacing May is a good idea. She came across as a lovely person, but she didn't really have much presence on the screen. I always thought they needed a more dynamic female judge. Her clothes were neat and tidy, but for a programme like this I don't think that worked. I think the female judge should either look incredibly elegant or quirky and artistic in her dress.

Re Claudia, she asks the questions the viewers would like to ask, brings humour to the series and is reassuring and friendly towards the contestants. I think she's a huge part of the programme's success.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think replacing May is a good idea. She came across as a lovely person, but she didn't really have much presence on the screen. I always thought they needed a more dynamic female judge. Her clothes were neat and tidy, but for a programme like this I don't think that worked. I think the female judge should either look incredibly elegant or quirky and artistic in her dress.
    So in what way would that help either the contestants or the viewers?
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Re Claudia, she asks the questions the viewers would like to ask, brings humour to the series and is reassuring and friendly towards the contestants. I think she's a huge part of the programme's success.

Actually, I think from that point of view, May provided a nice balance with Patrick. He is extremely elegant and in vogue. Dressmaking isn't all about high fashion.

But I do agree about Claudia. She is completely adorable.
    Forum Member
    Amazon has the book to accompany the new series "The Great British Sewing Bee: from Stitch to Style" by Wendy Gardiner at £17.00 (RRP £25.00) for pre-order with delivery on the day of release, 19th May.

"Sew" magazine is currently offering it for free by subscribing to their magazine, minimum 6 issues for despatch at the end of May.

http://www.sewmag.co.uk/blog/breaking-news-the-great-british-sewing-bee-2016-when-it-starts.

Think I'll wait until it's out and have a look at it before buying - don't want to subscribe to the magazine as I prefer to choose which, if any, title I want each month depending on content.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Actually, I think from that point of view, May provided a nice balance with Patrick. He is extremely elegant and in vogue. Dressmaking isn't all about high fashion.

But I do agree about Claudia. She is completely adorable.

I totally agree with that. But I think the female judge's clothes should look a bit different from the normal M&S/high street stuff we're all used to. It doesn't have to be high fashion, but they should be beautifully finished, extremely chic or highly individual.
    Forum Member
    Finally we have a start date for Series 4!

Monday 16th May 2016

BBC2 9 pm to 10 pm

Episode 1 of 8

Is that later in the evening than previously?