Options

Series 10 - What do you want?

R2Y5A0N2R2Y5A0N2 Posts: 54,679
Forum Member
What would you like from the tenth series of Doctor Who in 2017?

Personally, I'd like to see more episodes set in historical periods of time and the Doctor & Bill coming face-to-face with well-known historical figures.

Also, more previous monsters/aliens returning such as The Silents, The Flood, The Ood, Racnoss, Haemovores and a few other pre 2005 monsters/aliens.

Bring back River Song, Captain Jack Harkness, Martha Jones and Rose Tyler.

More episodes set in space and on alien planets & include some of the aliens that featured in the background of The Rings of Akhaten.

Include the Weevils from Torchwood into an episode.

The Trickster from The Sarah Jane Adventures should feature in an episode.

Some sort Orc creatures should appear in the tenth series, alongside a hideous banshee monster and zombies.

New monsters/aliens should include mutant giant rat creatures and a few things like these:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0a/fd/d8/0afdd80db22696f55a451a3e47519ed3.jpg
http://www.maskworld.com/english/products/masks/latex-masks--110/halloween-horror-monster-slipknot-masks--1100/evil-pumpkin--110523
http://www.maskworld.com/english/products/masks/latex-masks--110/mutants-creatures--1107/octopod--111443
http://www.maskworld.com/english/products/masks/latex-masks--110/mutants-creatures--1107/death-biter-latex-monster-mask
http://www.maskworld.com/english/products/masks/latex-masks--110/vampires-werewolves--1106/priest-latex-vampire-mask
http://www.maskworld.com/english/products/masks/latex-masks--110/devil-demon--1108/hell-creature--104206
http://www.halloweenasylum.com/dammy-the-clown-costume.html

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Also, I'd like an episode to feature Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, John Hurt, Christopher Ecclestone, David Tennant, Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi as their incarnations of the Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh and Maisie Williams back as Ashildr.

Hopefully, Maisie will change her mind since this article.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/doctor-who/news/a784911/doctor-who-series-10-maisie-williams-rules-out-a-return-for-ashildr/

And bring back The Rani - who could play her though?
  • Options
    W._O._FrobozzW._O._Frobozz Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    ...I'd also like a pony.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Balance of two-parters and standalones
    - I get that Moffat likes playing with the structure a little bit, and that's a good thing. But sometimes it's one extreme to another, and it leads to inconsistency. Series 8 could have used another two-parter. Series 9 would have benefited from one less. You don't need to overhaul the whole structure every time. Series 3 brilliantly pulled the rug from beneath the feet of the mainstream viewer by revealing Utopia to be the first part in a three part story. That relatively minor move was fantastic. I think Series 10 would benefit from a balance of strong standalone stories and a couple of two-parters. And so as to not feel top-heavy it seems vital that the finale remains at least two episodes in all cases.

'Send you a postcard' feeling
    - I don't know what it was but there was something special about Series 4 in its story type. I think it was ultimately the variety of the stories on offer. It felt like we were genuinely travelling around a massive universe with loads of possibility. Historic pompeii one week, a morally corrupt corporate future in the snow the next. Agatha Christie in rural England one week, a planetary library from the 51st century the next. It struck a terrific balance and felt well-travelled in a way no other series really has. Ultimately it made a real identity out of the places it was going. Apart from a handful of instances, one weakness of more recent series (and that's not to say I don't love those series... Series 9 is one of my favourites) has been that its locations don't stand out quite so vividly. Series 10 could use some locales that make you go 'wow' a bit more... places both real and fictitious.

No companion death
    - One of the biggest setbacks the show seems to have now is the need to 'kill off' every companion. This wouldn't be so problematic if the show could actually dare to do it, but it's always a cop out. Rose never actually dies, and is simply on a list of the dead somewhere. Donna arguably suffers a fate worse than death, but it wasn't death itself. Amy and Rory ventured closer to the prospect of death, but only because they lived to death... which is essentially what anyone does. And Clara got so pain-stakingly close to the point you can argue that she is indeed dead now. But they left a window open by also making her functionally immortal in contrast to her fate, and so it's a bit of a cop-out. It's a case of the show wanting to have its cake and eat it. If it's not ever going to genuinely kill off its main characters that's fine, but it needs to spend a lot less time entertaining the idea if that's the case. By all means put them in jeopardy so that a rug may always been proverbially pulled from beneath our feet, but don't go to the lengths of actually killing off a character and then bringing them back and immortalising them. It feels like a waste of time, a waste of emotional investment and effectively lowers the stakes.
    I love Clara's character to pieces, but her death was brilliant. It thematically fit in with Series 9 but managed to still be quite hard-hitting, it made her cameo in Heaven Sent count all the more and was an excellent driver for all that was going on in Hell Bent too. Until she actually appears again and we get a Clara revival story rather than the Gallifrey story that has been teased. It's so intrusive and counter productive. Whilst I can argue she is indeed dead now, the loophole is that she also might not be. What's the point of emotional investment then? If Bill is a one-off companion, I want less of this kind of fuss. When she goes she goes... if she's killed off then deliver on that. If not, then deliver on that too. Don't sloppily opt for something somewhere between the two.

Historical figure...
    - ...or a historical event. It feels like ages since we last encountered a proper one. Earlier series arguably went overboard with a formulaic approach to one or two a series (I guess you never know how long a show will stay on the air for) but it's also a tried and tested formula that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing to bring back right now. An episode with Amelia Earhart would be a personal preference for me but there's countless more that could be chosen. I also still maintain that the black death would be a great basis for a story. The plague doctors would be a genuinely creepy design to play on...and it's been so long since something very genuinely, visually creepy appeared (in the same sort of way as the empty child and the clockwork robots make something rather ordinary much more creepy).

Returning characters?
    - It's always fun to see characters come back, but you run the risk of making this huge universe feel tiny if you're constantly running into the same people over and over again. Doctor Who isn't the kind of show that trudges up Rose Tyler for the rest of its existence (it gave it a decent go for a while! ;) ). It loses her and it moves on to new characters. Every now and then we get someone who slips through and reappears completely out of their time. A Sarah-Jane Smith, for example. For Series 10 I do think bringing back Captain Jack would be quite fun, and also marks ten series since he debuted. But do something different with him. The character supposedly lives for thousands, millions, even possibly billions of years. Let's see him somewhere further down the line... you can still keep John Barrowman involved (in fact whilst he's ageing fairly well, it's still a great way to explain why he's aged if he turns up in a 90th Century story or something). I think Capaldi and Barrowman would have a brilliantly unique dynamic.
    If Moffat wants to bring back the Paternoster's for a last hurrah then that'd be fine too. Or maybe he could play his Jenny (daughter) card at long last? Maybe all of these things could happen in a single story which unites a time travelling assemblage of heroic characters. What a last hurrah that'd be for Moffat (and I mainain the Weeping Angels would be a superb villain in a story for that...as their basis of threat is time travel).
    As a final idea, though overload if any of the above were to happen, would be a Doctor-lite episode that featured the Eighth Doctor instead. Paul McGann deserves a credit in the TV show proper, and it's a great way to do it.

Villains
    The Daleks seem an inevitability both because they're Daleks and because of the 'asBill' introduction clip. I'd also wager Missy will have a story somewhere along the line and that's no bad thing either... she's superb. I wouldn't be against giving the Weeping Angels the big finale for Moffat, if he can genuinely restore their menace and threat at least.
    But beyond these three, Series 10 will again benefit from strong, new villains. The Cybermen will benefit from more time off. We've seen Davros back now so the Daleks don't need a big two-part story again yet (and Moffat successfully avoided falling back into the Earth invasion stories with them that he could have done). There's plenty of time to establish new threats.

Writers
    - they're also fun to consider if you know who they are. Moffat's rule seems to be seven writers one year and eight in the next. There's nothing to say that's something that'll happen again, but for argument's sake we get eight writers for Series 10.
    - Steven Moffat, Toby Whithouse, Peter Harness, Jane Goldman, Sarah Dollard, Catherine Tregenna, Jamie Mathieson, *another new writer*.
    That's my wishlist... eight writers, two new (and for anyone counting this still, that's three women in there). I suspect though we'll have to accept Mark Gatiss will still get a slot. In which case I'd give up wither Mathieson, or Tregenna (who I love but she needs something better than The Woman Who Lived).

Long story short...
    - Balance of standalones and two-parters.
    - Companion who doesn't "sort of" get killed off.
    - Historical figure episode.
    - More diverse and stand-out locations visited.
    - Balance of villains old and new, with an emphasis on new.
    - One or two returning characters is fine, but again emphasis on new.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    i agree with all of that. Especially the historical figures, having just recently watched Tooth and Claw. I'd add "Bring back the fun".

The light hearted approach worked very well for 10/Rose at the beginning of Tooth and Claw and would be a helluva contrast with recent run of ever so doom laden and serious stories.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Yes, FUN! More light-hearted and comedy content to balance out the show when it needs to get serious or dark.

No more talk about the Doctor's predicted death. Enough already!

No more stories aimed at fundamentally changing what we know/think about the Doctor's history - Moffat's added so much into the Doctor's personal history now that I've completely lost interest.

Some guest appearances by characters from the past 10 seasons of New Who - I'd love to see Captain Jack and Martha return for guest spots.

A couple of episodes that are just plain silly - something along the lines of The Lodger or The Unicorn and the Wasp.

Oh, and a regeneration :)
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about Donna we don't know if the Doctor was just lying that she would die if she remembered him or they could just bring her back as a background character.
  • Options
    POTDPOTD Posts: 9,910
    Forum Member
    I would like to see more strong recurring male characters!

Moff has created some great female recurring characters, but rather neglected the men recently, even UNIT these days seems to have all women in the main roles. Even The General on Gallifrey has regenerated into a woman!
  • Options
    FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like less stories where THE WHOLE UNIVERSE AND ALL OF CREATION is under threat. Like the Ood Planet story in Series 4 for example: a story where the threat is local to the planet or location where the Doctor happens to land.

That way, it would actually feel like a bigger event when EVERY SINGLE BEING WHO HAS EVER EXISTED AT ANY POINT IN ANY GIVEN LOCATION IN THE UNIVERSE AND REALITY ITSELF did come under threat. When it's done weekly, it doesn't have an impact.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    POTD wrote: »
    I would like to see more strong recurring male characters!

Moff has created some great female recurring characters, but rather neglected the men recently, even UNIT these days seems to have all women in the main roles. Even The General on Gallifrey has regenerated into a woman!

whilst I haven't particularly enjoyed any of Moffat's Doctors or companions, I do think he is very skilled in creating great 'recurring' characters though - River, Missy, the UNIT team and (of course) the Paternoster Gang. But you are right, apart from Strax they are all female!
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I agree. The lack of recurring male characters, especially in the last two series has been too noticeable. Danny aside, we've had hardly any compared to Clara, River, Missy, Kate, Osgood, Ashildr and soon, Bill.

We need a recurring male companion in Series 10 with the Doctor and Bill to be honest. Add him during the latter half of the series, ditch the rivalry aspect with him and the Doctor and don't make him a love interest for Bill.

In terms of two parters, only two for Series 10. Episodes 5/6 and 11/12 should cover it to be honest.

Either a proper Dalek finale or a proper Weeping Angels ones. I'd do a Cybermen story for this year Christmas special and leave them alone after that.

More fun, less angst, less Doctor dying type of prophecies to be honest.

Missy in a mid series episode. Mix it up a little here. And for Capaldi/Moffat's last episode too.

Final hit/appearances for Modern UNIT and Paternoster Gang. A Clara cameo for Capaldi/Moffat's last episode as well.
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good stories... and no moon egg/magic trees disappearing without consequence/eye dust monsters type nonsense... and no the Doctor is going to die prophecy rubbish....
  • Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I'd prefer historical events to historical figures, so for example a story about average people during something major like the black death or the witch trials (again - examples, I know they've been done) rather than The Doctor bumping into historical celebs every time he hits up the past.
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    Good stories... and no moon egg/magic trees disappearing without consequence/eye dust monsters type nonsense... and no the Doctor is going to die prophecy rubbish....

I second that !
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shawn_Lunn wrote: »
    Final hit/appearances for Modern UNIT and Paternoster Gang.

Only if we can see them get killed off. Painfully. On a loop for the entire episode. I'd happily watch that.

Oh, and get rid of the sonic shades and that ****ing guitar.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just want a male companion. One separate from the other companions, not another Rory! :o:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    silentNate wrote: »
    I just want a male companion. One separate from the other companions, not another Rory! :o:blush:

I agree with you there, I'm sure it will happen. I'm just not sure when it will happen aha :D

I'd love Russell Tovey to play a male companion or bring back Andrew Hayden Smith as Jake Simmonds. :p
  • Options
    DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a "Trials and Tribblations" story would be fun - the current Doctor has to intervene in a previous story (Doctor 1 to 7, that is) to make sure it happens as it did, despite a protagonist (The Master, for preference) trying to derail events. Like that Star Trek episode, it involves inserting the current characters into old footage. Naturally, the current Doctor must remain incognito to his former self. Maybe he can hint who he is to the then companion - in fact, it the actor is still around (eg. Katy Manning), he/she could overdub a reaction and a promise to remain silent.
  • Options
    Paul_MountPaul_Mount Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Someone who can tell a story running the show.
  • Options
    thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About the absorboloff made a return. Maybe paired with the kandyman.
  • Options
    thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Mr Klemutot from shugfumbi 7
  • Options
    GaladrielGaladriel Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    The thing I want for Series 10 is to not have Bill turn into another annoying companion that I want to strangle before the end of the series!
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    What would you like from the tenth series of Doctor Who in 2017?

Tom Baker in a hat and long scarf, exploring the origins of the Daleks with Sarah Jane Smith but no magic sonic wandriver that is the cure for all ills. And no Master detracting from an actual plot, either.

Yes.
  • Options
    arr95arr95 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm all for more historical stories with historical figures in the vein of the unicorn and the wasp/ tooth and claw / Vincent and the doctor- in series 10 I would like to see an episode with Marilyn Monroe - we've seen Elizabeth I so why not his other famous wife Marilyn?
  • Options
    TARDIS BlueTARDIS Blue Posts: 10,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thought Spring-heeled Jack carried scope for an excellent Doctor Who story. I'd also like to see something akin to the purely historical stories from the early days, as in an episode without any sci-fi elements (barring the arrival of The Doctor and his companion/s in the TARDIS). There are many things from history they could play on to make an interesting story, without throwing aliens into the mix for once.