How to become a police officer?

2»

Comments

• madlh100madlh100 Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    Hello pet.

Well, not much luck in this field at the minute.

I applied to be a special and they didn't even get back to me after completing the assessment.

I really want to be one. I have my moments actually. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

Just keep an eye out for recruitment. Check your local forces recruitment pages etc. :)
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    There's a few at the moment surprisingly. I believe that Surrey are recruiting people who have successfully completed a PLC course. Also BTP and CNC are recruiting for regular officers. I'm sure one or two other HO forces are recruiting on a very irregular basis too, but it's very difficult at the moment.
    BTP surprises me, but it appears to be quite a substantial amount they're looking for. I reckon they'll get thousands of applicants :D

CNC are only police as far as their title goes really. While they are sworn in as constables they don't actually do any 'policing' as such. Their powers are there for the very rare occasions they actually need them and the great majority of their time is spent as static armed security guards.

I've seen people come from CNC and MDP to a home office force with 10 years or more service. They have to start from scratch with home office forces from initial training onwards, although they don't revert to probationer status while doing so and keep at their pay grade equivalent to their years.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    madlh100 wrote: »
    Hello pet.

I applied to be a special and they didn't even get back to me after completing the assessment.

I really want to be one. I have my moments actually. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

Just keep an eye out for recruitment. Check your local forces recruitment pages etc. :)

all the people just finishing college courses looking at becoming police have now applied for the specials this must be 1000's of people plus now even places for specials are becoming extremely number as it cost money to employ them even when there not payed.

Good look but even becoming special these days is going to be extremely hard.
    lalaland wrote: »
    The national standard has been raised recently, it's no longer 5.4 it's now 6.3 for recruits (which is still very easy :D).

I still thinks its well to low I was pushing at level 9's when I was in year 7 I think It should be no lower than what used to be level 9. I believe Scotland still do this.

tuppy26 wrote: »
    After reading this I always wanted to be a Police Women but unfortunatly life things happen (and also got knocked backed a few times and this was 20 years ago), so I thought about joining the prison service to gain some experience......so maybe that could be a career path to look into and they recruit once a year usually Sept time :)

This might be easier than the police but again the cuts have affected most public service jobs. My teach from sixth form knows high up people working at my local prison and the not looking at any employment for 1-2 years. obviously this could be different from location to location.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That you have to ask, doesn't really show off your detecting skills.
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    That you have to ask, doesn't really show off your detecting skills.

Be fair to the OP, asking is a form of investigating. There's certainly nothing wrong with asking questions.
    Forum Member
    OP you could instead start up your own Private Detective firm.

I've always fantasised about being a Charlie's Angel myself.

Your own company. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A male Charlie's Angel :confused:

No offence, but I prefer Kate Jackson myself.
    Forum Member
    A male Charlie's Angel :confused:

No offence, but I prefer Kate Jackson myself.

They were all so sexy!

I wouldn't mind being a Baywatch person either. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were all so sexy!

But Kate Jackson was, by far, the sexiest. :cool:
    Forum Member
    But Kate Jackson was, by far, the sexiest. :cool:

I have the first two series on DVD. I was obsessed with the programme for a long time.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Hello pet.

Did you ever chase it up? I remember you posting a thread about not hearing anything but you never replied to those of us who asked if you chased it up. Resilience and initiative are very important aspects of the role you know.