Options

U.S. Army's new "blimp"

GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
Forum Member
✭✭
The twin-hulled LEMV was designed by Hybrid Airships of the U.K., which has been developing the hybrid concept for years, and built at Lakehurst. In addition to the buoyancy of the helium within, the craft generates lift using vectored thrust from its four diesel engines and from the aerodynamic pressure of air passing below its broad hull. At its cruise speed of 30 knots, the LEMV has enough range to cross the Atlantic; in a pinch it can sprint at up to 80 knots.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9472952/US-Army-tests-new-blimp-like-military-airship.html

As much as I quite like the idea of airships, I thought there was a world shortage of helium?

As I understand it, we can't make it on earth, perhaps someone can explain it to me the idea behind it. They say they could have a fleet of these but that seems incredibly unsustainable and impractical.

Comments

• Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    "It's the blimp Frank, it's the blimp!" :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "It's the blimp Frank, it's the blimp!" :)

Ah you showed your age there :D
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    The helium would only need to be replaced if there was some sort of leakage. The buoyancy is controlled by using air as ballast. That's the stuff that gets released.
  • Options
    ErlangErlang Posts: 6,619
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9472952/US-Army-tests-new-blimp-like-military-airship.html

As much as I quite like the idea of airships, I thought there was a world shortage of helium?

As I understand it, we can't make it on earth, perhaps someone can explain it to me the idea behind it. They say they could have a fleet of these but that seems incredibly unsustainable and impractical.

Apparently not completely lost by use.
    Setting out their case in Nature, they explain the world is not running out of helium. Vast amounts remain underground combined with natural gas. Once used, helium is not destroyed but simply enters the atmosphere, which in containing around 3.8 billion tonnes of the gas is humanity’s largest helium resource.

http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/media/2012/the-unbearable-lightness-of-helium/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erlang wrote: »

Thanks for this!
    I wonder if you can get it back from the atmosphere all the stuff we use as balloons?
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    The helium would only need to be replaced if there was some sort of leakage. The buoyancy is controlled by using air as ballast. That's the stuff that gets released.

So not like a party balloon then? I suppose that's not too bad.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Are these just expensive billboards? What does the military need blimps for?
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Should have read the article
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    modern airships have a lot of practical advantages for heavy lifting and low running costs.

also remind me of that episode of archer.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    reglip wrote: »
    Are these just expensive billboards? What does the military need blimps for?

They can transport a lot of stuff and they don't need an airfield. They can also act as surveillance platforms that can stay relatively stationary and up in the air for far longer than aircraft can.