Dyslexia and a Degree

Tasty DelightTasty Delight Posts: 1,328
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there.

I am due to finish year 2 of by Foundation Degree in Oct and commence year 3 in January. I've gotten pretty crap marks for the essays and not sure if this because I am not academic enough or because of dyslexia (confirmed diagnosis).

TBH I won't get a 2:1 or even a 2:2 but a pass is all that matters to me. My employers have put some dyslexia support in place but the Uni has not supported me in any way (save for them being aware of it when marking essays).

I'm just looking for some practical advice from anybody who has been in a similar situation. I have a Study Needs Assessment this week but I am not confident that they will be able to offer any additional support for me.

Thank you.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    I'm just looking for some practical advice from anybody who has been in a similar situation. I have a Study Needs Assessment this week but I am not confident that they will be able to offer any additional support for me.

I know someone who was at University and was diagnosed as dyslexic whilst there (never had been diagnosed at school), she was given extra help - including a free laptop :D

But I suppose the main question is why are your marks so 'poor', it might not be anything to do with your dyslexia - can you ask those who marked it?.
  • Tasty DelightTasty Delight Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone who was at University and was diagnosed as dyslexic whilst there (never had been diagnosed at school), she was given extra help - including a free laptop :D

But I suppose the main question is why are your marks so 'poor', it might not be anything to do with your dyslexia - can you ask those who marked it?.

They are marked by the group of Tutors, however all of them have basically said "we can see you are dyslexic - get help" however as they are not MY tutor they don't know that I've been screaming for help since January >:(
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't offer you any specific advice but came across this so hope it helps.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2322391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    I can't offer you any specific advice but came across this so hope it helps.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2322391

Cheers, thank you :)
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are marked by the group of Tutors, however all of them have basically said "we can see you are dyslexic - get help" however as they are not MY tutor they don't know that I've been screaming for help since January >:(

go and complain, if someone marks your assignment and doesn't know they're bound to mark you down and also make sure your lecturers know as well as they may not of been told and a remarking may be due
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    go and complain, if someone marks your assignment and doesn't know they're bound to mark you down and also make sure your lecturers know as well as they may not of been told and a remarking may be due

I have complained to my own tutor about it, but I don't think it will get me anywhere.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my friends wasn't diagnosed as dyslexic until she'd been in her current job a year. So two years after completing and passing her masters degree.

All you can do is keep complaining. If your tutor won't do anything. Go further up the chain. And keep going until you're given the help you feel you deserve.

As above though. If also check with tutors as to wether your marks are actually do to the dyslexia or other reasons.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have dyslexia and I am studying a Scots Law degree at Dundee University. As you say your University has not done that much to support you, this should not be the case, from my own experience you should be regular contact with someone at the Disability Services of your Uni and you should also be in regular contact with the disability support officer in the school in which you are studying in. Further, make sure you have access to the Disability Support Allowance (DSA), it may also be a good idea for to keep in regular contact with your academic adviser and module organisers to make sure you get the help you need.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    One of my friends wasn't diagnosed as dyslexic until she'd been in her current job a year. So two years after completing and passing her masters degree.

All you can do is keep complaining. If your tutor won't do anything. Go further up the chain. And keep going until you're given the help you feel you deserve.

As above though. If also check with tutors as to wether your marks are actually do to the dyslexia or other reasons.
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    I have dyslexia and I am studying a Scots Law degree at Dundee University. As you say your University has not done that much to support you, this should not be the case, from my own experience you should be regular contact with someone at the Disability Services of your Uni and you should also be in regular contact with the disability support officer in the school in which you are studying in. Further, make sure you have access to the Disability Support Allowance (DSA), it may also be a good idea for to keep in regular contact with your academic adviser and module organisers to make sure you get the help you need.

Thank you both for responding. I will be speaking to my Tutor again this week.