Options

Radio Football Commentators and reporters (2014/15 season)

Comments

• Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    BBC WM

Walsall's JPT Final Day

07:00 Michelle Dawes - Michelle took calls from Walsall fans going down to Wembley and crossed to Rob Gurney Live from the team hotel.

09:00 Hunted with Pete Morgan - most of the clues based of Walsall FC with hunter Debi speaking to some of the Walsall fans going to Wembley on a coach from the Banks Stadium.

I will post details of the build up at about 3:30pm and then the commentary details and post match details about 6pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC WM

Walsall's JPT Final Day

12:00 Richard Wilford - Live from Wembley Way or Olympic Way with Steve Hermon as his Producer and also on air. They where joined by Walsall Fans including WM's news Editor, Chris Blakemore. He was also joined by a number of guests. Here they are; Mike Olly (manager of Broad Street), Luke Paddock (Walsall Boxer), Dan Mole (Walsall press officer), John Roder (BBC TV Commentator), Doug James (Walsall Councillor for Labour Party), Nigel Spank (Villa Legend), Steve Jenkins (Local music producer), Pete Waterman (songwriter, DJ, television presenter, president of Coventry Bears) and ex Walsall players (Martin O'Connor, Andy Butler, Dave Kelly & Chris Marsh).

14:00 BBC WM 95.6 Sport, Pre Match - Live inside the Wembley with Paul Franks. Franksy joined by the commentary team of Rob Gurney, Mike Taylor & Martin O'Connor discussing the game. Richard Wilford went pitchside when he finished his show and Steve Hermon on Wembley Way and here among the fans inside the Stadium. Dean Smith (Walsall boss) with a review of their JPT run and Adam Chambers with a look thought the Walsall team (both of which spoke to Rob Gurney) as well as speaking to some of the other players. They also spoke to Jimmy Walker.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC WM

Walsall's JPT Final Day

12:00 Richard Wilford - Live from Wembley Way or Olympic Way with Steve Hermon as his Producer and also on air. They where joined by Walsall Fans including WM's news Editor, Chris Blakemore. He was also joined by a number of guests. Here they are; Mike Olly (manager of Broad Street), Luke Paddock (Walsall Boxer), Dan Mole (Walsall press officer), John Roder (BBC TV Commentator), Doug James (Walsall Councillor for Labour Party), Nigel Spank (Villa Legend), Steve Jenkins (Local music producer), Pete Waterman (songwriter, DJ, television presenter, president of Coventry Bears) and ex Walsall players (Martin O'Connor, Andy Butler, Dave Kelly & Chris Marsh).

14:00 BBC WM 95.6 Sport, Pre Match - Live inside the Wembley with Paul Franks. Franksy joined by the commentary team of Rob Gurney, Mike Taylor & Martin O'Connor discussing the game. Richard Wilford went pitchside when he finished his show and Steve Hermon on Wembley Way and here among the fans inside the Stadium. Dean Smith (Walsall boss) with a review of their JPT run and Adam Chambers with a look thought the Walsall team (both of which spoke to Rob Gurney) as well as speaking to some of the other players. They also spoke to Jimmy Walker.

Re the 1200 pm show, pretty sure prospective Tory candidate for Walsall North, Douglas Hansen Luke, was also interviewed too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sunday 22nd March

BBC WM

BBC WM 95.6 Sport; The Game with Paul Franks From Wembley Stadium (3:25pm - 5:30pm)

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final
    Walsall v Bristol City - Mike Taylor, Rob Gurney & Martin O'Connor (Live 3:30pm Commentary)
    Dugout/pitchside - Richard Wilford
    Wembley Way & among Walsall fans - Steve Hermon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Re the 1200 pm show, pretty sure prospective Tory candidate for Walsall North, Douglas Hansen Luke, was also interviewed too.
    Sorry! :blush:
  • Options
    shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 Live - 21.3.15

(I was at White Hart Lane yesterday so didn't hear much, this info taken from the production photo tweeted by 5 Live)

Man City v WBA - John Murray & Danny Mills (commentary)
    Aston Villa v Swansea - Pat Murphy
    Newcastle v Arsenal - Ian Dennis & Kevin Kilbane (commentary)
    Stoke v Crystal Palace - Ian Brown
    Southampton v Burnley - Jonathan Overend
    Tottenham v Leicester - John Southall
    West Ham v Sunderland - John Acres

Bournemouth v Middlesbrough - John Hunt
    Brentford v Millwall - Gigi Salmon
    Norwich v Not Forest - Naz Premji
    Watford v Ipswich - Peter Slater
    Wigan v Bolton - Juliette Ferrington

Barnsley v Preston - Sohail Sahi
    Tranmere v Burton - Derm Tanner

Celtic v Dundee Utd - Ian Turner

5 Live 22.3.15

Liverpool v Man Utd - John Murray & Neil Lennon
    Hull v Chelsea - Ian Brown & Pat Nevin (commentary, Alistair Yeoman's updating on SE)
    QPR v Everton - Chris Latchem (Mike Sewell & Clive Allen on SE)

Bristol City v Walsall - Mike Williams

I do hope The Difference is enjoying the Wembley experience today.
  • Options
    GrahamjoanneGrahamjoanne Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC WM

Walsall's JPT Final Day

Villa legend Nigel Spank ? Is that what he gets up to in his own time ? Each to their own !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Villa legend Nigel Spank ? Is that what he gets up to in his own time ? Each to their own !!
    Sorry again! :blush::cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Manchester

Liverpool v Manchester United - Bill Rice - reports
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean? There's nothing wrong with going to match Walsall (a local side) at Wembley is there? :confused:

I think you'll find that his name is Nigel Spink not Spank !
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Bristol / Somerset

Bristol City v Walsall (Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final) Geoff Twentyman (host at Wembley) Andy Howard (0-25) Ed Hadwin (25-45) and Louis Carey, with Pete Simson on interview/pitchside duty and Martin Evans interviewing fans pre-trip and outside ground (All frequencies bar Online)
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland Sportsound, 22/3/15

Presented by Richard Gordon on all frequencies.

Scottish Championship
    Hibernian v The Rangers (12.45pm) - Rob Maclean, Craig Paterson and Derek Ferguson (commentary) with Chick Young pitchside

UEFA Women's Champions' League quarter-final 1st leg
    Glasgow City v Paris Saint-Germain (4.05pm) - Paul Mitchell, Julie Fleeting and Scott Booth (commentary) with Jane Lewis pitchside
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaun_d wrote: »
    Liverpool v Man Utd - John Murray & Neil Lennon
    Hull v Chelsea - Ian Brown & Pat Nevin (commentary, Alistair Yeoman's updating on SE)
    QPR v Everton - Chris Latchem (Mike Sewell & Clive Allen on SE)

I was pondering today if Five Live will ever be able to do full commentary on Liverpool vs Man U in the league ever again - and indeed the last time they did it. Maybe 2010? It's pretty much nailed on these days to be a Sunday 1.30 kick-off given the poilce wouldn't allow it to be played any later and Sky would never put BT in the position when they'd be able to pick it for Saturday 12.45 (as we know, BT do have "first picks" but Sky have the opportunity to decide when BT use these picks). So it would seemingly always be on talkSPORT.

I guess in the next rights deal there might be the opportunity for Sky to schedule it at Saturday 12.45. But now that fixtures like the Tyne-Wear derby and the Birmingham derby are no longer always forced to be early Sunday kick-offs (the latter because it's not played on a regular basis anymore), I think Liverpool vs Man U, both ways round, is now the only top flight match that's pretty much always guaranteed to be on talkSPORT and not Five Live.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was pondering today if Five Live will ever be able to do full commentary on Liverpool vs Man U in the league ever again - and indeed the last time they did it. Maybe 2010? It's pretty much nailed on these days to be a Sunday 1.30 kick-off given the poilce wouldn't allow it to be played any later and Sky would never put BT in the position when they'd be able to pick it for Saturday 12.45 (as we know, BT do have "first picks" but Sky have the opportunity to decide when BT use these picks). So it would seemingly always be on talkSPORT.

I guess in the next rights deal there might be the opportunity for Sky to schedule it at Saturday 12.45. But now that fixtures like the Tyne-Wear derby and the Birmingham derby are no longer always forced to be early Sunday kick-offs (the latter because it's not played on a regular basis anymore), I think Liverpool vs Man U, both ways round, is now the only top flight match that's pretty much always guaranteed to be on talkSPORT and not Five Live.

There's been a few Monday Night ones over the years but yes, it's a fixture that TS dominates now. The Sunday 1:30 package is one I'd like 5Live to have back in an ideal world but that's just me.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's always a chance the BBC will win the Sunday lunchtime package in the next radio rights auction, though.

So yes, under the current contract it's highly unlikely Liverpool v Man Utd (and vice versa) will be on Five Live, but that could change from 2015/16 onwards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC WM so far this season

Live FM Commentators: Mark Regan 33, Mike Taylor 22, Richard Wilford 14, Rob Gurney 19, Steve Hermon 3.

Live FM Presenters: Paul Franks 35, Richard Wilford 11, Mike Taylor 14, Mark Regan 13, Rob Gurney 11, Daz Hale 8.

Live FM Commentaries: Aston Villa 21, West Bromwich Albion 26, Birmingham City 18, Wolverhampton Wanderers 19, Walsall 11.

Live DAB Commentators: Richard Wilford 14, Rob Gurney 11, Mike Taylor 18, Mark Regan 2, Steve Hermon 5, Tom Marlow 4, Adam Bridge 1.

Updates Only: Rob Gurney 9, Mark Regan 7, Mike Taylor 3, Richard Wilford 4, Tom Marlow 25, Steve Hermon 8, Joe Lynskey 5, Nikki Lloyd 3, Jonny Palmer 1.

Live DAB Commentaries: West Bromwich Albion 12, Birmingham City 21, Wolverhampton Wanderers 22.

Aston Villa
    Mark Regan 19
    Richard Wilford 5
    Rob Gurney 3
    Mike Taylor 1
    Steve Hermon 1
    Tom Marlow 5
    Joe Lynskey 1

West Brom
    Rob Gurney 21
    Mark Regan 14
    Richard Wilford 1
    Steve Hermon 1

Birmingham City
    Richard Wilford 21
    Mike Taylor 3
    Mark Regan 7
    Rob Gurney 2
    Steve Hermon 2
    Tom Marlow 6

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Mike Taylor 32
    Mark Regan 2
    Richard Wilford 1
    Rob Gurney 1
    Steve Hermon 4
    Adam Bridge 1
    Tom Marlow 1

Walsall
    Tom Marlow 15
    Mark Regan 4
    Rob Gurney 10
    Mike Taylor 5
    Richard Wilford 3
    Steve Hermon 5
    Joe Lynskey 4
    Jonny Palmer 1
  • Options
    shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was pondering today if Five Live will ever be able to do full commentary on Liverpool vs Man U in the league ever again - and indeed the last time they did it. Maybe 2010?

A quick look at the head-to-heads on soccerbase shows both fixtures in 11/12 were on Saturday, a quick look at that seasons edition of this thread shows they were at lunchtime and on 5 Live. (Green and Ingham on both) I guess Champions League matches the following Tuesday and therefore Sky having to put it on Saturday are 5 Lives best chance of having it going forward.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shaun_d wrote: »
    I do hope The Difference is enjoying the Wembley experience today.

Thanks Shaun. Despite the result I really enjoyed the day out and finally seeing my team play at Wembley - it was worth the wait. Congratulations to Bristol City, they deserved it on the day and I hope they go on and do the double.

Thanks also to Connor for the detailed posts about BBC WM's coverage throughout the day - they are much appreciated. On my way in to the ground I managed to spot Richard Wilford - he and the WM radio truck were stationed about halfway up Wembley Way - Dan Pallet from BBC Midlands Today and former Walsall captain Andy Butler, who was involved in their coverage today. As I was watching the trophy presentation at the end, while the Saddlers players sportingly applauded their City counterparts from pitchside, I spotted Wilford conducting a lengthy interview with Walsall captain Adam Chambers while talkSPORT's Ian Abrahams chatted with manager Dean Smith.

On Saddlers Player, Dale Moon was joined by guest co-commentator Jimmy Walker for Wembley commentary.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday 22nd March - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presented Sunday Exclusive from Anfield, followed by Call Collymore from Anfield

Premier League
    Liverpool v Manchester United - Sam Matterface and Stan Collymore (1.30pm commentary), with Graham Beecroft at pitchside and James Dodd producing
    Hull City v Chelsea - Graham Courtney
    Queens Park Rangers v Everton - Tony Incenzo

Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final
    Bristol City v Walsall - Ian Abrahams

Rugby Union: LV= Cup Final
    Saracens v Exeter Chiefs - Simon Ward

talkSPORT Live

Premier League
    Liverpool v Manchester United - Tom Rennie and Darren Eadie
    Hull City v Chelsea - Toby Gilles and Matt Lawrence (featured 4pm commentary on international radio stations)
    Queens Park Rangers v Everton - James Fielden

Bundesliga
    Bayern Munich v Borussia Monchengladbach - Kevin Hatchard

Newstalk 106-108FM

Joe Molloy presented Off The Ball alongside Adrian Barry

Premier League
    Liverpool v Manchester United - Dave McIntyre and Steven Reid (1.30pm commentary)
    Hull City v Chelsea - Nathan Murphy and John Anderson (4pm commentary)
    Queens Park Rangers v Everton - Nigel Bidmead (as IRN)
  • Options
    DaveNightingaleDaveNightingale Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Hull Kingston Radio (107.4 FM Hull , online www.hullkingstonradio.com )

Sunday 29th March

North Ferriby United v Wrexham - FA Trophy Final

Coverage from 12pm - commentary live from 1.30pm.

Commentator - Pete Mills
    Summariser - Ian Waterson
    Presenter - Dave Nightingale
  • Options
    Mr NewshoundMr Newshound Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly his courier company is called S&M Couriers. :D

http://www.sandmcouriers.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=56
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sports Journalism Awards last night. Mike Ingham got a Lifetime Achievement Award. Fully deserved.
  • Options
    Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Sports Journalism Awards last night. Mike Ingham got a Lifetime Achievement Award. Fully deserved.

Yes indeed. Well missed as Chief Football Correspondent
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Wales

Nuneaton Town v Wrexham - Steffan Garrero (studio host) Mark Poyser and Andy Legg (All frequencies / Online)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Manchester

Oldham Athletic v Rochdale - Jack Dearden, Andy Ritchie and Steve Eyre - commentary