Defence and the threats facing the UK and the West.

onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
Forum Member
This seems to be one area where the debate doesn't seem to have even started in the election campaign.
Some people naively believe we can spend less on defence and remain safe, I disagree.
The Russians alone are building 2300 new main battle tanks and ramping up defence spending overall.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32478937

Comments

• JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    What would you like Britain to do?

We cant afford to compete in an arms race with Russia who has thousands of T-72's and T-80's mothballed in storage not to mention the newer T-90.

Nato would probably never have one a conventional war against the Warsaw pact forces and the plan was always to use tactical nuclear weapons to stop them in Western Germany

Oh by the way this is nothing compared to the massive conventional armed forces of the former Soviet Union and Warsaw pact forces in the 1970's and 80's who's armies numbered in their Millions and tanks into their tens of thousands.

Btw, these weapons bought at great expense to the Soviet Citizen are now abandoned across the former soviet union rusting away
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Where should we sit on these tables?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditures

Japan, Germany, Italy, China...all 1.0 to 1.2% of GDP (actually 1.0 to 2.1% on other chart).
    Saudi Arabia, by stark contrast, are at about 10%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Global_Militarization_Index
    Israel topping this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_military_expenditure_per_capita
  • onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
  • tomp94tomp94 Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    If anything we should increase our military budget, never decrease it. You never know what we will face in the future.

We should never get rid of our nuclear weapons, especially since we are paying nuke holding Pakistan millions each year to keep its weapons out of the hands of jihadists, while they create a safe refuge for them (Bin Laden) .. I would get rid of every single soldier, gun, bullet, before ridding ourselves of nuclear weapons.

If we did get rid of them Putin will be all over us, and we would look like a bunch of p****** on the world stage.

We shouldn't share aircraft carriers or anything else with France or anyone else
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biggest threat to the UK is so called Islamic extremists. A couple of Bombay style attacks in London would really really stir things up.

As far as I know Cameron is the only leader to have addressed this threat in his manifesto speech.

Miliband is currently cosying himself up to an Osama Bin Laden impersonator :D
  • tomp94tomp94 Posts: 280
    Forum Member
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Biggest threat to the UK is so called Islamic extremists. A couple of Bombay style attacks in London would really really stir things up.

As far as I know Cameron is the only leader to have addressed this threat in his manifesto speech.

Miliband is currently cosying himself up to an Osama Bin Laden impersonator :D

I agree.

Its surely only a matter of time before Sunni & Shiite Muslims start fighting between each other on the streets in one or more of many of GB's Islamic ghettos.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Would it? It was far less worse than 7/7 if you adjust for population and I don't see Mumbai having any additional problems to the ones that existed before.
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    What is it with some people and their fascination for weapons?

Still, fascinating thread.

Keep up the entertainment.......