Options

Sky TV prices will rise on 1st June

1212223242527»

Comments

• Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else get sent a second identical mail shot telling of the price rise and the guff about why prices were shooting up?

Presumably not just us.

We got one a month or so ago like everyone else when the rise was announced and now a second identical letter and brochure etc yesterday.

I bet Sky could have increased prices by 50p less if they did not waste money printing and posting this just to repeat bad news.

Reminding people they are about to pay £4.50 per month extra twice also seems a rather strange business plan as it is bound to focus a few minds on deciding what to do who had probably forgotten about the first letter. Especially now that we are nearer to the Summer.
  • Options
    innitrichieinnitrichie Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    M60 wrote: »
    A work colleague of mine who's always been, more her husband, an avid film buff and loyal Sky subscriber turned around to me last week saying that they'd had their letter and were thinking of throwing the towel in for Freesat and Netflix.

It's things like this from certain people that make me think the churn rate is going to increase as a consequence of all this.

The majority of people will never be able to give up on Sky.

- If you love sports, sky shows more of the sport that matters than anyone by a million miles. If you want to watch major box office events like Mayweather vs. Pacquaio then you need to be a sky subscriber.

- If you love movies, sky shows more hollywood blockbusters than anyone else by a long margin. and they have the rights locked up to the latest releases for at least two years - so you won't be seeing them on netflix or anywhere else for a long, long time.

- Sky Atlantic has the best TV shows around and the biggest selection of box sets anywhere. They have locked up exclusive rights to more of the shows that people want to watch than anyone else.

- Documentaries you can't get anything like what Sky offers on demand from the likes of Netflix.

- Sky has the best set top box in the business with wireless connectivity, remote control apps and the ability to schedule recordings and downloads even away from home.

- Sky on demand services blow everything else out of the water. Sky Go has it all covered pretty much. And Sky mobile apps are best of breed.

I do agree Sky feels expensive. But they do continue to invest in not only the biggest sports events, movies, tv shows, and local talent - but Sky also is investing heavily in the technology side of the business too. Prise rises every year are acceptable for as long as Sky continues these efforts.

Ultimately I'd imagine very few long-term Sky subscribers could live without the service for any length of time. Trying to believe freesat and netflix can act as anything like a substitute for what you get on Sky is only going to lead to grave disappointment at the end of the day.

Also football fans moaning about the cost. Keep in mind you'll easily spend more than your monthly Sky subscription attending one Premier League match a month. When you think like this you realise Sky really is an exceptional bargain if you love Premier League football. Or Championship football. Or Spanish football. Or Dutch football.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aurichie wrote: »

- If you love sports, sky shows more of the sport that matters than anyone by a million miles. If you want to watch major box office events like Mayweather vs. Pacquaio then you need to be a sky subscriber.

- If you love movies, sky shows more hollywood blockbusters than anyone else by a long margin. and they have the rights locked up to the latest releases for at least two years - so you won't be seeing them on netflix or anywhere else for a long, long time.

- Sky Atlantic has the best TV shows around and the biggest selection of box sets anywhere. They have locked up exclusive rights to more of the shows that people want to watch than anyone else.

- Documentaries you can't get anything like what Sky offers on demand from the likes of Netflix.

- Sky has the best set top box in the business with wireless connectivity, remote control apps and the ability to schedule recordings and downloads even away from home.

- Sky on demand services blow everything else out of the water. Sky Go has it all covered pretty much. And Sky mobile apps are best of breed.

I do agree Sky feels expensive. But they do continue to invest in not only the biggest sports events, movies, tv shows, and local talent - but Sky also is investing heavily in the technology side of the business too. Prise rises every year are acceptable for as long as Sky continues these efforts.

Ultimately I'd imagine very few long-term Sky subscribers could live without the service for any length of time. Trying to believe freesat and netflix can act as anything like a substitute for what you get on Sky is only going to lead to grave disappointment at the end of the day.

Also football fans moaning about the cost. Keep in mind you'll easily spend more than your monthly Sky subscription attending one Premier League match a month. When you think like this you realise Sky really is an exceptional bargain if you love Premier League football. Or Championship football. Or Spanish football. Or Dutch football.
    Cheers. All that Sky clap-trap has just made my day!!
    Next job for you, write out a Party Political Manisfesto, and in your spare time you can write my CV out :D

I'll start with just two as I haven't all day. BIB's - open goal first - who's got the Euro Champons League next season? Oh, sorry, doesn't matter. Documentaries - the majority are American over-produced over-dramaticised dumbed down garbage. Not saying the BBC's aren't that much better (eg Horizon) but they simply aren't watchable.

It's like a Sky leaflet that's come through my door. Straight to the bin.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,547
    Forum Member
    [snip fanboi essay]

Trouble is that a large chunk of what you wrote is either incorrect or irrelevant.

Nuff said.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you pay extra on top of the subs

The big hollywood blockbusters are normally in the DVD bargain bucket before they get on the movie channels, and they don't have ALL the latest releases - still no Hobbit on Sky movies)

I'll give you that even though they only have one show I like GOT

Sky don't have documentary channels, they're 3rd party in the Sky package

The only winning feature on the Sky box for me is being able to download catch-up TV rather than streaming it - my freeview box is much more advanced and actually asks if I want the SD or HD version of something, and if a recording will clash, asks me if I want to record the show at a different time, I can also delete channels I don't want

Football is excellent if you support one of the big clubs who are on all the time, but poor if you support one of the smaller ones as they hardly get shown

Btw I'm a long term Sky subscriber who has had Sky since 1990, and when my cheap deal ends I can easily live without out it unless I get a better deal.
  • Options
    robrymondukrobrymonduk Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very happy with my offer in the end. I phoned first time to arrange my line rental and broadband. Got offered free broadband for 12 months and pay line rental for £16.40 with a bill credit of £30.

This was better than last years half price broadband and £2.50 line rental discount so I was happy.

Phoned back again and spoke to TV section and they did 50% off Family and Movies and line rental for £9.99. Bemused I asked would I get free broadband still and she said yes. Never heard of £9.99 line rental but she laughed and said 'you must have done this before as I have no free broadband offer to apply', which means all operators have different offers.

Total cost with HD, evening weekend calls, Family and Movies and broadband is £41.74 with a £30 credit. Cost previous was £32 as we had 75% off TV.

Also all TV deals are now 10 months but you can phone back before then to arrange another deal.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My sister and brother in law have had Sky for 5 years and gave it up late last year for Freesat, they do not miss it at all.
    So people can and do give it up.
  • Options
    cornishcornish Posts: 290
    Forum Member

I agree with pretty much all you say but,as soon as my 50% offer is up im gone.In fact ive already bought a freesat box with 12 weeks on offer left to run.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Which is available on every other platform.

Sky movies are pretty much rubbish. We binned them last month. The same films repeated for month at a time.

I disagree. I like nothing on that channel! The Mrs likes GOT though.

As has been said, sky don't do documentary channels. They are all 3rd party available on other platforms.

Actually, the sky box is the worst in the business! Its slow, ugly as hell and i was doing all those things with my TiVo box when it first came out with Virgin!

Its ok. It works.

What technology? The same old boxes that have been around for years, admittedly with wifi added but other functionality taken out to keep costs the same?

Price rises are simply for the disgusting amount being paid to show football which i hate.
  • Options
    pavierpavier Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After rejecting their initial offer when I phoned them last week to cancel I got a call today and accepted 50% off on the family pack for 10 months without contract and £50 credit.

I was definitely ready to see through the cancellation absent a better offer so I started looking into XBMC/Kodi tv boxes. I experimented with Kodi on my laptop and what an eye opener. Even feeding my tv with a 1360 X 768 picture via vga it was still a better picture than sky's supposedly 1080i offering which makes me wonder what they keep boasting about. Some non sky HD channels are very good but most of sky's own channels are barely better than a good SD broadcast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    UNDLE PRICE INCREASE PER
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/utilities/2015/03/sky-tv-customers-to-be-hit-with-price-hikes

MONTH FROM 1 JUNE OVERALL BUNDLE PRICE
    PER MONTH FROM 1 JUNE
    Original bundle No increase N/A
    Variety bundle £2 increase £30
    Family bundle £3 increase £36
    Sky Movies 50p increase £17
    Sky Sports £1 increase £25
    Sky Movies & Sky Sports £1.50 increase £34
  • Options
    gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    That article has a couple of errors:

Sky Sports increases £1 to £25.50 (currently £24.50)
    Sky Movies & Sky Sports increases £1.50 to £34.50 (currently £33)
  • Options
    LFCKEV71LFCKEV71 Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Leave sky and get one of these Android Smart tv box. It has all the movies and tv shows there is and you can watch live tv http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OPX3XQ6/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1431870353&sr=1&keywords=kodi+tv+box
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,428
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    My sister and brother in law have had Sky for 5 years and gave it up late last year for Freesat, they do not miss it at all.
    So people can and do give it up.

Something like Freesat + Freeview/Youview would be a reasonable alternative to Sky if people had to give up Sky for financial reasons.
  • Options
    citytillidiecitytillidie Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    LFCKEV71 wrote: »
    Leave sky and get one of these Android Smart tv box. It has all the movies and tv shows there is and you can watch live tv http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OPX3XQ6/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1431870353&sr=1&keywords=kodi+tv+box

Not everyone has the technical ability to keep it up to date or want to do something that is not legal
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something like Freesat + Freeview/Youview would be a reasonable alternative to Sky if people had to give up Sky for financial reasons.

It was not for financial reason they gave it up, they gave it up as they did not think it was good value for money for them. a lot of the stuff they did not watch. they did have movies but got rid of them before they decided to get rid of Sky altogether.

True they are now better off by £20-£30 a month and that can not be used for something more interesting, but money was certainly not the reason they gave up on Sky.

Their Freesat box is pretty good to be honest, just a shame that TV in this country is still a load of crap and have more crap on every day.
  • Options
    Robin ArmitageRobin Armitage Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Their Freesat box is pretty good to be honest, just a shame that TV in this country is still a load of crap and have more crap on every day.

Typical bigot remark " if I don't like it..it must be crap "
  • Options
    LFCKEV71LFCKEV71 Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Not everyone has the technical ability to keep it up to date or want to do something that is not legal

I don't have the technical ability but youtube make it easier to setup and for the legal bit but it ok for sky to rip everybody off
  • Options
    TwinkyiomTwinkyiom Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Have finally taken the decision to remove all but Original plus Legacy HD pack (as I wish to keep F1 HD). Saving £42 a month.

Was told I couldn't cancel with more than 31 days notice, which is not in their T&C's when it is, but eventually had it confirmed. Then had to complain when a Sky Agent called me to tell me I'd cancelled the Legacy HD pack but would happily re-subscribe me to Sky Sports!

Am currently awaiting a response as to the rationale behind the Original Pack being more expensive now for existing customers, though obviously know the reasons why.

Having had the full pack for 15 years, it's a shame to give it all up, but I think that two price increases in 9 months is excessive. I get the feeling from the Exec Team Member I spoke to that this isn't an isolated thought process amongst subsribers!