Should Carmichael resign?

Comments

• mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let me guess, he needs a second chance because there's an excellent chance he would lose a by election, would mean one more Lib Dem MP gone and their only MP in Scotland
  • Angels_babyAngels_baby Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If what was reported in the memo had in fact been true how much of a second chance do you think Willie Rennie et al would have given Nicola Sturgeon. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A : Yes
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Former LibDem leader Sir Menzies Campbell said: "Alistair Carmichael has made a mistake. He has apologised for it. And that should be an end of the matter."
    Disappointed by Menzies Campbell's weaselly defence of Carmichael. 'Mistake' suggests an accidental error. He has apologised - only after he was found out.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    barky99 wrote: »
    not sure but if 10% of the electorate of Orkney/Shetland push for a by-election they'll get it thanks to something Clegg pushed through

Is that part of the Right of Recall thing? I'm a bit hazy on this but I read a thing the other day that said that was only applicable in 3 cases - criminal charge, expenses offences, or suspension from parliament (for 10 days or more I think....I'm trying to remember this now...probably badly).

Upshot of my vagueness is I don't know whether the 10% petition only operates once one of those 3 conditions has been fulfilled, or if it's a separate condition of it's own.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that part of the Right of Recall thing? I'm a bit hazy on this but I read a thing the other day that said that was only applicable in 3 cases - criminal charge, expenses offences, or suspension from parliament (for 10 days or more I think....I'm trying to remember this now...probably badly).

Upshot of my vagueness is I don't know whether the 10% petition only operates once one of those 3 conditions has been fulfilled, or if it's a separate condition of it's own.

As far as I understand, the Hoc MP's can vote to suspend him post investigation. If this suspension is over 10 days then right of recall applies, 10% of the constituents could then trigger a by election.

I imagine the MP's will vote 296 - 60 in favour of doing nothing so it's a bit pointless.
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    As far as I understand, the Hoc MP's can vote to suspend him post investigation. If this suspension is over 10 days then right of recall applies, 10% of the constituents could then trigger a by election.

I imagine the MP's will vote 296 - 60 in favour of doing nothing so it's a bit pointless.

Gotya. Unlikely then.
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Let me guess, he needs a second chance because there's an excellent chance he would lose a by election, would mean one more Lib Dem MP gone and their only MP in Scotland

They would have one less seat than the DUP if the above happens
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barney06 wrote: »
    They would have one less seat than the DUP if the above happens

I don't think they would lose it. In order to deny the SNP yet another seat I think sufficient numbers of lab/con voters would back the LibDems. Especially after the way the SNP performed at the GE.
    Doubt it will happen anyway but will be brought up at Holyrood elections next year, damaging the LibDems further - which is very amusing.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    Just watching "The Thick of it" reruns about the Public Enquiry into leaking of private documents.

IIRC the writers said of the "Edstone" that they could not have made up something as bad as that !!

Interesting though that Carmichael apologised for leaking a document that PROVED NS had told the French Ambassador she would be happy with CallmeDave in No. 10, when she was denying it had ever happened.

So Carmichael has actually been quite sneaky in apologising for proving her wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Just watching "The Thick of it" reruns about the Public Enquiry into leaking of private documents.

IIRC the writers said of the "Edstone" that they could not have made up something as bad as that !!

Interesting though that Carmichael apologised for leaking a document that PROVED NS had told the French Ambassador she would be happy with CallmeDave in No. 10, when she was denying it had ever happened.

So Carmichael has actually been quite sneaky in apologising for proving her wrong.

Except what he leaked was a second hand account of the incident based on a conversation after the event.
    He's admitted it was not accurate, and the French and NS have stated as much.
    So unless you are the journalists who wrote the story or are just blind to the facts you've got it wrong.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    The Liberal Democrats down to single digit numbers are in an impossible bind facing an ugly difficult choice as they can neither afford to lose him nor afford to keep him politically.
  • BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    You also have to look at his no 2 in the Scottish office ,one Mundell, who is now the SoSfS. Was Carmichael getting at him when he said if he was a minister he would resign.?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No if you actually read his letter to Nicola Sturgeon he makes it clear that the information contained in the memo was inaccurate. Also ALL parties involved in the meeting deny the conversation took place.

Carmichael is only sneaky in not admitting to his part in the incident during the election and getting himself reelected by lying to his constituents. Certainly not something to be admired.
    Forum Member
    No if you actually read his letter to Nicola Sturgeon he makes it clear that the information contained in the memo was inaccurate. Also ALL parties involved in the meeting deny the conversation took place.

Carmichael is only sneaky in not admitting to his part in the incident during the election and getting himself reelected by lying to his constituents. Certainly not something to be admired.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was never truer than in this incident especially with social media. The story erupted very quickly on twitter with many journalists, Labour/Lib dem politicians and supporters all jumping on the memo as fact of Nicola Sturgeon's hypocrisy.

Within an hour it had been killed as untrue by all the parties involved - Nicola, the French Ambassador, the French Consulate. But that didn't stop it being re tweeted as fact for hours yet with even Ed Milliband the following day making a statement about it as if the memo was still accurate.

Even now posters on this thread still think what was reported in the memo is true despite an inquiry stating the contents were inaccurate.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You haven't been following this pretty well. Have you?
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the time of the leak, it was said that it was a 'very serious matter'. Yet an apology has been deemed enough by a lot of observers and that the matter be closed.

It can't be that serious to leak information if a simple apology is adequate?
    Is there not some sort of confidentiality agreement or code that has been breached or broken?

There doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent to stop similar leaks.
    Forum Member
    I think the Lib Dems have made an error here in backing him. I'd have asked him to resign personally and put my support behind someone less tarnished in a by-election which they might lose, but at least they'd have shown some principles which would be remembered.

They might be at a low point at the moment but they do actually have supporters across Scotland and could contest many elections throughout Scotland. They also have some very good politicians - or that was always how I traditionally thought of them. Sticking with this discredited MP will likely cost them a good few percentage points of votes at all levels for the next few years.

I'm looking forward to the HoC getting underway to see how this issue plays out. I'm expecting a very sheepish apology.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Nice to see that Malcolm Bruce has strong opinions about MPs who lie to win elections
    Oldham verdict price of lying

========================================================================================

The court ruling which, subject to a judicial review, has cost Phil Woolas his parliamentary career, shows that lying about an opponent to win a seat has potentially devastating consequences.

Mr Woolas defeated his Liberal Democrat opponent by just 103 votes and it seems highly likely the damagingly untruthful publications he put out made the difference.

Once the Speaker of the House of Commons has ruled, there will be a by-election in which the people of Oldham East and Saddleworth will have the chance to choose a new representative.
    http://malcolmbruce.org.uk/en/article/2010/0023877/november-column-3

STOP PRESS
    Only applies to other parties, Lib Dems can lie all they want
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32881672
    Politicians tell "brazen lies", senior Lib Dem Sir Malcolm Bruce has claimed as he defended the actions of ex-Scottish Secretary Alistair Carmichael.
  • BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/islands/591537/internet-crowd-funding-bid-oust-alistair-carmichael/

Some more impressive grassroots activism from the Scottish electorate.

A crowd-fund campaign to oust Orkney and Shetland MP Alistair Carmichael from his seat, has raised more than £11,000.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think he should take the Chiltern Hundreds. If this had come out during the election campaign, he could conceivably have lost his seat and the LDs would have been down to 7 with no representation in Scotland. That could yet happen in 2020 if he digs his heels in and other LDs line up to defend him. Still, if the LDs are still absolutely set on self-immolation, I guess one can hardly stop them.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,857
    Forum Member
    Yes and as its a criminal offence to do leaks, then criminal proceedings imo should be considered as well. I think he was mega arrogant as well as desperate in doing this. I think the Lib Dems should chuck him out of the the party too.
  • tarotangeltarotangel Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a lot of us here want him out and to have a by-election. He's supposed to have a surgery on Thursday in Lerwick but we'll see if he turns up.
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tarotangel wrote: »
    Quite a lot of us here want him out and to have a by-election. He's supposed to have a surgery on Thursday in Lerwick but we'll see if he turns up.

Is there a feeling that you want him out and replaced with another Lib Dem or is there a feeling that the SNP would better represent your area?