Options

Vodafone are launching Fibre Broadband and Home Phone

Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Vodafone text me today regarding their new Fibre Broadband produce. Can register interest here:

http://vodafone.co.uk/vodafone_connect/

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone text me today regarding their new Fibre Broadband produce. Can register interest here:

http://vodafone.co.uk/vodafone_connect/

I was thinking before I got plusnet of waiting to see what Vodafone came out with, but things went haywire, so I had little choice but to chose a ISP.

I have got nothing yet from Vodafone, not that I can take them up on any offer as I still got 17 months contract. :(

Saying that I am looking at dropping vodafone as my mobile phone network anyway.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Vodafone have been smart enough to take advantage of owning Cable and Wireless in doing this (as C&W already own a small-ish LLU network)
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets hope they offer broadband only offers as well, as this is a market that has been allowed to shrink over time, but still much prefer this route and not put all my eggs in one basket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    Lets hope they offer broadband only offers as well, as this is a market that has been allowed to shrink over time, but still much prefer this route and not put all my eggs in one basket.

I agree with you, but I doubt it will happen, they will at least want you to have line rental from them.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    I wonder if Vodafone have been smart enough to take advantage of owning Cable and Wireless in doing this (as C&W already own a small-ish LLU network)

I'm sure they'll utilise every bit of the network that they own. They'll have to also decide if it makes financial sense to add more LLU equipment inside exchanges that are close to the C&W network but that don't currently have C&W LLU.
  • Options
    mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think i'll wait for this to mature a bit first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SSE have put their prices down for two years. Goo offers if they offer a decent service. Shame that I am in a 18 month contract,.

https://www.sse.co.uk/PhoneAndBroadband/Products/
  • Options
    Gareth_BeerGareth_Beer Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Wish Vodafone would focus their energies on rolling out decent 4G, 3G and even 2G!!!

They are easily distracted - and lose sight of their core business...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish Vodafone would focus their energies on rolling out decent 4G, 3G and even 2G!!!

They are easily distracted - and lose sight of their core business...

i am not bothered about 4G, but I think they should sort out the quality of their network around here. Yesterday I was expecting a important call and my phone lost signal in the middle of town and I missed the call, not good at all.

Thankfully they did phone me back this morning.

The problem is it seems no other network is any better, in fact EE and 3 is worse around here, o2 is only just above them.,
  • Options
    voodoofishvoodoofish Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Has anyone heard any more about this? My contract with BT for Infinity just ended, so I'm wondering whether to 'renegotiate' with BT or wait and see what Vodafone offer.
  • Options
    Mike_PMike_P Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Bit bemused by the broadband announcement of Vodaphone as they bought Demon a while back and customers have been invoiced by Vodaphone since then.
  • Options
    voodoofishvoodoofish Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Vodafone broadband (branded Vodafone Connect) looks like it's available now: http://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/index.htm

The price plans are cheaper than BT for existing customers, although currently I use an Apple router with the openreach modem - the Vodafone router doesn't even specify if it has ethernet so I'm not sure how well it would work with my existing setup. I'm out of my contract with BT though so might be worth threatening to switch to Vodafone to see if BT will match the pricing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    voodoofish wrote: »
    Vodafone broadband (branded Vodafone Connect) looks like it's available now: http://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband/index.htm

The price plans are cheaper than BT for existing customers, although currently I use an Apple router with the openreach modem - the Vodafone router doesn't even specify if it has ethernet so I'm not sure how well it would work with my existing setup. I'm out of my contract with BT though so might be worth threatening to switch to Vodafone to see if BT will match the pricing.

I'm a bit bemused why they are only offering this in a few areas. They definitely have LLU equipment in more areas than are live for Vodafone Connect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    I'm a bit bemused why they are only offering this in a few areas. They definitely have LLU equipment in more areas than are live for Vodafone Connect.

Maybe they are soft launching it first just to make sure it all goes well.
  • Options
    sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    From the snippets I've read/seen/heard I think it's

A) soft launch - they have an all new network, all new call centre & and all new billing to deal with. So sure they would want to stagger the rollout rather than over stretch the back office.

B) they appear to be putting 2x10gb back haul into the BT exchanges rather than using the normal 1x1gb of BT and other networks. I guess they launch as they install the back haul. (Source: A BT Open reach engineer is a friend)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sethpet wrote: »
    From the snippets I've read/seen/heard I think it's

A) soft launch - they have an all new network, all new call centre & and all new billing to deal with. So sure they would want to stagger the rollout rather than over stretch the back office.

B) they appear to be putting 2x10gb back haul into the BT exchanges rather than using the normal 1x1gb of BT and other networks. I guess they launch as they install the back haul. (Source: A BT Open reach engineer is a friend)

Interesting. That makes sense, sounds like a good source. Your friend must work directly on that stuff as most Openreach engineers wouldn't know about rental of backhaul.
  • Options
    unouno Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As well as the stated upgrades to exchange back hauls Vodafone are currently very busy all over the country upgrading the Ex C&W core network to help support this and the mobile services I believe it is 100GB in most places currently.

The core upgrades are the part reason why the TV product has been delayed as they want most of the work completing before they launch that