Obscure, But Good Programmes That could be Revived for TV

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
Forum Member
Apologies if there is another thread covering this subject. But I was thinking. Since TV companies are busy reviving stuff from the past, e.g. “To the Manor Born at Christmas, Come Dancing, Dr Who is re-booted and even Mr and Mrs is supposed to be coming back with a celebrity version. I wonder what really good series from the past could be revived. Not just the obvious ones, but more obscure ones too.

Any thoughts. I had a quick look on the internet and came up with some ideas. Of course, they would have to be brought up to date. But I think the basic ideas were so good they would still be of interest to viewers today.

These are the ones I think could make a come back (details from IMDB)

Quizzes

1 “Whodunit” (1974 - 1978) – With Jon Pertwee. The prog had a little play where a murder occurred. Then a celebrity panel guessed who done it by asking questions. Just right for celebrity TV. :D

2. The Golden Shot – (1967 – 1974) Bob Monkhouse, Norman Vaughn and Charlie Williams. – Hosts. Quiz prog famous for its awful prizes. ;)

Dramas

1. The Gold Robbers – (1969) A sophisticated gang steal a load of gold bullion from a plane. Each week during the opening credits, you got to see a bit more of the Robbery. Till you saw how the whole robbery takes place. Story is shown in “24” style. Would make an excellent similar type thriller.

2. Callan – (1968 – 1972) The cold-blooded killer spy with a conscience. Starred Edward Woodward)

3. Private Eye - (1965 – 1975) Down at heel private eye who works in the seedy side of the profession but who retains his dignity. Starred Alfred Burke

4. The Power Game (1965 – 1969) – The political intrigues in corporate big business. Starred Patrick Wymark.

5. Budgie (1971 – 1972) Starred Adam Faith and Iain Cuthbertson. Budgie (Faith) was a small time crook trying to make his way in life despite being constantly harassed by the police, a big time crook, Charlie Endell (Cuthbertson) and his girl friend Hazell. :D

6. The Sweeney – (1975 – 1978) Ok not obscure I know but in the light of the success and popularity of DI Gene Hunt in Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes perhaps it’s time for the return of a really non PC crime prog with a “dinosaur” as it’s lead.

Comedy/ Family

1. The Good Life. (1975 – 1978). What ever happened to Tom and Barbara. Did she stay with him, Did they make a go of their self-sufficiency. How did they cope with getting older. Plus what about Margo. As Paul Eddington is gone, perhaps she married again or turned into Miss Mountshaft.

Plus, Father, Dear Father, Bless This House, Doctor in the House etc.

These are just a few ideas. Any more ?????

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Ultra-violet. (before blade)

Krypton Factor, any day. before modern reality-tv.

North Square.

All Contemporary, enough age, but not needing re-imagining.

Yours Kindly,

MN
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    The Good Life could work (the subject matter more prevalent now then it was then).

Bless This House,FDF are firmly of there time in comedy and story.

Whodunnit would probably be ok

The Sweeney is being turned into a big screen movie and it's maverick style of policing is very much something of the past and would be quite unrealistic in the modern police.

Also like Callan,The Sweeney was made in a way and budget that BBC (and certainly ITV) would more then likely not finance thesedays.

Gold Robber's plot is firmly from the sixties era also and would not really be believable enough in this era,as is Budgie's.

Private Eyes and Power Game could go down well though.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    How about Tripods; The Avengers (New, New, Avengers!); Blakes 7; Jason King and Crown Court.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    thanks everyone. i agree with your comments. Krypton Factor and Crown Court would be good. Perhaps you are right about Sweeney, but I think Budgie might work still
  • Hollo and GonchHollo and Gonch Posts: 4,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see The Adam & Joe Show revived :)

It's not from the distant past, but hey.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Treasure Hunt . . . .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't remember Whodunit first time round but I remember Cluedo in the early 90's on ITV sounding very similar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Treasure Hunt . . . .

"Stop the clock"

End of thread!

:D
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I thought there was talk of reviving Crown Court, well the format.

I remember bunking off School and watching Crown Court, it's got to be a pretty cheap format, there must be Court room sets sitting in storage somewhere, add a good script actors and away you go.

Any chance of reviving Emerdale, the way it used to be, you know 'normal' relationships farming and the like, I liked it then.
    No?
    Didn't think so...
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually PUBLIC EYE, not PRIVATE EYE (do you see what they did there?) and I agree, could easily be updated to good effect... CALLAN was great too, but wasn't THE EQUALISER meant to be the "unofficial sequel," and isn't that being re-done?

THE POWER GAME was great, Patrick Wymark was just so intense in it... actually, there used to be lots of these "boardroom intrigue" dramas around - HADLEIGH, THE BROTHERS etc., but not so much now...

I loved BUDGIE at the time, but aren't convinced it could be updated successfully. Does anyone else remember the sequel/spin-off CHARLES ENDELL ESQUIRE? Iain Cuthbertson was great in that, as was Annie Ross... not ripe for rebooting though...

Wasn't CROWN COURT resurrected last year or maybe the year before? I didn't see it myself but am sure I read reviews of it at the time, though it disappeared quickly enough so I presume it didn't do that well...

My candidate would be Gerry Anderson's UFO - the original's look and feel has dated horribly (though many of the SFX are still stunning) but the stories are sound enough, and the overall concept of a secret organisation dealing with aliens whilst haggling with the government over budgets, personnel etc. could be done really well, though the central notion of the aliens kidnapping humans one at a time for transplant surgery was always a bit iffy...
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love Whodunnit. If I remember correctly it was on Monday nights in the Opportunity Knocks slot, and used to feature Patrick Mower quite a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • kinseyjafkinseyjaf Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about either The Champions or The Baron,they might work today?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Follyfoot.

Bring it forward to 2008 with Steve and Dora married, now in their late fifties, and their youngest daughter centre stage as the new central character.

A lot of the show's original storylines still stand up today, so the show could remain true to its original ethos of finding one's feet in the world and doing one's bit to counter all the evil and cruelty that surrounds us.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't CROWN COURT resurrected last year or maybe the year before? I didn't see it myself but am sure I read reviews of it at the time, though it disappeared quickly enough so I presume it didn't do that well...

There were a handful of 90 min long episodes produced in the early 90s or so and there was a similar style programme on Channel 4 a few years ago
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From Norwich, it's the Quiz of the week!!!

Sale of the Century
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    GH Online wrote: »
    Follyfoot.

Bring it forward to 2008 with Steve and Dora married, now in their late fifties, and their youngest daughter centre stage as the new central character.

A lot of the show's original storylines still stand up today, so the show could remain true to its original ethos of finding one's feet in the world and doing one's bit to counter all the evil and cruelty that surrounds us.

Yea, but wouldn't the lightning tree be long gone by now ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, but wouldn't the lightning tree be long gone by now ?
    I think it's still there, if you look at the recent photos/video on the Follyfoot fan site. But the rest of the farm is very sadly abandoned and decayed. And under several foot of grass.

Follyfoot was made on the Harewood estate, currently home to Emmerdale, and the mansion which doubled as the Colonel's residence was also re-used as Oakwell Hall in Emmerdale (internally it's still the same).
  • Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    The Krypton Factor, or maybe The Crystal Maze.

They could do a very good version of Knightmare these days, with VR cameras and the like.

And I think in these days where people are a lot more savvy with the idea of interactive reality TV, that old Ray Cokes show Wanted could do really well now.

Also, videogames are a lot more popular now then ever before, so it's about time a decent show like GamesMaster was back on mainstream TV.

As for drama, following on from This Life +10, how about Press Gang +20?
    I'd like to see The Adam & Joe Show revived :)

It's not from the distant past, but hey.

No, you're right, they've been off our screens (as a double act) for far too long!
  • FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gladiators.

The Crystal Maze.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    North Square.

North Square was great.

It would be good to see some of the other suggestions again - Callan and Public Eye for instance - because my recollection is that they were good, gritty dramas with strong, quite dislikeable characters.

Another series that had that feel was Gangsters, about the rise of black and Asian criminals in Birmingham. The critics weren't keen at the time but I think it could be worth another look.
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seconding Gladiators.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was that channel four show where 4 people I think were on the run for a week and had to avoid being caught or seen?

Richard Littlejohn the host.

Animal Magic with Bill Oddie would be good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_Upon_a_Time..._Man - was an excellent cartoon series for kids (but adults would enjoy it too).
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blankety Blank! Itw as great to see that one-off repeat, over Christmas. Sadly, Les Dawson isn't available, but HM King Terry Wogan would be good.

Treasure Hunt again would be lovely. The revamped version, a few years back, didn't pack the punch that the origianl had. No need for exotic locations every episode, when the original thrived on landing in village fetes and steam fairs.

I am watching DVDs of a 70s crime-thriller called The XYY Man. It's really made me think there's no "proper" crime series happening now. It's all police (generally sleeping with each other). A series from the criminal's view, full of seedy pubs, ponces, toms, etc. Lots of dialogue about "shooter", "bird", etc.

chuff.x.
  • crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    What was that 80s comedy the theme tune was "Living on the Frontline"?
    Bring it back.

My old faves were TJ Hooker, Nightrider, Quincy, Hill Street Blues.