Breadmaker - which one? and questions

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
Forum Member
Hi everyone and Happy Christmas to you all.

I am starting to bake my own bread, mainly baguettes, batards and country (French) bread.

I want to get a breadmaker to produce the bread.

However is this possible? It may sound like a silly question, but most of the breadmakers i have had a look at have 'poundage' loaf sizes, i.e. 1lb or 1.5lb. Does that mean you can only make loaves of that size, or is it possible to make a recipe for a baguette that i want to be 200-250g for example, and it work just as well?

Also, any recommendations on a breadmaker would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can do the dough for any type of bread, prove it once and knock it back in the bread maker. Then take it out, shape it how you want, do the 2nd prove and bake it in the oven.

I don't know of any domestic (although they might be available and I haven't seen them) that will do baguettes and such.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    You can do the dough for any type of bread, prove it once and knock it back in the bread maker. Then take it out, shape it how you want, do the 2nd prove and bake it in the oven.

I don't know of any domestic (although they might be available and I haven't seen them) that will do baguettes and such.

Thanks for the reply.

So does that mean that yes, you can shape it however you want, i.e. baguette, batard, country bread, etc... and it will work? Or are you saying you haven't seen them so it isn't possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said, you can do the mixing, first prove and knock back in the bread maker. Then you will need to take the dough out, shape it how you want, leave it to prove somewhere like you normally would and then bake it in your oven, not the bread maker.
    Forum Member
    As I said, you can do the mixing, first prove and knock back in the bread maker. Then you will need to take the dough out, shape it how you want, leave it to prove somewhere like you normally would and then bake it in your oven, not the bread maker.

Ah right i see!

No problem, thanks for the explanation!
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    I've only one word to say to anyone looking at getting a bread maker: Panasonic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Save your money ... for those types of bread, you are better off doing it by hand.

It's fun, and once you get into the swing of things, it doesn't take much of your time.

In my experience, it is hard to get really good french type baguettes at home though, you have to get T550 flour and lots of domestic ovens don't get hot enough ... Though you can get some good results if you put your mind to it.

Personally, my bread making hero is Dan Lepard. He has a great forum here. He has some good books, but you should get by with the forum.

He has some interesting techniques where you do very little kneading (if that is what is putting you off).... you do you only do it for 30 secs, rest for a 30 mins, then another 30 sec knead etc ...
    Forum Member
    Gwaant wrote: »
    Save your money ... for those types of bread, you are better off doing it by hand.

It's fun, and once you get into the swing of things, it doesn't take much of your time.

In my experience, it is hard to get really good french type baguettes at home though, you have to get T550 flour and lots of domestic ovens don't get hot enough ... Though you can get some good results if you put your mind to it.

Personally, my bread making hero is Dan Lepard. He has a great forum here. He has some good books, but you should get by with the forum.

He has some interesting techniques where you do very little kneading (if that is what is putting you off).... you do you only do it for 30 secs, rest for a 30 mins, then another 30 sec knead etc ...

Thanks a lot for the reply and the link, i will have a look on his forum and register!
  • Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I make lovely breads with my breadmaker & sweet buns too. I let the machine do the mixing & kneading then just tip it out & finish by hand & in the oven.
    Forum Member
    I make lovely breads with my breadmaker & sweet buns too. I let the machine do the mixing & kneading then just tip it out & finish by hand & in the oven.

Sounds nice!

Do you have any pics of breads you have made?
  • Posh BlokePosh Bloke Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    That Bloke wrote: »

Seconded!
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Bloke wrote: »
    Posh Bloke wrote: »
    Seconded!

Thirded! I have never had a duff loaf yet from mine :)
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Posh Bloke wrote: »
    Seconded!

Whatever number we're at, I'd also recommend Panasonic. Although I believe the Kenwood one's also very good, it's just a bit big for my cupboard!
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have tried so many times to get my proven dough out of the bread maker to make buns and baguettes. But I always set it wrong and get cooked bread:o With the obligatory hole in the bottom from the blades:o

I'm going to have to ask OH to program it aren't I?:cry:
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried so many times to get my proven dough out of the bread maker to make buns and baguettes. But I always set it wrong and get cooked bread:o With the obligatory hole in the bottom from the blades:o

I'm going to have to ask OH to program it aren't I?:cry:

Yes, you are!

The Panasonic's dead easy to program, it's all in the instruction book. Even the "blade hole" isn't too bad. I had a Morphy Richards breadmaker before, it was useless, the bread wouldn't come out of the pan at all, and it never rose properly. Packet of bread mix, 2 hours, job done and fresh bread with the Panasonic, it's great.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Yes, you are!

The Panasonic's dead easy to program, it's all in the instruction book. Even the "blade hole" isn't too bad. I had a Morphy Richards breadmaker before, it was useless, the bread wouldn't come out of the pan at all, and it never rose properly. Packet of bread mix, 2 hours, job done and fresh bread with the Panasonic, it's great.

I'll double check, but I think mine is a Panasonic:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an MR and never had a bad loaf out of it. They always rise and are lovely. I have heard consistently good things about Panasonic though.
  • orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you like housebrick loaves buy anything but a Panasonic. Panasonic's are the best, about a £100 in the shops and about £70 ish online.

They make a half size loaf and the quick setting takes 2 hours. Try the recipes they give you first and then try experimenting as it makes substantial differences in taste and texture. I find putting the sugar and yeast together and adding a bit more water makes a Warburtons type of loaf, but even nicer. If you are into baguettes and bun loaves and plaits etc you can just use the machine for mixing and use your oven as usual.

If you want standard fresh bread every morning use the timer and the smell gets up even if your alarm clock fails.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Panasonic here too..

Excellent plain loaves and lots of recipes in the booklet that comes with it to make variations.
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an MR and never had a bad loaf out of it. They always rise and are lovely. I have heard consistently good things about Panasonic though.

Mine too, I got it at Xmas last year and it's brilliant, never had a problem with loaves rising, it just makes consistently delicious bread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is a Panasonic and I highly recommend it. :)

As someone else said, you can chuck the ingredients in, let the machine do the kneading and rising part, then do all the fancy bits yourself.
  • Posh BlokePosh Bloke Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    If you are after a Panasonic one then do check ebay. I bought my one one there for £14 last year. Someone bought it, used it a couple of times and put it in the cupboard. What a bargain and you might get lucky if some fool sells an unwanted present after Christmas.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another Panasonic fan here. I put the ingredients in the pan at bedtime, and set the timer to finish the loaf at the time I get up. I don't bother using the dough setting and baking the loaf in the oven. The only variations I use are the types of flour e.g. White loaf, Brown loaf, Wholemeal or part-wholemeal.
  • Color of NightColor of Night Posts: 2,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Panasonic seems to be the best I have used.
  • gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    I bought my mum a panasonic a few years ago for Christmas really easy to use and makes lovely bread and cakes :)
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone and Happy Christmas to you all.

I am starting to bake my own bread, mainly baguettes, batards and country (French) bread.

I want to get a breadmaker to produce the bread.

However is this possible? It may sound like a silly question, but most of the breadmakers i have had a look at have 'poundage' loaf sizes, i.e. 1lb or 1.5lb. Does that mean you can only make loaves of that size, or is it possible to make a recipe for a baguette that i want to be 200-250g for example, and it work just as well?

Also, any recommendations on a breadmaker would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance.

Buy a Panasonic breadmaker...they are the best you can buy.
    I've got one and its one of the best appliances i have bought.
    If anything went wrong with it i would buy another.