Deal to combat piracy in UK with 'alerts' is imminent

Satellite JohnSatellite John Posts: 1,881
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27330150

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/05/uk-isps-agree-weakened-voluntary-internet-piracy-warning-letters.html

After years of wrangling, a deal between entertainment industry bodies and UK internet service providers to help combat piracy is imminent.

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    i saw that.

it talks about letters to people suspected of piracy. how might someone be suspected of piracy?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BPI are the equivalent to tabloids who printed over the top headlines just to try and sell more papers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How exactly will ISPs go about monitoring people's packets? There must be goodness knows how many packets that'll pass through the mentioned ISPs' network at a time. Is someone going to sit there and trawl through each of their customers' packets logs to see where their packets have went? If it'll be done automatically, they'll have to go trawling the internet in search of every single torrent site out there. Unless there's some other way of doing it. I sort of think this could be just scaremongering again from those idiots at the BPI.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    And if they have such an automatic device that can somehow detect an illegal torrent from a totally legal one, (Remember torrents and P2P is not illegal, it's the content that matters) then they with just find a way of encrypting the torrent so that it either can't be looked at or make it look like a normal piece of traffic.

Sorry, but this is something that will never be stopped.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So glad I am not with one of the large providers, and people thought I would be better off with BT or Talk Talk.
    I am not saying that I pirate stuff, but now and again I will download something to have a look/listen to what it is like and if I like i will buy the Cd or DVD. Most of my downloads that way is software, again to have a look and see if it does what I want, but only if there is no trial.

i also download my linux distros by torrent, they could be flagged as well.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    How exactly will ISPs go about monitoring people's packets? There must be goodness knows how many packets that'll pass through the mentioned ISPs' network at a time. Is someone going to sit there and trawl through each of their customers' packets logs to see where their packets have went? If it'll be done automatically, they'll have to go trawling the internet in search of every single torrent site out there. Unless there's some other way of doing it. I sort of think this could be just scaremongering again from those idiots at the BPI.
    And if they have such an automatic device that can somehow detect an illegal torrent from a totally legal one, (Remember torrents and P2P is not illegal, it's the content that matters) then they with just find a way of encrypting the torrent so that it either can't be looked at or make it look like a normal piece of traffic.

Sorry, but this is something that will never be stopped.

Both great statements, also various sites like Rapidshare etc hold a lot of legal material as well as illegal material. I only download films illegally that I have purchased as it is quicker than ripping n encoding a Blu-ray, I like to have a backup of the film I have purchased, so that I can watch on any of my portable devices, I never buy a film more than once. Also I no longer download music, I buy the music from Artists / Bands that I respect from either the band themselves or from somewhere cheaper than HMV, I refuse to pay import prices for a CD that isn't top 40 material. I wouldn't even illegally download the latest Now album, due to wasting HDD space from the amount of sh!t on it. I do however rip any CD's I purchase so that I can listen to it on the move, as sometimes Spotify premium removes tracks from certain albums.

Once again the tools in the Industry have come up with an idea that

Will Never Work !
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Educational letters indeed, what a load of claptrap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is no packet monitoring involved. Scanning Torrent trackers to find the IP addresses of those sharing copyright material is fairly easy with the right software, and has been going on for some years (anyone remember ACS:Law?).

If you use a proxy or VPN, or if you use Usenet or file hosts, then this probably wont affect you in any way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jittlov wrote: »
    There is no packet monitoring involved. Scanning Torrent trackers to find the IP addresses of those sharing copyright material is fairly easy with the right software, and has been going on for some years (anyone remember ACS:Law?).

If you use a proxy or VPN, or if you use Usenet or file hosts, then this probably wont affect you in any way.

And yet hardly any prosecutions or fines have been heard about in the past. I still think it's just scaremongering tactics from the BPI. If the film industry had used this a lot in the past, I think there would have been quite a few reports about it. I also think our news channels would have reported it as well, what with some over here also doing it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet hardly any prosecutions or fines have been heard about in the past. I still think it's just scaremongering tactics from the BPI. If the film industry had used this a lot in the past, I think there would have been quite a few reports about it. I also think our news channels would have reported it as well, what with some over here also doing it.

It hasn't been used so much in the UK, except by ACS:Law and Davenport Lyons a few years ago (it didn't end well for either), but there have been major cases in Europe and the U.S. where smaller companies are trying to sue Torrent users for insane amounts of money.

The BPI's clients don't seem to be interested in cash settlements (what are the chances of getting £10,000 from a minimum wage earner) and instead have been pushing for a "three strikes then a ban" approach for years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hasn't been used so much in the UK, except by ACS:Law and Davenport Lyons a few years ago (it didn't end well for either), but there have been major cases in Europe and the U.S. where smaller companies are trying to sue Torrent users for insane amounts of money.

The BPI's clients don't seem to be interested in cash settlements (what are the chances of getting £10,000 from a minimum wage earner) and instead have been pushing for a "three strikes then a ban" approach for years.

I've never understood why torrent clients, or some of them, show the IP addresses of the downloaders. Anyway, it's probably just a lot of hot air from the BPI.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to say that after reading the article again, I'm disappointed in BT if they voluntarily agreed a deal with the BPI. If they were forced into it, fine. If they weren't, very disappointing.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    i saw that.

it talks about letters to people suspected of piracy. how might someone be suspected of piracy?

IP address probably even though IP addresses are a horrible way of identifying people.
  • dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "After four alerts have been sent to an individual, the ISPs will take no further action."

What is the point of this is, if there's no further action?!
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If someone is using a Torrent client to download Breaking Bad what has that got to do with the BPI anyway?
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    dillan wrote: »
    "After four alerts have been sent to an individual, the ISPs will take no further action."

What is the point of this is, if there's no further action?!
    It is not (yet!!!) aimed at the persistent illegal downloader - the whole scheme is aimed at deterring and informing the casual person who may not have realised it is illegal (or that he was doing anything wrong).

While the ISPs are not going to do anything more they ARE going to store details of what they find (AFAIR!). In the event that (some time later) the Copyright Owners get a Court Order to release these details the customer would have zero defence - as he would have been warned 4 times!
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve Kuncewicz, an expert in online and internet law, agreed. He speculated that the deal "may be a Trojan horse exercise in gathering intelligence about how seriously downloaders take threats".

In other words, if it can be shown that asking nicely does not have a significant effect on curbing piracy, rights holders will for the first time have a seriously credible set of data with which to apply pressure for harder enforcement on those who simply do not want to pay for entertainment.

Sneaky.
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i expect this will just be short term and more stringent measures will come in a over the next couple of years. weve got off quite lightly here in the UK compaired to other countrys no fines, no six strikes rules yet over here but i expect this as a sign of things to come.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i expect this will just be short term and more stringent measures will come in a over the next couple of years. weve got off quite lightly here in the UK compaired to other countrys no fines, no six strikes rules yet over here but i expect this as a sign of things to come.

As I wrote in my GD thread on the subject, I do believe that this is the first step in implementing the Digital Economy Act by the back door.
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't download offen but I have seen me now and again downloading a song I may have heard on the radio that I like and have not got.

Darren
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet - all they need to do is sort out the creation of a proper wholesale market for digital rights, and quit this exclusivity-to-one-retailer crap.

And set up PRS-type returns processes to allow digital "video libraries" able to get anything and everything.
    Stick to open playable standards in the transcode...
    Done.
    No hassle.
    People then go to the retail rental place that supports their kit... they can access what they want for a reasonable fee.

Offer a better retail/rental experience than the pirates. Simples.

We're getting there - but we're still in the realm of (content) only on VHS OR Beta...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    And yet - all they need to do is sort out the creation of a proper wholesale market for digital rights, and quit this exclusivity-to-one-retailer crap.

And set up PRS-type returns processes to allow digital "video libraries" able to get anything and everything.
    Stick to open playable standards in the transcode...
    Done.
    No hassle.
    People then go to the retail rental place that supports their kit... they can access what they want for a reasonable fee.

Offer a better retail/rental experience than the pirates. Simples.

We're getting there - but we're still in the realm of (content) only on VHS OR Beta...

The problem is cronyism. The entertainment industries have become used to having government protect their monopoly on culture as has been happening for decades. Thankfully the Internet makes that extremely difficult, if not impossible and they cannot stand that.

The whole fight against piracy is all about regaining the control that has been long lost and is not coming back no matter how much money they throw at government.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is cronyism. The entertainment industries have become used to having government protect their monopoly on culture as has been happening for decades. Thankfully the Internet makes that extremely difficult, if not impossible and they cannot stand that.

The whole fight against piracy is all about regaining the control that has been long lost and is not coming back no matter how much money they throw at government.

The industry's feeling threaten by the very fast upload speeds of these fibre connections, and also the superfast download speeds as well. I never saw the aggressiveness coming from the BPI when 8Mbit connections were the fastest, I think, back in 2009. Faster connections was always going to happen though. It was inevitable that BT would do something to speed up people's broadband. The same thing will likely happen in about 2 years from now.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'educational' letters that ISPs send out will probably come as a big surprise to less savvy users of Vuze etc who don't understand how downloading works, and think these apps are merely 'how to watch free movies'.

When I used to repair computers (usually malware acquired from torrents), I would politely suggest the pc owner refrained from using torrents to prevent future infections. The user was usually flabbergasted to be told they were involved in illegal downloading. Often their kids had installed the software and shown them how to search for stuff, and the parent had no idea they were doing anything wrong, or that they could easily be traced.

Whilst people on these forums may know all about copyright, ip addresses etc and take calculated risks, believe it or not, there are folk out there who haven't a clue. The letters they get will literally be educational.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Another reason why I use a VPN even though I have "nothing to hide".