Wasps Build Giant Nest In Woman's Spare Bed

housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
Forum Member
Omg it would frighted me to death I hate wasps

A pest controller received a shock when he was called to deal with a wasps' nest covering most of a single bed in a woman's spare bedroom.

John Birkett of Longwood Services Pest Control insects said the insects must have been building the giant nest in the house in Winchester, Hampshire for the whole summer.

He estimated the huge colony contained about 5,000 wasps, thousands more grubs and around 500 young queens.

In order to deal with it he had to spend several hours fumigating the room wearing a bee suit as the insects attempted to sting him to fend him off.

He told Sky News: "When I went upstairs and went into the room, It was the most amazing sight I had ever seen.

http://news.sky.com/story/1325695/wasps-build-giant-nest-in-womans-spare-bed

Comments

• stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Looks normal sized to me. Wasps make lovely nests.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There must be a sting in this story.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    She obviously doesn't do much dusting :p
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Oh God, I wish I hadn't clicked on the link! I absolutely hate wasps.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Amazing" is not the first word that I would have thought of.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least he saved the knitted bedspread. Phew, that is a relief. :p

I think I'd have to move or burn my house down if that happened to me...
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I like the comment that she should have kept it and started a youtube channel, hehe!
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pest controller received a shock when he was called to deal with a wasps' nest covering most of a single bed in a woman's spare bedroom.

<pedant>The nest in the article only covers a third of the bed, at most.</pedant>
  • The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather have a bee hive in the garden.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was waiting at the bus stop this morning when another gentleman was stung by a Wasp. This time of year they are getting drowsy and slowing down and more likely to sting.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I dont understand is how the nest got so big. The guy doing the removal said it would have taken 3 months for the wasps to build a nest that big. However the women said the wasps must have gotten in through an open window. I know it was a spare room but how on earth did she not notice in 3 months that it was full of wasps.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never knew wasps were that considerate, to use her spare bedroom. If they had left the toilet seat up they would have been discovered sooner.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember reading a long time ago about a wasp nest in Australia. The temperate climate there meant that they don't die out in the winter months, as they do in the UK. In that case, the wasps built a massive nest in a house owners attic, and he either didn't notice it or (much more likely) didn't bother to do anything about it. Over the course of the year, the nest got so big that it eventually collapsed through the ceiling and landed on the poor chap who was asleep in the bed below. He was stung to death, and his corpse was not discovered for quite some time.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    I remember reading a long time ago about a wasp nest in Australia. The temperate climate there meant that they don't die out in the winter months, as they do in the UK. In that case, the wasps built a massive nest in a house owners attic, and he either didn't notice it or (much more likely) didn't bother to do anything about it. Over the course of the year, the nest got so big that it eventually collapsed through the ceiling and landed on the poor chap who was asleep in the bed below. He was stung to death, and his corpse was not discovered for quite some time.

I like how this story went from sort of odd but funny, to dark and macabre. Being woken by a ton of wasps, I dont think much can be worse.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they were just trying to avoid the bedroom tax
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    SuperHet wrote: »
    I think they were just trying to avoid the bedroom tax

Lol I never thought of that :D
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    I want to cry
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    housegirl wrote: »
    In order to deal with it he had to spend several hours fumigating the room wearing a bee suit as the insects attempted to sting him to fend him off.

I assume 'bee suit' refers to some sort of protective clothing and that he wasn't actually dressed as a bumble bee. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How could you possibly not know you had that in your house, was she senile? :confused:
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    pics or it didn't happen :D
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member
    :o *Runs out of thread*
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog found a nest on the riverbank, got stung & cried all the way home :(
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume 'bee suit' refers to some sort of protective clothing and that he wasn't actually dressed as a bumble bee. :D

What a shame, he should have really been dressed as a bee ----anyhow, what sort of person doesn't notice there is a wasp nest being built in one of her rooms?
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if she has no need to go in it very often and they weren't making any noise, it's plausible.

We had a nest in our house last year, they were coming through a vent in the bathroom, travelling along the walls and dropping out into MY window sill where there was light. It was around this time last year so they were majorly droopy.

Took us almost 3 days to discover how they were entering the room :o