Comments

• jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV ties confirmed (from The FA website):
    The televised ties in full are:

Sunday 4 January 2015
    Dover Athletic v Crystal Palace – 1pm on BT Sport 1
    Accrington Stanley or Yeovil Town v Manchester United – 3.30pm on BT Sport 1
    Arsenal v Hull City – 5.30pm on BBC1

Monday 5 January 2015
    AFC Wimbledon v Liverpool – 7.55pm on BBC1

Tuesday 6 January 2015
    Everton v West Ham United – 7.45pm on BT Sport 1

Alongside the live games they are screening, BBC audiences will be able to go behind the scenes at one of the clubs involved in Third Round weekend on Football Focus and The FA Cup special Final Score will bring all the results and drama from the afternoon’s fixtures.

Five Match of the Day Cup highlights shows are also planned for January.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everton v West Ham is a diabolical choice. BT have no interest in the magic of the cup.
  • JudioJudio Posts: 11,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Tuesday 6 January 2015
    That's a shocking pick.

As much as I disagree with it, I can understand the logic behind Arsenal v Hull. But in one of the best 3rd round draws in years, what on earth compels BT to pick a game that the fans of both clubs will struggle to get enthusiastic for?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBc Final score will clash with Man United !!

Will BT allow them to show the goals as they go in (Doubt it)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    Chelsea play on New Years Day (Thursday) at 5:30pm, so the game was likely to be on the Sunday. I'd guess they've chosen 4pm as its a fairly regular KO time for them. Would suggest its not a TV pick if the timings / slots mentioned so far are correct.

Think it is also to do with Arsenal playing at 530 whiich has now been announced

Easier for Met to Police if Chelsea and QPR finish while the Arsenal game has just started I guess (less crowds on the transport system)
  • Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the BBC website all the other matches kick off at 3pm on Saturday
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it looks like the picks were
    1 Liverpool
    2 Man U
    3 Dover
    4 Arsenal
    5 Everton
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoenix04 wrote: »
    According to the BBC website all the other matches kick off at 3pm on Saturday

They always do that until the changes are officially announced

At least 16 will move maybe 17 depending on Welsh TV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    1 Liverpool
    2 Man U
    3 Dover
    4 Arsenal
    5 Everton

No Blyth, they will be gutted to lose out on the TV fee
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 Liverpool
    2 Man U
    3 Dover
    4 Arsenal
    5 Everton

No I think BBC had 3rd pick. There's no way BT would pass up Arsenal v Hull.
  • Dwight1970Dwight1970 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Everton v West Ham is a diabolical choice. BT have no interest in the magic of the cup.

BT Sport is a commercial channel so seems a pretty logical choice for me, both clubs are pretty evenly matched this season with decent size fanbases and media appeal, in theory they are likely to see the FA Cup as a realistic chance of silverware so will take the game serious, with all due respect though many other ties might appeal to the romantic they probably make less commercial sense to a subscription broadcaster.
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 Liverpool
    2 Man U
    3 Dover
    4 Arsenal
    5 Everton

I doubt it - looks to me as if BBC had 3rd - picked Arsenal.

If BT had had 3rd they would have gone Arsenal - approach illustrated by fact they picked Everton for 5th.

Arsenal timeslot also far, far better than Dover.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,315
    Forum Member
    TV ties confirmed (from The FA website):
    The televised ties in full are:

Sunday 4 January 2015
    Dover Athletic v Crystal Palace – 1pm on BT Sport 1
    Accrington Stanley or Yeovil Town v Manchester United – 3.30pm on BT Sport 1
    Arsenal v Hull City – 5.30pm on BBC1

Monday 5 January 2015
    AFC Wimbledon v Liverpool – 7.55pm on BBC1

Tuesday 6 January 2015

Alongside the live games they are screening, BBC audiences will be able to go behind the scenes at one of the clubs involved in Third Round weekend on Football Focus and The FA Cup special Final Score will bring all the results and drama from the afternoon’s fixtures.

Five Match of the Day Cup highlights shows are also planned for January.

What's the 7:55pm kick off all about, what's wrong with the usual 7:45pm?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    What's the 7:55pm kick off all about, what's wrong with the usual 7:45pm?

I think they may be showing the 4th Round Draw before the game. Even without that, their 1st and 2nd Round games have kicked off at that time to allow for more build-up. Why not just 8pm I don't know.
  • Dwight1970Dwight1970 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Mark. wrote: »
    That's a shocking pick.

As much as I disagree with it, I can understand the logic behind Arsenal v Hull. But in one of the best 3rd round draws in years, what on earth compels BT to pick a game that the fans of both clubs will struggle to get enthusiastic for?

For pretty much the same reasons BT chose Arsenal v Hull, which by being played on the Sunday has a good chance of a least one or if not both sides playing weakened sides after New Years Day's fixtures whereas a game on the Tuesday less so, so it is obvious that BT's picks are purely commercial even if there were far more romantic fixtures availble..
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dwight1970 wrote: »
    BT Sport is a commercial channel so seems a pretty logical choice for me, both clubs are pretty evenly matched this season with decent size fanbases and media appeal, in theory they are likely to see the FA Cup as a realistic chance of silverware so will take the game serious, with all due respect though many other ties might appeal to the romantic they probably make less commercial sense to a subscription broadcaster.

Indeed - it's exactly the same on here year after year - posters want "interesting" / romantic ties to be picked.

Commercial broadcasters are running a business - and no different to any other business in any other industry they will put up for sale what makes the most commercial sense.

Would anyone expect, say, car and furniture manufacturers to put up for sale "interesting" products that don't make the most commercial sense? Of course not.

Obviously the BBC is different to a degree given it is not a profit maximising business.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Indeed - it's exactly the same on here year after year - posters want "interesting" / romantic ties to be picked.

Commercial broadcasters are running a business - and no different to any other business in any other industry they will put up for sale what makes the most commercial sense.

Car and furniture manufacturers wouldn't put up for sale "interesting" products that don't make the most commercial sense - commercial TV companies are exactly the same.

Obviously the BBC is different to a degree given it is not a profit maximising business.

I understand that, but Everton v West Ham isn't even remotely interesting. They might as well have gone for Chelsea v Watford.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they may be showing the 4th Round Draw before the game. Even without that, their 1st and 2nd Round games have kicked off at that time to allow for more build-up. Why not just 8pm I don't know.

I think it is due to what time they finish the programme

The extra 5 mins make all the difference with the 10 o clock news
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thing to note is that the BBC website confirms that 16 games will be played on Saturday, with highlights on MOTD. As well as the 3 televised games on Sunday, a further 11 games will take place, with "six hours of coverage to chart the progress." How many of these will be played in the FA Cup Final Score slot is unclear.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is due to what time they finish the programme

The extra 5 mins make all the difference with the 10 o clock news

Of course, it's a shame we can't have more post match reaction though as the BBC are insistent on the 10pm news starting on the dot.
  • gilstagilsta Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »

Would anyone expect, say, car and furniture manufacturers to put up for sale "interesting" products that don't make the most commercial sense? Of course not.

Pardon?

The only reason I don't have an interesting car is because I can't afford one.

Manufacturers make a killing of premium "interesting" products like luxury furniture or sports cars. The reason most people purchase the bog standard isn't because they want dull, it's because they can't afford anything else.

What BT have done here is offered a bog standard product for a premium price.

I'm a potential costumer like the other readers of this forum. We want interesting picks like Blyth v Brum because we, and other football fans, will watch that game.

No neutrals will have any more than a passing interest in Everton v West Ham. I doubt it will even be close to selling out due a lack of interest from those teams own fans. It's not interesting. And that makes for a crap product.
  • Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One argument in favour of Everton v West Ham is that a team capable of winning the cup will definitely be eliminated.... unless it goes to a replay
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine most games involving PL clubs will move to Sunday, as there is a game on the preceding Thursday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the Sunday games, I would imagine something like the following:

If all PL games move to Sunday that would be 11:
    Chelsea v Watford (already confirmed for 4pm Sunday)
    Villa v Blackpool
    Burnley v Spurs
    Leicester v Newcastle
    Man City v Sheffield Wed
    QPR v Sheffield Utd
    Southampton v Ipswich
    Stoke v Wrexham
    Sunderland v Leeds
    West Brom v Gateshead
    Oxford/Tranmere v Swansea

Leaving these games for Saturday:
    Blyth v Birmingham
    Bolton v Wigan
    Brentford v Brighton
    Cardiff v Colchester
    Charlton v Blackburn
    Derby v Southport
    Doncaster v Bristol City
    Fulham v Wolves
    Huddersfield v Reading
    Millwall v Bradford
    Preston v Norwich
    Rotherham v Bournemouth
    Barnsley/Chester v Middlesbrough
    Cambridge/Mansfield v Bury/Luton
    Aldershot/Rochdale v Nottingham Forest
    Scunthorpe/Worcester v Chesterfield

I'd imagine the BBC would prefer some PL teams to play Saturday to strengthen MOTD.