Options

Panto 2010

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
Would be neat to get a few reports and opinions of people who v'e been to some of the top pantos.... the low down as it were...
(bet some are pretty expensive too !)

Jim Davidson............ Robin Hood.......... Glasgow Pavilion
Cilla .... Cinderella...... Aylesbury Waterside Theatre
John Barrowman..........Aladdin ... Clyde Auditorium Glasgow
Pamela Anderson............ Aladdin .... Liverpool Empire
David Hasslehof....... Peter Pan ........... New Wimbledon Theatre
Jimmy Osmond.......... Cinderella .... White rock Theatre
Joan Collins..... Dick Whittington..... Birmingham Hippodrome
Brian Conley............. Cinderella...............New Theatre Cardiff
Tina O'Brian .....Snow White and Seven Dwarves...........Manchester Opera House
Barbara Windsor......Dick Whittington ... Bristol
Anita Dobson............Sleeping Beauty .... Windsor
Jennifer Ellison..... Robinson Crusoe..... Stoke on Trent

Maybe we can add a few celebs to the list ?
There must be lots more out there ?

Comments

• Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    lots .............in the other panto thread.
  • Options
    TraceyUKTraceyUK Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wheres this other panto thread please?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lesley Joseph .. Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs... Grand Opera House, Belfast.
  • Options
    littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi xxtimbo. A link to the previous panto thread. Hope this one works:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1380724
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was kind of hoping to see Anthea in panto again this year.... say as Robin Hood....
    but .... have nt seen her on any of the posters.....
    http://img510.imageshack.us/i/antheainthegreenwoodfin.jpg/

( Not seen any sign of the Fonz either ...
    maybe he s taking a year off ?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks littlefro for stealing my audience !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    thanks littlefro for stealing my audience !

Eh? The other thread was started by littlefro in November.
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TraceyUK wrote: »
    Wheres this other panto thread please?

It's behind you...!!!!!! :D

Sorry I couldn't resist!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    .... Eh? The other thread was started by littlefro in November.
    yes, but he does nt have to go and post a link to it here .... on my panto thread !!!!
    that s what I call "piracy... on the cyber seas ! "

what if I did the same ...... went over to his thread and posted a link here.... !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    littlefro's link was in response to my post, so if anyone is to blame, it's me for failing to post the link in my post.

You wanted to know what other celebrities were in panto.The thread already exists. That's where a semi-comprehensive list is. What is wrong with a link?

I thought your thread was more about "reviews" of the actual shows. If you goto whatsonstage's website, you'll find quite a few panto reviews.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes... I realize now... Airam is to blame.. for torpedoing this thread.....
    but anyway , I was hoping to get some personal experiences from people on the forum who had just been to see one of the pantos....
    but so far... zilch ..... maybe the clientel on digi spy are just a little too posh to go to panto !
    There's a premiere league of panto with top guys like John Barrowman.. Brian Conley... the Hoff etc.... it would be nice to get some feedback on those shows.... but also from league two... the smaller venues...
    surely someone has been to a panto this Christmas ????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The top pantomime in Glasgow has always been at the Glasgow Kings' and according to tweets, facebook posts and forum posts, this year's seems to be no exception, despite the very sudden and tragic death of Gerard Kelly, the undisputed King of Scottish pantomime, who was to have played Muddles.

The panto season only opened last weekend here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cant help thinking that John Barrowman will sell out in Glasgow... got to be the hot ticket of this years pantos with an army of his fans travelling up from the south.
    John will no doubt be playing the lead part Aladdin...
    ( wonder if he camps it up ? )
  • Options
    littlefrolittlefro Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... Eh? The other thread was started by littlefro in November.
    yes, but he does nt have to go and post a link to it here .... on my panto thread !!!!
    that s what I call "piracy... on the cyber seas ! "

what if I did the same ...... went over to his thread and posted a link here.... !
    Seasons Greetings xxtimbo (and btw I'm a lady)
    I haven't stolen your audience, I added my link in the heat of excitement because kind FMs remembered my old thread.:o Anyway, witness the fact you are still on the main page while mine currently languishes on page12. :cry:
    Of course if you do want some competition, please feel free to drop a post and your link in there.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cant help thinking that John Barrowman will sell out in Glasgow... got to be the hot ticket of this years pantos with an army of his fans travelling up from the south.
    John will no doubt be playing the lead part Aladdin...
    ( wonder if he camps it up ? )

It's obviously not sold out or near it - they're still TV advertising it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    .... wheres that cool American accent ?
    its out the window....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s9YDp6m-j8

Im well up on John B... I ve been scouring the web for JB clips for my mum.... whos flipped for the guy !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ive always thought of Birmingham as being the centre and home of Panto... am I wrong ? they ve had some great shows there over the years.
    I think Liverpool hit top spot last year with Natasha Hamilton and the Fonz

This year Glasgow have probably got the top show with John Barrowman... pity they did nt find another top star to play opposite him.... like Karen Gillan ... for eg !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cant think why Donny and Marie dont follow
    the Fonz, the Huff and Pamela Anderson and do a big Panto in England....
    they would be just perfect to star in a top Panto say in Birmingham or Windsor or somewhere...
    Snow White comes to mind... but any Panto will do.
    http://img526.imageshack.us/i/donnymarieosmond12.jpg/
    http://img706.imageshack.us/i/donnymarieosmondredrree.jpg/

Right now they are starring together in a big Christmas show on Broadway.....
    (dont think there are too many Pantos over there ! )
    go here
    http://www.newyorkcitytheatre.com/theaters/marquistheater/theater.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTQ318OpHAI
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle Theatre Royal has Tupele from Corrie anda couple of other soap stars, but the real stars of the show are Clive Webb and Danny Adams, a father and son act (they have their own touring show Circus Hilarious, Clive used to be in Tiswas), they are really funny. Futher credit to Chris Hayward as our regular panto dame who has the best outfits. Its Robin Hood this year, the 3d effects are back after a years break, and randomly a flying fire breathing dragon :s
    http://www.theatreroyal.co.uk/whats-on/robin-hood

Such is its popularity, the panto for next year (Sleeping Beauty) is on sale already, with Clive and Danny again (think we have them for antoher few years yet).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Panto in Burbank Hollywood

http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-los-angeles/cinderella-at-the-el-portal-theatre-photo-9

When we walked into the El Portal Theatre in Burbank-adjacent North Hollywood, California for a performance of "Cinderella," we were familiar with TV legend Jerry Mathers from "Leave it to Beaver" and Broadway great Jennifer Leigh Warren. But we were less familiar with some of the show’s stars. Yet we were pleasantly surprised by the performances of some of the lesser knowns.

The musical, presented in the British Panto style, is meant to be engaging in its over the top humor.
    And no one delivers the fun more than Benny Harris, who plays Cinderella's best buddy Buttons. Not only does he bring charm to rival that of the handsome young prince, he wrangles the kids in the audience with a ringmaster's flair.
    Not surprisingly his experience at the famed Second City in Chicago helps him roll with all of the improv-ridden punches thrown by the school children in the crowd.

The other unexpected delight comes from the shows two villains. Cinderella's stepsisters are played Panto-style by two men — Eddie Driscoll and Mark Edgar Stephens.
    They rage onto the stage to audience boos and lob one double entendre after another over the fourth wall's net. We asked Driscoll if the comedic duo's chemistry comes from a shared past experience. But he told us they'd not worked together before.
    That wasn’t of concern to the production team. According to Driscoll, they were more worried about the namesakes of their campy characters, “There was going to be controversy that we were making fun of [Ryan] Cowell and [Ryan] Seacrest. And that basically it’s… the spirit of the way that those two guys they band up together and they like to be hated… but when they’re together they’re very competitive against each other.”

“Cinderella” runs through December 19 at the El Portal Theatre, 5269 Lankershim Blvd., North Hollywood, CA. For tickets and information visit
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Come to think of it Digi Spy are a bit Bah Humbug... like QVC (who cant be bothered to film a panto for xmas day)

Digi Spy has 400,000 members... you d think between them they could book a venue and put on a Digi Spy Panto .... surely ! ( if only for a monday to saturday run )

Ticket sales could give concessions to digispy members... the show could be filmed in HD and put up on U tube....
    it would be a great end to the year
    ( maybe make a lot of money for charity too ! )
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've got Aladdin but nobody famous in it.