Flashpoint reboot

124»

Comments

• not_the_doctornot_the_doctor Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His opinion matters just as much, or indeed as little, as yours does.
    Not in terms of declaring the relationship in question a success. I, on the other hand, used facts rather than opinion, which is what makes my point relevant.
    And several more were launched. What's your point?
    Clearly the Superman titles have struggled with sales, and the number of monthly titles have in fact gone down. And as to his specific cancellation point, the marriage has now been canceled, which by his own definition makes it a failure. I can win this argument even by his irrational rules. :)
    I really doubt that. I expect a sharp upturn in sales due to speculative investors or just curiosity, followed by an equally sharp drop after about three or four months, six at the outside,
    Yep, that seems very likely. As I mentioned earlier, it looks like they probably have a ton of new mistakes ready to alienate readers. The point is, there's huge interest in the reboot.
    You know, your attacks on marriage would actually be quite offensive if they weren't so ludicrous.
    What's ludicrous about it? My personal objections aside, the failure rate of marriages is a well known fact, or certainly easy for anyone to look up.
    I'd hate to live in your bitter, cynical little world.
    That's OK, reality can be tough for some to handle, but I assure you, you're wrong here too. I'm not bitter at all, but that's really besides the point, and kind of a childish, personal stab, which itself borders on the ludicrous.
    By who, exactly?
    Just for fun, let's say real Superman fans. :)
    Really? Name three.
    Easy. 3 of the most popular ones would typically include All Star Superman, For The Man Who Has Everything, some of the reboots, like Birthright, Man of Steel, etc. The new Earth One one-shot was incredibly successful, but will need to stand the test of time to be included. That's if we're only mentioning comics. The most popular incarnations in other formats are the first two Reeve movies, The Animated Series, and George Reeve's Adventures of Superman. It's always the classic approach that wins out. The only story from the married era that springs to mind as getting an occasional mention is Action Comics 775 "What's So Funny About...". It doesn't deal with the marriage at all, of course, and it's not mentioned as often anymore, but it was fairly popular and well received at the time. Thought I'd just mention it in the interest of fairness.

It's not that you can't have the odd decent story featuring the marriage. I actually quite like the one-shot "Infinite City" myself, and although not strictly speaking a story about the real Superman, Kurt Busiek's "Secret Identity" is outstanding. However, in terms of brining a popular and successful Superman to the masses, it's nearly impossible to do with the domesticated wimp we've been saddled with over the last 10-15 years. Superman at hist best is an action/adventure hero with the occasional romantic element in the form of the aforementioned will-they-wont-they relationship with Lois.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's OK, reality can be tough for some to handle, but I assure you, you're wrong here too.
    And yet, in the village community I live in, easily the largest demographic are married couples over 35 (according to statistics compiled in 2008) and looking at most of my neighbours, most of those marriages seem to be doing just fine. These are not people in 'dead' marriages. Most of them seem to be perfectly happy.
    It's not that you can't have the odd decent story featuring the marriage. I actually quite like the one-shot "Infinite City" myself, and although not strictly speaking a story about the real Superman, Kurt Busiek's "Secret Identity" is outstanding. However, in terms of brining a popular and successful Superman to the masses, it's nearly impossible to do with the domesticated wimp we've been saddled with over the last 10-15 years. Superman at hist best is an action/adventure hero with the occasional romantic element in the form of the aforementioned will-they-wont-they relationship with Lois.

Why is he a wimp? Why can't you be an action hero and be in a commited relationship? I'm struggling to see why the two are mutually exclusive, particularly since Superman was never known as a womaniser.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet, in the village community I live in, easily the largest demographic are married couples over 35 (according to statistics compiled in 2008) and looking at most of my neighbours, most of those marriages seem to be doing just fine. These are not people in 'dead' marriages. Most of them seem to be perfectly happy.
    Come on? Surely you know this is as silly as WhatsHisFace proclaiming the super-marriage a success, just because he personally liked it? By this logic, I might suggest a game of Russian Roulette is a sensible way to spend the afternoon, because 5 out of 6 people I played it with walked away just fine.

I would draw no conclusions about the state of the marriages in your community. Maybe they're all happy, maybe it's all a facade. I don't know, you don't know, but what we do know are the cold, hard facts about divorce statistics. Look, I have no problem with people being happily married. Obviously it works for some people, and good for them, but stop forcing your personal beliefs on everyone else. As we all know, Superman and Lois were unmarried for over 50 years and through the characters' most popular incarnations. The Lois & Clark TV show was essentially responsible for this changing, and Superman's popularity has more or less been in a nosedive ever since. As I said, not just because of the marriage, but it's nevertheless one of the biggest mistakes of the last 15-odd years.
    Why is he a wimp? Why can't you be an action hero and be in a commited relationship? I'm struggling to see why the two are mutually exclusive, particularly since Superman was never known as a womaniser.
    He's not a womanizer. That would suggest casual relationships with more than one woman. That's not particularly attractive either.

There are many reasons why Superman, or indeed many other action heroes, can't be married. I could write page after page about it, but I don't really see the point.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would draw no conclusions about the state of the marriages in your community. Maybe they're all happy, maybe it's all a facade.
    Why do you have such a hard time accepting that people can actually be happily married?
    I don't know, you don't know, but what we do know are the cold, hard facts about divorce statistics. Look, I have no problem with people being happily married.
    :rolleyes:
    Obviously it works for some people, and good for them, but stop forcing your personal beliefs on everyone else.
    Isn't that what you're doing?
    As we all know, Superman and Lois were unmarried for over 50 years and through the characters' most popular incarnations. The Lois & Clark TV show was essentially responsible for this changing, and Superman's popularity has more or less been in a nosedive ever since.
    But the Lois & Clark series was itself very popular...
    As I said, not just because of the marriage, but it's nevertheless one of the biggest mistakes of the last 15-odd years.

There are many reasons why Superman, or indeed many other action heroes, can't be married. I could write page after page about it, but I don't really see the point.

Just one good one would do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you have such a hard time accepting that people can actually be happily married?
    What are you talking about? I specifically said "Obviously it works for some people, and good for them".
    Isn't that what you're doing?
    No, I'm giving you the cold, hard facts, but it's been my experience that many parts of this forum has a difficult time understanding objective analysis, so I suppose it would be too much to expect the Comics section to fare any better.
    But the Lois & Clark series was itself very popular
    "Very popular" is probably a stretch, particularly given that it was nearly canceled after its first season, and was constantly re-tooled throughout its entire run, but the fact remains that the ratings nose-dived and the show was canned soon after the wedding.
    Just one good one would do.
    Already given you several. Go back and read what I wrote.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,940
    Forum Member
    DC Comics drumming up excitement for EST midnight launch. Will be checking out the DC app tomorrow.
    http://twitter.com/#!/DCComics