Can a FTA PVR be used as a freesat+ STB?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
Forum Member
✭✭
We occasionally get queries that are along the lines of the title of this thread. I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a sticky so that such queries can be directed to it.

I think the answer would be along the following lines. Improvements are, of course, welcome.

In simple terms the answer is "No". You will be able to record the same channels as a freesat+ STB will record, but there is a lot more to freesat+ than that.

A freesat+ branded STB will also give you

- A managed platform. Channels that come and go or change frequency are handled automatically and regionalised to your location. All you need to know is your postcode, or that of the region you wish to receive. You can set up your box for any region you want, and change it whenever you wish. Should you want to do so, you can set up for a different BBC region to that of other broadcasters.
- A 7 day EPG. Many FTA PVRs only have Now and Next information. A full 7 day EPG is almost essential for ease of recording. Some FTA PVRs may provide a 7 day EPG from a different source, but these will lack the freesat specific metadata that allows for alternative instances, series recording, and accurate recording.
- Implementation of interactive services (Red Button). These include Text services, multiscreens and (in the future) ability to receive video on demand via broadband (e.g. BBC iPlayer). Many FTA PVRs will enable the user to tune in the individual streams used by the multiscreen interactive services, but the links to them will not be available.
- As ITV HD is implemented as an interactive service, this may not be available on some FTA PVRs.

Prospective purchasers should also be aware that a number of the FTA PVRs available on the market only contain a single tuner. A twin tuner is required to watch a different channel to that being recorded. Further, some FTA PVRs on the market are only "PVR ready" and don't include a HDD drive. To work as a PVR, the owner has to add a PVR themselves, increasing the cost and decreasing useability.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if it's not made "sticky" you can simply add it to your "bookmarks" and direct enquirers to it. Or I can make a page for it on my web site if you wish?

http://sam-radford.me.uk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if it's not made "sticky" you can simply add it to your "bookmarks" and direct enquirers to it. Or I can make a page for it on my web site if you wish?

http://sam-radford.me.uk

Thanks for the offer. That would be useful. As much coverage as possible for the difference between freesat and FTA receivers, particularly PVRs, would be useful to inform people. I'm sure there's a lot of confusion as to what freesat is. It doesn't help that doing a search for freesat products on the likes of Maplins returns a number of FTA receivers as well as genuine freesat one.

Your bookmark idea is a good one if this isn't made sticky. It'll save me having to repeat myself too many times, which I can see myself getting bored with. It may also reduce the amount of repeated (and argueably off topic) discussion that tends to follow. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get a bigger response. At least no-one has told me that my answer is rubbish (yet). That was my main concern.