Is Tom Daley Gay

Comments

• Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    BomoLad wrote: »
    Yet this issue of delusion doesn't seem to bother people elsewhere. Unless each time you overhear a 'phwoar' buy a builder or someone perusing FHM, you rush over to chastise them over their fanciful delusion and question why they are interested in the sexuality of the person or image that they're lusting over

It's just another typical 'only an issue if it's the gays' issue.

There's a difference IMO between a superifical "he/she is attractive" and a deeper pondering over personal elements of that person's life to evaluate whether a real relationship might be possible, especially if the object of the affection is a distant, out of reach celebrity, and that applies regardless of the sexual orientation of the celebrity in question.
  • BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a difference IMO between a superifical "he/she is attractive" and a deeper pondering over personal elements of that person's life to evaluate whether a real relationship might be possible, especially if the object of the affection is a distant, out of reach celebrity, and that applies regardless of the sexual orientation of the celebrity in question.

Do you honestly think people who lust after images and celebrities do so without thought or care or interest as to the persons sexuality?

I'm not convinced it works like that. it's part of the fantasy, isn't it? I'm quite sure nobody thinks 'Cor, whether or not she'd consent, I'd love to tap that' - unless they were a but 'rapey'.

It goes hand in hand. It's assumed. It's hegemonic because that's just how society is. But it doesn't mean it doesn't exist as an assumption or wishful thinking.

It does NOT apply 'regardless' of sexual orientation because this debate/issue only exists when it comes to homosexuality. That's not something I think anyone could deny with a straight face.

Either homosexuals are to be accused of being unique, odd and perverted for caring if the person they're lusting after is 'obtainable' or heterosexuals lust after people with scant regard to the fantasy of consent.

So either all gays are perverts or all straights are a bit rapey. Nobody believes the latter but the former is repeatedly implied.
    Forum Member
    Do you honestly think people who lust after images and celebrities do so without thought or care or interest as to the persons sexuality?

As I said, lust/superficial attraction is not unusual. Speculating about a possible relationship however, strikes me as such.
    It does NOT apply 'regardless' of sexual orientation because this debate/issue only exists when it comes to homosexuality. That's not something I think anyone could deny with a straight face.

I'm not sure which debate you are referring to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said, lust/superficial attraction is not unusual. Speculating about a possible relationship however, strikes me as such.

I'm not sure which debate you are referring to.

THis one. And every similar debate.

We can speculate if a woman will ever find the right man, if a man will ever meet a nice girl and settle down.

We speculate that someone might want to meet a nice lesbian partner and an 'issue' is established.

It is undeniable, there are countless examples. People speculate on assumption of heterosexuality all the time, without thinking. Yet claim they have no issues with homosexuals yet the second the same is done, it's objected to.
    Forum Member
    THis one. And every similar debate.

We can speculate if a woman will ever find the right man, if a man will ever meet a nice girl and settle down.

We speculate that someone might want to meet a nice lesbian partner and an 'issue' is established.

It is undeniable, there are countless examples. People speculate on assumption of heterosexuality all the time, without thinking. Yet claim they have no issues with homosexuals yet the second the same is done, it's objected to.

I can't speak for others but personally I have no prejudice towards any particular sexual orientation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't speak for others but personally I have no prejudice towards any particular sexual orientation.

Think such doesn't make it so. I'm not accusing you or society as being deliberately anti-gay, but the fact that the two orientations are not seen as 'equal' underlines there is potentially an issue here.

It does nobody any good to deny the existence of hypocrisy on this issue. We can pretend that society jumps up and down with 'How dare you! Why do you care! Stop trying to push their agenda' when people make similar insinuations or suggestions about someone being a heterosexual or being in a heterosexual relationship. But let's be honest - it doesn't.

We can either ask 'why' and address that or we can pretend it doesn't happen.
    Forum Member
    Think such doesn't make it so. I'm not accusing you or society as being deliberately anti-gay, but the fact that the two orientations are not seen as 'equal' underlines there is potentially an issue here.

It does nobody any good to deny the existence of hypocrisy on this issue. We can pretend that society jumps up and down with 'How dare you! Why do you care! Stop trying to push their agenda' when people make similar insinuations or suggestions about someone being a heterosexual or being in a heterosexual relationship. But let's be honest - it doesn't.

We can either ask 'why' and address that or we can pretend it doesn't happen.

There's certainly a stigma attached to gay men in particular as being effeminate. An accusation or speculation of homosexuality towards a male can bring with it stereotypes of being less masculine or damaging in some sense to the traditional male image of machoness and strength. It's unfortunate but it's a cultural/social thing that needs to change in time and hopefully will with passing generations and greater education.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I make loads of mistakes btw, it both means I'm very careles and stupid and also because I'm typing whilst eating a MASSIVE plate of pasta at the same time.
  • moosepaw56moosepaw56 Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    chris1978 wrote: »
    He's stunningly cute and fit, bit too young for me but that six pack ...... Phwooar!!. Seriously though, I don't really see what difference it makes if he is gay or straight. The main thing is that he is good at what he does! Anyone who can jump off a diving board impresses me, I can't even jump in from the side!! Lol.

Isnt he just

And that bulge................Its HUGE!!
    Forum Member
    He's either the Justin Bieber of diving, or Bieber is the Tom Daley of pop
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I am a young gay man I am not camp or effeminate I just don't see the reason why people seem to endlessly speculate about a persons sexuality. One doesn't say is he/she straight as far as I can see people only speculate on someone's sexuality for two reasons, one is because the person fancies them or secondly and in my opinion the more telling reason, is to denigrate the person because the speculator feels so insecure in their own sexuality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    More gay than Flipper.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    Why are you using a young sportsman who from what I can see has done no harm to anyone just so you can push your agenda?

I think you were being asked a perfectly valid question, and the way you're dodging it like it's a silver bullet is quite telling, if you ask me.
    The fact that people are even equating being gay as something that's harmful or damaging or hurtful to someone, shows exactly what their agenda is.

I don't think that they're consciously aware of what they're doing, but if it helps, I definitely see where you're coming from, and I don't think you have any agenda.

I've seen you make this point on other threads, and it always manages to get swept under the carpet, under the pretence that you have an 'agenda'..

I doubt you'll ever get an answer sweetheart.
    methodyguy wrote: »
    I am a young gay man I am not camp or effeminate I just don't see the reason why people seem to endlessly speculate about a persons sexuality. One doesn't say is he/she straight as far as I can see people only speculate on someone's sexuality for two reasons, one is because the person fancies them or secondly and in my opinion the more telling reason, is to denigrate the person because the speculator feels so insecure in their own sexuality.

I think there may be more reasons than just that, I mean, there's just general curiosity, isn't there?
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I think you were being asked a perfectly valid question, and the way you're dodging it like it's a silver bullet is quite telling, if you ask me.

I don't think that they're consciously aware of what they're doing, but if it helps, I definitely see where you're coming from, and I don't think you have any agenda.

I've seen you make this point on other threads, and it always manages to get swept under the carpet, under the pretence that you have an 'agenda'..

I think there may be more reasons than just that, I mean, there's just general curiosity, isn't there?[/QUOTE

What is there to be curious about? You"re reply seems to suggest that Gay people are some kind of curiosity. As I said before no one speculates about wether a person is straight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah well, I can but try :D

I think this is developing into my 'issue'. I'm pleased in a way as I find the environment and 'illegal war' discussion quite tedious.
  • Monster101Monster101 Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he has said that he gets called gay all the time on the net.
    he said its not offensive and if he was gay he would be out and proud and not be ashamed, but hes not.
    unfortunatly :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monster101 wrote: »
    he has said that he gets called gay all the time on the net.
    he said its not offensive and if he was gay he would be out and proud and not be ashamed, but hes not.
    unfortunatly :(

When has he tweeted that
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that people are even equating being gay as something that's harmful or damaging or hurtful to someone, shows exactly what their agenda is.

Even the gay guys in this thread who think the same?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    What is there to be curious about? You"re reply seems to suggest that Gay people are some kind of curiosity. As I said before no one speculates about wether a person is straight.

Because being straight is always assumed until you correct them.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Tom Daley straight?

cmon, attack me for asking that question! How shameful I am!
  • steven walkingsteven walking Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    moosepaw56 wrote: »
    I think he is really fit and wonder by the way he acts/talks if hes gay,

You cant deny he is rather camp.

And a body of a god to boot

Who is Tm Daley? if i have to google a zelebs name for info then they are far from famous.

Just googled seems he a swimmer, he is gay no doubt.:D
  • HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who is Tm Daley? if i have to google a zelebs name for info then they are far from famous.

The OP can't answer you, they've been banned.
  • HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess you missed the post where I replied, there is no question to answer. Anyway, carry on speculating about a young man's sexuality, it's quite telling.
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member

He's never claimed to be a celebrity. People just need leave the young man alone and let him get on with life tbh.

I don't if has 3 eyes as long as he gets some medals for Team GB :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    I guess you missed the post where I replied, there is no question to answer. Anyway, carry on speculating about a young man's sexuality, it's quite telling.

So is your insinuative use of the expression 'young man'.
This discussion has been closed.