Options

Unravelling RTD's Changes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
Forum Member
By 'reinstating' Gallifrey, Moffat has reversed a whole load of RTD's changes to the story. The motivation for the Doctor under his regime was always this burning regret which also became the cue for so much emotional schmaltz in the series.

I always felt that the doe-eyed sadness and overblown background music marred the rebooted series. Hopefully we can now see some lighter stuff and a bit more derring-do. Less introspection.

Also the John Hurt line "Why are you so ashamed of being adult?" (or words to that effect) was telling - Capaldi is going to be an adult, mature Doctor in the Hartnell/Troughton/Pertwee mould - can't wait for it.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moff said yesterday something like 'it's time the beast snarled again', in relation to Cap and his portrayal of the Dr.

I think he was undermining the Tennant years the most, but not in a horrible way, just acknowledging that the soapy bits had put some fans off.

Tbh, there is a sliver of a chance that Cap might mend some Classic and NuWho fences, if they play it right.

(not on here, obviously; on here it will still be a Time Locked War :D)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    The Producer has a difficult job really - make *any* changes and you potentially mess up the future of the series. Like in Eastenders where they killed off (for example) Pat Butcher - that was a wasted resource and I bet the incoming Producer wished they could undo it. But in a 'realistic' soap you generally can't.

I expect Moffat felt the same about certain changes to Doctor Who but, being sci-fi, he has a lot more freedom to unravel it. It's taken him a while because you can't barge in and reverse everything, but I think it's quite clear that he's now wrestled Doctor Who back to where he wants it to be.