Options

Has my hairdresser been ripping me off?

Debb1eDebb1e Posts: 451
Forum Member
As a natural brunette (albeit greying now!) I decided, in January, to try going blonde. I had previously been colouring my hair using boxed colourants from Boots close to my natural (dark brown) colour.

When I went for my initial consultation the hairdresser said that because I was naturally dark and I had used boxed colourants for so many years, going blonde would be a gradual process and the best I could go for is dark blonde (a sort of light caramel colour) as I'd never be able to go a light ash or platinum as it would be too harsh.

Taking his advice, during the first session he used a lightener and carried out what he called "colour correction" and, after three hours, I emerged a slightly lighter brown (certainly not blonde!) at a cost of over 80 quid.

Since then, I've been going back every 4 weeks or so to have my roots done and to have a few more highlights put in my hair. Each time I've been in the salon for 2 to 3 hours and the cost has varied from 65 pounds to £97.50 last time, and I've come to the conclusion that I just cannot afford to keep this up - going blonde was turning out to be a time-consuming, very expensive process.

After six months I had become a dark blonde shade, which wasn't what I wanted - I still wanted to be quite a lot lighter, and a 'cooler' shade like ash (at the moment I have a 'warm' shade of blonde which is slightly darker at the back, probably a remnant from my brunette days).

So I decided to take the bull by the horns and have a go at colouring my hair myself. I bought one of the Feria platinum boxed kits, mixed the lightener and the toner etc together in the bottle, slapped it on and left it for 45 minutes before shampooing and using a purple coloured finishing conditioner to counteract any brassiness.

The result? I am now a lovely shade of light blonde, very close to what I want (one more session with the Feria should do it) all for £5.99.

I now feel a bit disgruntled with my hairdresser as I've paid out hundreds over the last six months yet I managed to achieve what I wanted for under six quid.

Has my hairdresser been ripping me off? Do they all do this, to make you keep coming back and spending more money?

Would any hairdressers out there care to comment?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes your hairdresser has been ripping you off .

They're laughing all the way to the bank .
  • Options
    Carbon ProductsCarbon Products Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Jesus they really are. I got blond highlights at the hairdresser once two years ago and have been using boxed colour ever since. My hair was very dark brown, never had a problem.
  • Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because you have used block dyes to cover grey there was a strong likelihood that you would have ended up with a vibrant ginger if you hadnt had your hair slowly lightened by your hairdresser already.

I use diy highlights but would never use a block lightening colour on my hair. Its not the initial lightening but the maintenance. Any bleach product strips the colour our of your hair and in doing so damages the hair. How are you going to deal with the roots?
  • Options
    Debb1eDebb1e Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Taglet wrote: »
    Because you have used block dyes to cover grey there was a strong likelihood that you would have ended up with a vibrant ginger if you hadnt had your hair slowly lightened by your hairdresser already.

I use diy highlights but would never use a block lightening colour on my hair. Its not the initial lightening but the maintenance. Any bleach product strips the colour our of your hair and in doing so damages the hair. How are you going to deal with the roots?

I was just going to buy the same colour and use it to do a root touch up. Or buy those Nice 'n' Easy Root Retouch kits.
  • Options
    Glitterbug13Glitterbug13 Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    I did a similar thing - I went from red to blonde but had the highlights at the hairdressers first til the majority of the red was out then went a honey blonde at home then a very light blonde (Nice n Easy is fab!). Although it cost me a fair bit to gradually lighten it meant my hair was in good condition and never went an awful orange or brassy colour. I'm an ex hairdresser by the way so knew it would take a while.

You may feel ripped off and they probably could have got you lighter quicker but I don't they were intentionally ripping you off. You were paying for their knowledge and your hair benefitted from that. At least you can do it on the cheap now :)
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup. You were robbed.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I think if you had initially used this product after using a dark brown colour your hair would have turned orange. Maybe they did draw out the process a little though, or maybe they didn't quite understand what you wanted as a final result.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped using boxed colour and now go to the hairdressers. It's worth every penny! My hair's in much better condition, the colour's better and it's one heck of a lot easier than doing it myself! :)
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jesus they really are. I got blond highlights at the hairdresser once two years ago and have been using boxed colour ever since. My hair was very dark brown, never had a problem.

What dye do you use?

I am dark brown. Would love to go lighter
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely go to the hairdressers, I have dyed and cut my hair myself for the last 20 odd years. I rarely have split ends.
    I think that if you like going to the hairdresser and enjoy the inane chat then it is probably worth it, but I don't.
    Luckly I have started to go white like my male parent, I am now 75-80% white and mixed with my natural colour it looks like ash blond highlights when I have washed it.
    Like this (this isn't me and my hair isn't as long)

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/c5/3b/5e/c53b5eaccbfc025f47c1f4cb18397848.jpg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife is a brunette but when she started going grey she decided to start dyeing it. She has been using Nice & Easy for years and is now dark blonde. The hairdresser only cuts he hair. She's 62.
  • Options
    Scarlet FeverScarlet Fever Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    I only go to the hairdressers once a year or so for a tidy up cut. I do my own colouring and I also buy my own microloop hair extensions (from a company in China called zxhair) so if I want some drastic highlights in I can use those