Options

Coca Cola are robbing us

Comments

• Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They dropped the 2ltr bottles quite a while ago, I'm surprised there were still any out there, even aldi sold out a month or so ago.

Aldi do 4 1.5ltr bottle for £4 which is good.

I read that as a forty one point five litre bottle (i need to read spaces). I would struggle carrying that one home.
  • Options
    Scotty_WaldenScotty_Walden Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just noticed that coca cola have now started to sell 1.75 litre bottles of Coke, the thing is they are more expensive than the 2 litre bottles (which they don't have in the supermarkets)

I asked a member of staff in the co-op if they has any 2 litre bottles and she said coca cola have discontinued them.

This is daylight robbery. They are saving produce and making money in the process.

The 2 litre bottles were£2.09 and the 1.75 litre bottles are now £2.39 .

Have you compared prices in different shops? If they all sell at the same price, blame Coca Cola. If they are different, blame the retailer!
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scofield wrote: »
    Just sit back and take it

I don't think shoplifting's the answer somehow...
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like I'm gunna be dropping the co-op then, they really are more expensive than most shops
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just buy a 5 litre of concentrate and a home carbonator and do your own for pennies a bottle!!!, but what do people expect when costs go up like fuel/taxes every year?
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not has there been a bigger scandal since the severe shrinkage of Curly Wurly's :o
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »
    I read that as a forty one point five litre bottle (i need to read spaces). I would struggle carrying that one home.

I have little old lady shopping trolley, very useful for tackling the buses after a food shop.:D
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just noticed that coca cola have now started to sell 1.75 litre bottles of Coke, the thing is they are more expensive than the 2 litre bottles (which they don't have in the supermarkets)

I asked a member of staff in the co-op if they has any 2 litre bottles and she said coca cola have discontinued them.

This is daylight robbery. They are saving produce and making money in the process.

you don't have to buy it
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,992
    Forum Member
    You need to try other shops. Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Waitrose all have it for £1.85 or 2 for between £2 and £3
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaddler wrote: »
    A similar thing happened with tins of tuna fish. They used to be 185 grams each but some brands reduced them to 160 grams without changing the price.
    It's called "shrinkflation".
  • Options
    EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess Anne Robinson may point it out in the new series of watchdog in the coming weeks;-)
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're not robbing me because I don't buy the stuff.
    If you think they're robbing you then don't voluntarily buy the product.
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is happening to everything, OXO cubes are no longer cubes when unwrapped, they are an X shape so there is not as much in them as when a solid cube. Cigarettes are also no longer 20's now they are (or were) 19's and most have already changed to 18's.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know but I just wanted a rant........ I'd buy Pepsi but I love and think I'm addicted to cherry coke.

Bet your dentist is your best friend :o
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »
    I remember when Wagon Wheels used to be the size of a bicycle wheel.

Except they weren't. Just try convincing people though.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    Finglonga wrote: »
    It is happening to everything, OXO cubes are no longer cubes when unwrapped, they are an X shape so there is not as much in them as when a solid cube. Cigarettes are also no longer 20's now they are (or were) 19's and most have already changed to 18's.

Some cigarettes have changed. My brand are still 20.
  • Options
    Maisymoo82Maisymoo82 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to drink 4+ 2ltr bottles of diet coke a week, and it was an expensive habit then, even when the offers were on. I felt like I was being robbed even more when they made the bottles smaller and kept the price the same, plus I felt like I was going through more bottles, so more recycling and more I had to store. In the end I decided to go cold turkey and I haven't had a drop of the stuff in over 4 months:) I can't say I miss it but I do find it hard to get other diet drinks in pubs and restaurants.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Did you walk miles barefoot in the snow to get them ;-):p:kitty:

Feet? Feet? We were too poor to have feet.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except they weren't. Just try convincing people though.

Burton's actually explain it on their site "Contrary to popular belief, Wagon Wheels have not actually got smaller, most often our first Wagon Wheel experience is in childhood and hence our hands are much smaller"
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can't see the 2 litre bottles, but the 1.75 litre ones are on sale for £1.85 at Tesco, or 2 for £2.00

link
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing which seems to be a common thing just lately is supermarkets are selling smaller packaged items cheaper than you can buy the equivalent in a bulk buy/multipack.

People automatically go for the larger packs because they think buying in larger quantities will work out cheaper per unit but in most cases this isn't true.

For example a 12 pack of Whiskas cat food is £6.75 but if you buy 2 of the smaller 6 pack variety they work out at £3 each meaning it's cheaper for you not to buy the bigger packs.

At the minute Asda are selling twin packs of garlic bread on offer at £1.40 each or 2 for £2 yet if you buy them on their own their only 50p each so it's cheaper to buy two singles than a twin pack. It's just a con to get you to spend more making you think you're getting a better deal when in fact you're not.

They're basically relying on naive shoppers automatically assuming that they are getting more for their money than buying the equivalent quantity in smaller packs. This seems to go for loads of stuff like jars of coffee, cereal, sugar, dolmio, packs of baked beans etc yet if you take the time to work out the price per unit or cost per 100g you often find you get more for your money by buying 2 smaller jars than one big one.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    One thing which seems to be a common thing just lately is supermarkets are selling smaller packaged items cheaper than you can buy the equivalent in a bulk buy/multipack.

People automatically go for the larger packs because they think buying in larger quantities will work out cheaper per unit but in most cases this isn't true.

For example a 12 pack of Whiskas cat food is £6.75 but if you buy 2 of the smaller 6 pack variety they work out at £3 each meaning it's cheaper for you not to buy the bigger packs.

At the minute Asda are selling twin packs of garlic bread on offer at £1.40 each or 2 for £2 yet if you buy them on their own their only 50p each so it's cheaper to buy two singles than a twin pack. It's just a con to get you to spend more making you think you're getting a better deal when in fact you're not.

BIB - If the prices are clearly displayed then how exactly is it a con? If people don't read all the prices properly and therefore end up buying the more expensive option then that is all on them, not the shop.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    BIB - If the prices are clearly displayed then how exactly is it a con? If people don't read all the prices properly and therefore end up buying the more expensive option then that is all on them, not the shop.

It's still an attempt to mislead especially when certain packs have "BIGGER value pack" slapped across them then you discover it's actually cheaper to buy 2 of the half size packs. Example dolmio pasta sauce. A 750g family size value jar is just £2. Sounds good until you realise the 500g jars are selling for a quid each so for the same money you're getting 250g less by buying the so called bigger value jar.

Don't even get me started on Tesco. I've lost count of the times my local store has had bogus offers labelled as 95p each or 2 for £2. How does that work? These supermarkets are relying on people being too busy to check and work it out. Unless you're wandering around with a calculator constantly comparing the price per unit of everything you put in your trolley then it's very easy to be mislead by these bogus special offers.