Madonna's Ballads...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
Forum Member
With her Golden Globe winning song, "Masterpiece" in the spotlight, I've dug out my copy of Something To Remember. It's got me focusing on her slower songs, which often get forgotten about and overshadowed by her more dancefloor friendly songs.

Question is, which of Madonna's slower songs are your favourite or do you think are the best, and why?

Off the top of my head, I love the rawness of Oh Father, the pain of Bad Girl, the simplicity of Rain and the moodiness of Love Tried To Wecome Me. As well as the more familiar ballads of course like You'll See etc.

Comments

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like The Power of Goodbye and Crazy for You.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spanish Eyes is my favourite song PERIOD of all time!

But Madonna nails her ballads just as much as her anthems, mid-tempos and uptempos definitely.

I love the way her vocal can be used as commanding and euphoric and also deep and emotive and sentimental....Madonna can literally speak to you within her music.

Rain, Bad girl, Oh Father, Promise To Try, Live To Tell, Shoo Be Doo, Crazy For You, Power Of goodbye, Take A Bow, Nothing Fails, gone, I Deserve It.....so so so many more too where she proves this.

And yes SOmething To Remember is a solid compilation of her softer, ballad type songs up to that point in 1995 :)

And i cannot wait to hear more on her MDNA album :) Apparently...Ballads with Bass....i am in there :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Crazy For You and Spanish Eyes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll See and Oh Father are really epic. Something to Remember is one of the best compilation ever released.
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    too many to possibly mention! i really love her up-tempo songs and the more throwaway the better. however, she has delivered some brilliant ballads. out the most obvious hits my favourites are `live to tell`, `you`ll see`, `i`ll remember`, `this used to be my playground`, `you must love me` and `take a bow`.

out of album or non singles my favourites are `gone`, `time stood still`, `nothing fails`, `devil wouldn't recognize you`, `i deserve it` and `in this life`.

also quite fond of her unreleased version of abba`s `like an angel passing through my room`.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it has to be Rain but I also love You'll See and Crazy For You. Anyone who says she can't sing should really listen to her emote live on those songs. Chilling stuff!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'Something to Remember' album is really good, and shows off a different side, away from the pop (like a virgin) rock (like a prayer) and controversy (erotica). However, the title track isn't worth the apperance on the album, and effectively ruins a perfect tracklisting.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not fond of Something to remember album but i do like a few of her ballads. Masterpiece, Rain, Bad girl and Miles away being my favourites.
  • Hungry Hippo!Hungry Hippo! Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Power Of Goodbye is my favourite. I love the video too.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIve to tell is my favourite Madonna song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Live to tell, Power of Goodbye, Oh father. Nothing fails is my favourite though.
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something To Remember is stunning and her ballads are generally my favourite songs. Her last few albums have really missed a stunning ballad
  • MissAyrshireMissAyrshire Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite Madonna ballad is You'll See. Fantastic video too.

Also mentions have to go to The Power of Goodbye, You Must Love Me and Nothing Fails
  • theshadowtheshadow Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad Girl, Time Stood Still, Paradise (not for me)......my favs
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna is great when it comes to ballads and to name them all would take quite some time for me though Ultimate favourite song and ballad by Madonna has to be Bad Girl

Honorable mentions:
    Take A Bow
    Crazy For You
    Miles Away
    Cherish
    Shoo-be-do
    Promise To Try
    Oh Father
  • SonofaBeastSonofaBeast Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    You'll See
    Rain
    The Power of Goodbye
    Nothing Fails
    This Used to Be My Playground
    Gone
    Little Star
    Miles Away

I've never really cared for Crazy for You, Take a Bow or Live to Tell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madonna's ballids are nearly always overlooked so I approve of this thread! :D

A lot have already been said, but for me ... What Can You Lose with Mandy Patinkin, Take A Bow (criminally overlooked here in the UK), Oh Father (ditto) and Paradise Not For Me.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I love her ballads. I'm also really pleased that Masterpiece won a Golden Globe because it's one of her first ballads in absolutely years. Maybe it will give her the urge to write a few more :D

Live to Tell is just perfect, as is Promise to Try on Like a Prayer
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Devil wouldn't recognise
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad Girls, Spanish Eyes and Oh Father.Those three are amazing IMO. And I mean really amazing.

She. The Imperial Queen as someone referred to her on YouTube last night (I thing that is an amazing name) is master balladeer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep! Too many mention but sticking my ultimate favorites, I'll say then: Sanctuary, Time Stood Still, Nothing Fails, X-static Process, Miles Away, I'll Remember, In This Life, To Have and Not To Hold, I'll be Surprisingly Good For You, I Want You.
    Something to Remember for a long time was my least favorite of her slow(er) songs. I've warmed to it slightly over the years but can't say I like it still. From that era, He's A Man my favorite slow number.
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I love 'Oh Father', 'Use to be my Playground' :)
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Oh my! Crazy for You, Live to Tell, Spanish Eyes, Oh Father, Bad Girl, In This Life, This Used to be My Playground, I'll Remember, Love Don't Live Here Anymore and Power of Goodbye, all FANTASTIC! :D
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    glyn9799 wrote: »

Live to Tell is just perfect, as is Promise to Try on Like a Prayer

What you said.
  • AdcmAdcm Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live to Tell :cry: