The cupboard under the stairs

Comments

• .Dozy Rosie.Dozy Rosie Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a cupboard under the stairs.

Its got a hoover, old cat litter box, ironing board, watering can, gardening tools, two deckchairs, and a whole heap of other junk :)

Ditto LOL..and a wine rack or two of home made wine!
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We call it the ballroom and the butler hate's cleaning it.

That's because your former English teacher has set out the ballroom in exam formation, and is still waiting for you to resit your English language paper.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The door to mine is in the kitchen so I use it as a pantry. I always feel a little posh when I say i have a pantry :D

My mum calls hers the pantry. It was once the study too. I don't think she's ever called it the cuboard under the stairs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    I found Moira Stewart in mine - going on about tax returns.
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum and dad's was called the shoe cupboard. It contained shoes.

I don't have one, just an alcove filled to the brim with tat. Maybe I should call it the "tat alcove".
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    My mum and dad's was called the shoe cupboard. It contained shoes.

I don't have one, just an alcove filled to the brim with tat. Maybe I should call it the "tat alcove".

The tat alcove sounds like some lush holiday destination in Portugal.
  • SpeedOfLightSpeedOfLight Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Not much of a punishment then :)

Haha, it was, we were too scared to go anywhere near it. Weren't actually ever banished there, just the thought of it used to be enough. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    An ironing board in mine. And a couple of old jigsaw puzzles and stuff.

I loved the cupboard under the stairs in the house I grew up in. It was full of junk and almost never opened. But to a 3-4year old it was an adventure, because it had two doors. One under the stairs (where else?), and another door at the other end that opened into the kitchen! I used to play potholing over the junk.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Full of old wellies, an old hoover and some beer. Not v exciting.

It's called 'the cupboard under the stairs' in our house, this is just one of the rare cases where I have no imagination :D
  • drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to put the vacuum cleaner in mine. Now it's a... mini server room, kind of. I have a big old IBM server that's supposed to be fixed into a server rack, but I don't have one of those, so instead it's just stood on an upturned plastic storage crate. Anyway it looks pretty ridiculous that way so the cupboard under the stairs seems the best place to hide it away for reasons of good taste. (Of course it does mean I have to leave the door open when it's switched on to get a mains lead in, which is the big flaw in the plan...)
  • Tasty DelightTasty Delight Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hubby's granny calls hers a glory hole :o

We haven't got the heart to explain...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Phillip Schofield used to present CBBC in the cupboard under my stairs :cool: :D
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel quite jealous because I live in a bungalow...No stairs and therefore no cupboard under them...:(

So do I. Yet I've got stairs! (And the understairs area is open plan, but full of junk.)
  • SpeedOfLightSpeedOfLight Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At my parents current house, it's more like a room rather than a cupboard. Staircase in the center of the hallway, two doors either side, lead to a bathroom. Inside the bathroom, there is another small door which then has a trapdoor type thing. That leads to underneath the main house. You can sort of bend down and make your way around. It's dark and loads little passage ways going leading to each 'room'. I'm sure a child or a very short person could live there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ours has got a chest freezer in it, and behind that thiers a lot of junk.

It wasnt even a cupboard when we moved in to the house, it was just an empty gap in the room, but my mum got sick of seeing our toys in the gap and had a cupbaord put in.
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never been comfortable with cupboards under the stairs ( and my last two houses have had them ). Partly because I'm mildly claustrophobic and partly because the one in my grandparent's house when I was growing up had inside one of the most frightening looking feather dusters I've ever had the misfortune to meet. It was taller than me until I was around 12, and it was hideous. It scared me senseless and I wouldn't come down the stairs unless the cupboard door was shut.

I believe the cupboard under our stairs houses a lot of my b/f's junk. It also has the vacuum cleaner in it which he kindly leaves just behind the door so I've got easy access.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I live in a bunglalow, I don't have one. But when I was at home, we called ours "the meter cupboard" simply because the gas and electricity meters were in there, along with loads of junk.
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    most of these cupboards wood storage also the back of these houses usually had a cold storage room for food which in modern times became a indoor/outdoor loo.
    My granparents place built late 19th century (ther is a picture of my grandfather as a boy outside this house).
    In those days none of these properties had a bathroom either ,normally washing was done in the lounge next to the fire ! babies washed in the sink (butlers).
    How times have changed !
  • andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a pantry cupboard in the kitchen instead which houses spare ends of laminate flooring, shoeboxes filled with documents and various washed up former celebrities of the 80s and 90s, there is a weird situation between pat sharp and the twins from fun house, if it all goes pear shaped we have an outhouse with a built in cupboard which houses a lawn mower, strimmer and various odds and ends of power tools my dad left there when moving and one day will actually pick up, once he does either Melanie or martina will get moved into there, and the other into the built in wardrobe in the box room formerly the home of David icke
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cupboard under the stairs is called "The Cupboard". It has all the outdoor coats in it, skis, wellies, sports stuff, hats and gloves, the hoover and the carpet cleaner.
    I don't have the washer and dryer in there, they're in "the laundry room" along with a freezer and other stuff.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We call it the cupboard at the front door, but it is under the stairs.:D Full to the brim of DIY tools etc which the OH buys, but rarely uses.:rolleyes:
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    We call it the cupboard at the front door, but it is under the stairs.:D Full to the brim of DIY tools etc which the OH buys, but rarely uses.:rolleyes:

I have the same kind of problem with my OH and tools. All of a sudden it became less of a problem when he pointed to all of my shoes and handbags :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    My current home is rather open plan, I no longer have a cupboard under my stairs, I instead have a two seater sofa.

In my previous home, a tarted-up regency townhouse, the stairway from the hallway to the first floor, and the stairway from the first floor landing to the second floor, each had a toilet and handbasin in them. Quite cramped, but very handy.

The council house I lived in with my parents when growing up was a good old proper cupboard of all sorts... gas/electric meters, iron/board, vacuum cleaner, coats, shoes, christmas decorations, rubbish that got thrown to the back, spiders, ghosts, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found Moira Stewart in mine - going on about tax returns.

and making it all sound impossibly sexy.....groan, no, don't stop, Moira Stewart,whimper, tell me again about R43M(SED)
  • NestNest Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my parents house when I was growing up it was called the toy cupboard as we kept our toys in there :D

In my house now, it's just called 'under the stairs' ... "where's my umbrella?" "under the stairs". Apart from umbrellas, it's full of so much junk I can't fit Henry in there any more and he's in the hall! I need to clear out under the stairs ...

Now and then my memory lapses and I call it the toy cupboard, which causes my children to look at me like I need a room booking at the local care home ... :)