Options

Germany ready to accept UK EU Exit

KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29874392

Angela Merkel has finally publicly accept that the United Kingdom maybe heading for the exit. The German's will not accept curbs to EU Free Movement of People rule and would rather see the UK leave then adjust said rule.

So it seems anything Cameron attempts to do to reduce Immigration is not destined to fail as the EU Mothership has spoken. However, Cameron still seems to think there maybe a way to reduce the numbers but at this point, it seems he's going to go straight into a brick wall.

So we're got the EU and Germany saying no to Migration curbs, Surely we won't win this now. I'd assume most people (both in the EU and the UK) would prefer the trade agreement rather than this constantly back and forth arguing?.

The Referendum almost seems Inevitable now, they should just get on with it and put it to rest. It does seem to me that when this Referendum comes, it will be all or nothing, we won't get another chance at this. This time it should be made clear to the public what the options are:

If you vote In:
*You're giving permission for the UK to join a Federal Europe
*You agree to give the EU all controlling power from Westminster
*You agree to stop holding a General Election at some point in the future
*You agree to join the Euro
*You agree to stop moaning about the EU/Treaties/Immigration

If you vote out
*You may lose all trade with the EU
*You may lose hundreds of thousands of jobs
*The Treasury will have £10bn-ish more per annum
*You're free to trade with rest of the world, which may cost more than EU membership
*You have full control of your Borders

Comments

• Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reality is Europe wants rid of Cameron as he will give referendum. Something they fear as their electorate will want one as well. Europe is running scared and briefing against him like crazy. They know Farage is hot air and can't actually do anything of what he says. They are playing a political game of get Miliband elected and it can all go back to normal. They've worked out Farage elects Miliband ousts Cameron.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A gift to UKIP. Their scaremongering over mass migration of Romanians (unfounded tho it was) has turned a legitimate debate on Britain's place in the EU into the withdrawal of the UK due to a minority who haven't realised that continental Europeans already form part of British society and have done for quite some time.
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the not-so-slow demolition of Labour leading up to the election will put Cameron back as PM in some sort of government (God bless the unions for Ed The Dribble).

Watching him then spin THE most non-entity of a non-renegotiation as "absolutely concrete, incontrovertible proof of why we should stay in" is going to be a treasure to behold. I bags the popcorn concession on that one.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Whilst I could rant at the OP for his less than impartial comments, the EU is beginning to stand its ground. Starting with Frau Merkel, if she isn't onside then pretty much the rest of Europe won't be either. Cameron is in a tight spot what with the onward march of UKIP and the onward Rochester by-election. I don't think the British public wan't to leave Europe, however they do want reform. What form that takes remains to be seen, I just worry we are heading towards an exit without public even voting for it.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait until they see how much their contribution is going to go up after we leave, either that or a lot of countries are going to be a lot poorer.

Wouldn't it be easier to just create a new type of membership for UK.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye Up wrote: »
    Whilst I could rant at the OP for his less than impartial comments, the EU is beginning to stand its ground. Starting with Frau Merkel, if she isn't onside then pretty much the rest of Europe won't be either. Cameron is in a tight spot what with the onward march of UKIP and the onward Rochester by-election. I don't think the British public wan't to leave Europe, however they do want reform. What form that takes remains to be seen, I just worry we are heading towards an exit without public even voting for it.

What annoys me is they behave as if all 27 countries are somehow equal. Were rapidly becoming the biggest contributor. If were not happy the others should be making an effort to accommodate our needs and not just complaining that we can't expect special treatment.
  • Options
    zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    Wait until they see how much their contribution is going to go up after we leave, either that or a lot of countries are going to be a lot poorer.

What annoys me is they behave as if all 27 countries are somehow equal. Were rapidly becoming the biggest contributor. If were not happy the others should be making an effort to accommodate our needs and not just complaining that we can't expect special treatment.

You basically want us to get special treatment over all the other members? I for one respect the EU effort to treat all members equally but of course nowadays equality is a dirty word because it's all about pc gone mad and hating the EU.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    In the end its not up to Merkel to accept the UK's exit - its up to the British people to decide.

Oddly we managed for quite a long time to do very well trading with the rest of the world - without having to be part of some European union. London is arguably the world's greatest capital city - hence the world's mega elite wanting to invest and live there. And ultimately future is Malaysia, China, Singapore, Brazil, India, Australia, Canada etc - many of whom are historic commonwealth allies - not Slovakia and Greece!

Time we stopped being cowed down in some antiquated backward union full of nations who aren't far off bankruptcy - and realised our potential to develop relationships with the future not the past! Cos over 180 nations manage just fine outside the EU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    In the end its not up to Merkel to accept the UK's exit - its up to the British people to decide.

Oddly we managed for quite a long time to do very well trading with the rest of the world - without having to be part of some European union. London is arguably the world's greatest capital city - hence the world's mega elite wanting to invest and live there. And ultimately future is Malaysia, China, Singapore, Brazil, India, Australia, Canada etc - many of whom are historic commonwealth allies - not Slovakia and Greece!

Time we stopped being cowed down in some antiquated backward union full of nations who aren't far off bankruptcy - and realised our potential to develop relationships with the future not the past! Cos over 180 nations manage just fine outside the EU.

If Cameron called off Refendum promise they might cut him some backroom deals. What Europe fear most is a referendum as other electorates will want one. Once that happens Europe is torn apart by its own electorate. So destroy Cameron is the order of the day by Europe elite.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    If Cameron called off Refendum promise they might cut him some backroom deals. What Europe fear most is a referendum as other electorates will want one. Once that happens Europe is torn apart by its own electorate. So destroy Cameron is the order of the day by Europe elite.

Almost everytime people have been given a vote on EU issues in the last 15 years in Western Europe the people said no - Denmark, Ireland, France and the Netherlands. And when they didn't like the answer they were just ignored by the EU establishment or told to vote again until they gave the right answer - Ireland in particular was effectively threatened with bankruptcy in the second vote on the Lisbon treaty.

So I do worry what might happen if the people start getting too uppity.
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member

Why is it that, now the EU might give you what you want without wasting millions on a referendum, you're now suddenly back-tracking and asking why the EU can't just give us what (you) want?

I think some of you guys just like the sound of your own voice...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost everytime people have been given a vote on EU issues in the last 15 years in Western Europe the people said no - Denmark, Ireland, France and the Netherlands. And when they didn't like the answer they were just ignored by the EU establishment or told to vote again until they gave the right answer - Ireland in particular was effectively threatened with bankruptcy in the second vote on the Lisbon treaty.

Agreed. It is the referendum promise that is the issue. They ignore Farage /LePen etc as all their rhetoric is meaningless as they can't do anything. Get yes man Miliband installed and they think it will die down. No doubt promises made that he can have a few concessions if he doesn't upset the applecart.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    KIIS102 wrote: »

Angela Merkel has finally publicly accept that the United Kingdom maybe heading for the exit. The German's will not accept curbs to EU Free Movement of People rule and would rather see the UK leave then adjust said rule.
    I don't believe that all Germans are happy with free movement

If you vote out
    *You may lose all trade with the EU...............But you wont
    *You may lose hundreds of thousands of jobs...........But you wont
    *You're free to trade with rest of the world, which may cost more than EU membership
    Comments added.

They can only make you have more votes if you want to stay in.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [

The Referendum almost seems Inevitable now, they should just get on with it and put it to rest. It does seem to me that when this Referendum comes, it will be all or nothing, we won't get another chance at this. This time it should be made clear to the public what the options are:

If you vote In:

If you vote out

except those are not the options - if you vote to stay in you will still have GE's and it is not at all clear that you will join the Euro. On the other hand if you vote to stay out you certainly will not lose all trade with the EU.

we need more realistic options
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So it seems anything Cameron attempts to do to reduce Immigration is not destined to fail as the EU Mothership has spoken. However, Cameron still seems to think there maybe a way to reduce the numbers but at this point, it seems he's going to go straight into a brick wall.

So we're got the EU and Germany saying no to Migration curbs, Surely we won't win this now. I'd assume most people (both in the EU and the UK) would prefer the trade agreement rather than this constantly back and forth arguing?.

If you vote In:

If you vote out

I like the way you put "may" to the first two on the vote out list!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zelda fan wrote: »
    You basically want us to get special treatment over all the other members? I for one respect the EU effort to treat all members equally but of course nowadays equality is a dirty word because it's all about pc gone mad and hating the EU.

Its not equal though! We are steeling all the good romanians how can that be fair?
  • Options
    BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Won't leaving mean a loss of various human rights and protections too? That's what worries me because frankly, I wouldn't trust any of the current lot to put anything better in place. Especially not the Tories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    Won't leaving mean a loss of various human rights and protections too? That's what worries me because frankly, I wouldn't trust any of the current lot to put anything better in place. Especially not the Tories.

What human rights will effect you personally if we left the EU? I would love to know what your worried about?
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This time it should be made clear to the public what the options are:

If you vote In:
    *You're giving permission for the UK to join a Federal Europe Maybe
    *You agree to give the EU all controlling power from Westminster Not true
    *You agree to stop holding a General Election at some point in the future Not true
    *You agree to join the Euro Not True
    *You agree to stop moaning about the EU/Treaties/Immigration Not true

If you vote out
    *You may lose all trade with the EU Unlikely
    *You may lose hundreds of thousands of jobs Possibily
    *The Treasury will have £10bn-ish more per annum Possibly
    *You're free to trade with rest of the world, which may cost more than EU membership In what way?
    *You have full control of your Borders Not true

Not exactly "clear" is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not exactly "clear" is it?

Thats the whole point its not clear and its only UKIP who tell us about the EU.
    We never get con or lab saying the EU is great because XYZ which leaves the british voter to see how crowded our towns are,how schools are bulging,NHS straining, and think that UKIP are correct! (Maybe they are)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the EU should look at our track record for staying out the Euro and realise britain are a good judge at making right decisions.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    zelda fan wrote: »

You're obviously not a fan of democracy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angela merkal is acting like she is in charge of the EU! Is she hitlers daughter ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    Angela merkal is acting like she is in charge of the EU! Is she hitlers daughter ?

Wow, Godwin's Law at only post #24!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    Thats the whole point its not clear and its only UKIP who tell us about the EU.
    We never get con or lab saying the EU is great because XYZ which leaves the british voter to see how crowded our towns are,how schools are bulging,NHS straining, and think that UKIP are correct! (Maybe they are)

That only makes sense if you think UKIP are presenting a totally unbiased and fair view of the EU. Sadly, they have as much self interest as all other politicians and parties.