Linda Henry as Lorraine Salter

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Lol - started laughing the moment I opened the link and saw the title :D

was that at Barbara Windsor's acting lol!?:o or Dot's amazing hair style?!:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    was that at Barbara Windsor's acting lol!?:o or Dot's amazing hair style?!:o

Everything :D Dot looking surprisingly different, Peggy's shouting, Pat and Frank standing there unsure of what to do...Roy, Barry, Robbie etc. having a drink at the Vic...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything :D Dot looking surprisingly different, Peggy's shouting, Pat and Frank standing there unsure of what to do...Roy, Barry, Robbie etc. having a drink at the Vic...

I just love that Pat's earring falls out during the slap, yet a few seconds later its back on!! wish i had amazingly magnetic earrings that are attracted back to your ear.. would mean I would certainly have less earrings with just one from where the other one has fallen out and i didn't know lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just love that Pat's earring falls out during the slap, yet a few seconds later its back on!! wish i had amazingly magnetic earrings that are attracted back to your ear.. would mean I would certainly have less earrings with just one from where the other one has fallen out and i didn't know lol.

Pat can control metal :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat can control metal :eek:

always a good superhuman power to have...:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    always a good superhuman power to have...:D

So Peggy's power would be to slap and shout :p

What about Frank and Roy?
  • mandead88mandead88 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those were the days - classic EastEnders. They'll never be able to replace Frank.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mandead88 wrote: »
    Those were the days - classic EastEnders. They'll never be able to replace Frank.

They're trying with Max, but it's just not the same :D
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not that split the Lorraine from the early 90s was very similar to Shirley. She could not be bothered with her kids either. This Lorraine is played more devious and actually notices she has a daughter.

Really? Haha didn't know that :D. In that case, I think we should rename Shirley to Shirraine :D.
  • AngelicPrincessAngelicPrincess Posts: 7,434
    Forum Member
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    Really? Haha didn't know that :D. We should rename Shirley to Shirraine :D.

As a bit of a saddo who has watched since the beginning and has lot of the episodes on some type of format. I was rewatching the orginal Lorraine Salter not long ago and some her behaviour was so Shirley it was scary. They should have brought her in as Lorraine who after leaving Mandy the way she did married Kevin and had those kids etc. The characters were very very similiar. Only Lorraine was slightly more likeable than Shirley. Being related to the Wicks/Brannings would be better later on especially with Mandy getting pregnant by Ricky. As we can see Shirley is very isolated away from Phil and its not a good thing. Much better if she had other ties.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She looks, sounds and acts like Shirley Carter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    She looks, sounds and acts like Shirley Carter.

Would Shirley Carter by any other name still be so horrible? The answer is yes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a bit of a saddo who has watched since the beginning and has lot of the episodes on some type of format. I was rewatching the orginal Lorraine Salter not long ago and some her behaviour was so Shirley it was scary. They should have brought her in as Lorraine who after leaving Mandy the way she did married Kevin and had those kids etc. The characters were very very similiar. Only Lorraine was slightly more likeable than Shirley. Being related to the Wicks/Brannings would be better later on especially with Mandy getting pregnant by Ricky. As we can see Shirley is very isolated away from Phil and its not a good thing. Much better if she had other ties.

Ah, I see. Interesting.

And I agree. It would've been better if they merged Shirley and Lorraine into one character. She would certainly have more ties in the Square that's for sure and as a result she would have more meaningful interactions with other characters. I think we can all agree that Shirley is lost without Philth and his family to be honest. There isn't any reason for Shirley to stay after finding out about Ben killing Heather. Right now, she's nothing more than a faux matriarchal Mitchell who got booted out and left to fend for herself :o.

Thanks, AngelicPrincess :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would Shirley Carter by any other name still be so horrible? The answer is yes.

Even if her name was Ghandi Carter, she'd still be 100% vile :cool: :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if her name was Ghandi Carter, she'd still be 100% vile :cool: :D.

Haha, exactly :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're trying with Max, but it's just not the same :D

I think they were trying with that Bobby Davro chap.. it really DIDN'T work..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are their any other old EE episodes of Lorraine? Also does anyone know why she wasnt in the show longer? When Mandy joined etc?
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,845
    Forum Member
    Ah, I see. Interesting.

And I agree. It would've been better if they merged Shirley and Lorraine into one character. She would certainly have more ties in the Square that's for sure and as a result she would have more meaningful interactions with other characters. I think we can all agree that Shirley is lost without Philth and his family to be honest. There isn't any reason for Shirley to stay after finding out about Ben killing Heather. Right now, she's nothing more than a faux matriarchal Mitchell who got booted out and left to fend for herself :o.

Thanks, AngelicPrincess :D.
    its not her fault if they dont give her the screentime. she isnt in any episodes after this week till next friday and even thats to do with phil. maybe if she was actually in the episodes then she would get the material. when ronnie left roxy had barely anything but they gave her screentime and stories and now she is good why not the same for shirley :confused:

she could easily take over dot/heathers job in the laundrette and have loads of interactions there and i want to see her coping on her own cos thats what she was so scared off .what was the point of her begging heather to choose her over andrew if we dont even get to see her on her own its ridiculous
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its not her fault if they dont give her the screentime. she isnt in any episodes after this week till next friday and even thats to do with phil. maybe if she was actually in the episodes then she would get the material. when ronnie left roxy had barely anything but they gave her screentime and stories and now she is good why not the same for shirley :confused:

she could easily take over dot/heathers job in the laundrette and have loads of interactions there and i want to see her coping on her own cos thats what she was so scared off .what was the point of her begging heather to choose her over andrew if we dont even get to see her on her own its ridiculous

Indeed. The writers are failing Shirley. Maybe they could bring in a few of her family members and bring back Zsa Zsa.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. The writers are failing Shirley. Maybe they could bring in a few of her family members and bring back Zsa Zsa.

I really hope so.
    I actually hope they bring back her daughter who has a child of her own. So we see Shirley trying to be the best mother and grandmother whilst exploring their relationship. I also wouldn't mind them bringing in her sister.
    i think the writers found it easy to pair her up with Phil, and having watched old eps of her from 08/09 they need to make her into that sort of woman again not the doormat for the Mitchells!
    I wouldn't mind seeing her in a domestic abuse story line, or paired off with either Max or Andrew but I feel that we've already lost too much of her character and she needs to be alone for a while..it would do her the world of good, and make it less easy for the writers!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we've gone of topic a bit! I think Lorraine could've been an interesting character given half the chance.
  • friendlyguy2friendlyguy2 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linda Henry would have been better in for example tonight's episode as Lorraine Salter.

The Vic actually looked like a proper pub in those days nowadays it's too lit up so obviously a studio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linda Henry would have been better in for example tonight's episode as Lorraine Salter.

The Vic actually looked like a proper pub in those days nowadays it's too lit up so obviously a studio.

I agree it just looks like a studio your right.
    I think Victoria Alcock is doing ok but yes Linda Henry would've played it better. I would love to see old EE episodes with Lorraine. Shame Linda didnt play her longer all those years ago and have some screen time with Mandy.
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,845
    Forum Member

Yeah but i think
    they are killing lorraine off
  • felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    I really hope so.
    I actually hope they bring back her daughter who has a child of her own. So we see Shirley trying to be the best mother and grandmother whilst exploring their relationship. I also wouldn't mind them bringing in her sister.
    i think the writers found it easy to pair her up with Phil, and having watched old eps of her from 08/09 they need to make her into that sort of woman again not the doormat for the Mitchells!
    I wouldn't mind seeing her in a domestic abuse story line, or paired off with either Max or Andrew but I feel that we've already lost too much of her character and she needs to be alone for a while..it would do her the world of good, and make it less easy for the writers!

Bringing in Shirley's family is one of the best things the new EP could do, in my opinion. I've said it many times before, but I honestly think Shirley's one of the best things about the show at the moment and, given 10-15 years more on the square, she could be one of their greatest assets; a 'new Pat', an iconic, recognisable older female with plenty of tragedy, shame and drama in her past. But this isn't going to happen if they don't invest in her as her own entity, rather than as an extension of the Mitchell's, or whatever man she gets latched on to next.

Let's face it - her time with the Mitchells is running out. Once this story is resolved, they are done. She and Phil will be done for good, and Shirley will be a lone wanderer in the square. If they let her turn into a pointless background character with no real reason to be on the square, then they will be doing the show a great disservice. If they bring her family back and establish Shirley as her own character, rather than as a sidekick to a man, then they will be sitting on a goldmine when, come the next decade or two, they have the Square's next Grand Old Dame. I really hope they bring Carly and/or Deano back, and put Jay with Shirley, too, as his time with the Mitchells is, undoubtedly, also coming to an end. If Sharon doesn't get the Vic again, then I'd quite like Shirley and her family to take over and hold on to it for a good long run. She worked well behind the bar last time she worked there, and with her family back as a foundation in the square and the Vic's bar giving her a forum to interact with pretty much everybody else in the show, she could really become one of the show's best central figures. If they let her fizzle out into nothing and then disappear then they'll seriously be wasting a great opportunity.