Options

Latest from Moffat... believe it if you want: one 60-min special 'complete nonsense!'

Comments

• Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,932
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    To be fair it was DiscoP who listened to it properly first, on page one of the thread. :)

It does seem a funny way of publicising things. They seem to keep confirming quite clearly that we have ten new episodes this year, but at the same time saying "we haven't told you everything yet! Don't jump to conclusions!". Almost as if we're being told off for taking notice of the things they themselves choose to tell us.

But no matter. Series 8 is definitely, absolutely, very clearly in planning stages in Moffat's mind at the moment and not about to be filmed. (for anyone still clinging to that belief).

I found that it was a real benefit being able to listen to the whole interview and form my own opinions because when I heard it it sounded quite different to the headline and summary on Digital Spy. Moffat is a tricky swine when it comes to interviews (if he wasn't such a good writer he'd make a great politician) so it is easy for his statements to be misinterpreted by journalists.
  • Options
    nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing that Moffat said was nonsense was the rumour that there wouldn't be a Christmas special. He always referred to the anniversary special in the singular.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    nyder wrote: »
    The only thing that Moffat said was nonsense was the rumour that there wouldn't be a Christmas special. He always referred to the anniversary special in the singular.

I agree with nyder! (:eek:)
  • Options
    nydernyder Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    I agree with nyder! (:eek:)

:eek:
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    Lol! :D:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nyder wrote: »

I expected that there would be a Christmas special but I was also worried that there might not be because fairly recently Matt Smith gave an interview where he said he would be filming the anniversary special and then there would 'presumably' be a Christmas special after it. I took that to mean that at that point the Christmas special hadn't been officially commissioned. The BBC certainly used to announce when they commission these things. Now it's recently been confirmed that there will be a Christmas special, which is great, but to dismiss rumours that there wouldn't be one as "nonsense" seems a bit harsh in my opinion.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always enjoy listening to Steven Moffat talking about Doctor Who and I thought the interview was very interesting, good questions and answers, not too much given away.:D
  • Options
    nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    But what he's saying is, "I'm going to the shops. There may be several trips to the shops.", without saying that those trips will necessarily be to the same shop, or that they are the only trips that will be made this year.

God, I wish I hadn't started this metaphor...

What he was saying was that there will be 8x7b+1 anniversary special+1 Christmas special. Whereas "complete nonsense" is 8x7b+1 anniversary special. Unfortunately the way it has been interpreted by some is that there is still hope of yet more episodes than that.

The as yet unknown stuff will be related documentaries, live appearances etc. Maybe some of those mini episode things? That kind of fun.

The difference between the number of full episodes and "complete nonsense" appears to be 1 Christmas special. Which was highly anticipated by many people anyway (because Cohen said the Christmas one was important and Radio Times has already announced it).
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The interesting thing for me in the Evening Standard interview with JLC was "She has just found out that this year she will have a three-month break from filming Doctor Who when Matt Smith goes to America to star in Ryan Gosling’s directorial debut How to Catch a Monster and was immediately on the phone to her agent, keen to start setting up meetings to find something to fill the slot. "

As written by the journalist (so normal terms and conditions regarding accuracy and veracity apply) it makes it sound as if the gap in filming between the Anniversary special and the Xmas special was unexpected...was she expecting to be filming in that period and if so what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The thread has been sadly lacking in outright abuse and insults between posters and so far nobody has accused Moffat of being an evil man drunk with power.

I hope CoalHillJanitor isn't too disappointed so far. I would be happy to call someone a hopeless optimist in denial if they in turn want to call me a malcontented monger of doom. If it would help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    The interesting thing for me in the Evening Standard interview with JLC was "She has just found out that this year she will have a three-month break from filming Doctor Who when Matt Smith goes to America to star in Ryan Gosling’s directorial debut How to Catch a Monster and was immediately on the phone to her agent, keen to start setting up meetings to find something to fill the slot. "

As written by the journalist (so normal terms and conditions regarding accuracy and veracity apply) it makes it sound as if the gap in filming between the Anniversary special and the Xmas special was unexpected...was she expecting to be filming in that period and if so what?

Blimey, no one involved with Doctor Who seems to be able to give an interview without putting their feet in it. JLC is guest on the Last Leg this evening, wonder if she'll say anything else about her three month break :)
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nebogipfel. I Hereby Name You Sir As A Malcontented Mongerer Of Doom That Would Put Iago Himself To Shame. Whispering Discontent And Negativity In All Our Ears. Evil!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Blimey, no one involved with Doctor Who seems to be able to give an interview without putting their feet in it. JLC is guest on the Last Leg this evening, wonder if she'll say anything else about her three month break :)

Or how many episodes will be transmitted this year. :)

I wonder if other shows have every utterence from cast and crew pored over for every nuance to be thrashed out on forums?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oops. I didn't realise my pun about JLC putting her feet in it and appearing on the last leg. It was unintentional, honest!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nebogipfel. I Hereby Name You Sir As A Malcontented Mongerer Of Doom That Would Put Iago Himself To Shame. Whispering Discontent And Negativity In All Out Ears. Evil!!!!!!

That's more like it. And I in turn tweak the nose of hapless apologists of wormtongued babblers of episode vagueries such as you. probably.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oops. I didn't realise my pun about JLC putting her feet in it and appearing on the last leg. It was unintentional, honest!

As long as none of her legs got a three month break .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    That's more like it. And I in turn tweak the nose of hapless apologists of wormtongued babblers of episode vagueries such as you. probably.

Verily and forsooth and such like!

Hmmm. Doesn't seem we are getting a new clip so far. But she has confirmed they are currently on a break in filming. Which isn't really news to most.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Verily and forsooth and such like!

Hmmm. Doesn't seem we are getting a new clip so far. But she has confirmed they are currently on a break in filming. Which isn't really news to most.

And that she was scared of R2D2 (and didn't even know his name!) Good grief, women are rubbish at sic-fi (surely that will provoke an argument?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And that she was scared of R2D2 (and didn't even know his name!) Good grief, women are rubbish at sic-fi (surely that will provoke an argument?)

well of course theyre not proper fans. They should be in the kitchen. Baking. Souffles. And watching Call the Midwife. Women eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How can someone not know what R2D2 is called? That goes way beyond gender politics. It must be some kind of neurological condition. Or maybe she is from an alternate universe or something.
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »

Actually, if accurate, the most telling thing to be read from that is that the character will still be around following series '7B', or whatever one wants to call it.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Actually, if accurate, the most telling thing to be read from that is that the character will still be around following series '7B', or whatever one wants to call it.
    Well the same article states she's in the next Christmas Special and Series 8, the talk of her returning to filming after the Anniversary just confirms it.

Though as you say we don't know how accurate it is and just may be the reporter speculating or getting things wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe she was expecting to be filming series 8 this year:p

.....and anyway, I'm sick of all this anti r2d2 agenda, I'm going down the pub.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe she was expecting to be filming series 8 this year:p

.....and anyway, I'm sick of all this anti r2d2 agenda, I'm going down the pub.

We're all pro R2D2 round here. Circular wheel based travel machines are just our cup of tea. Why JLC doesn't know about him we don't know. Maybe she's pressed a Forget button.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Moffat also said the Anniversary special was more than 60 minutes as well.