Options

EastEnders upcoming baby plot - I am not offended

wisdomiskeywisdomiskey Posts: 16
Forum Member
My younger sister died of SIDS and I'm not offended so I fail to see why others who haven't been effected by SIDS should be offended. I know the death itself will trigger some memories for those in similar situaions but it makes no sense to be offended. EastEnders isn't real. All soaps have artistic licence to tell a storyline.

That's all this is. Its not a real life documentary. EastEnders always do their mental health issues very well and from what I have read the storyline is more about Ronnie's mental health following the death of her son rather than it is anything else.

Comments

• Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't necessarily think it's people being offended about them doing the cot death storyline. I think people have the issue that it exploits a terrible event by making it part of a ludicrous and probably very depressing baby swap storyline. I think if there was no swap, there'd be far less criticism. And I'm sorry to hear about your sister too.
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think that a lot of people just like to jump on the bandwagon. I think there's a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't really care, but will just hate the storyline because it's Eastenders who are doing it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,091
    Forum Member
    I'm sure EE will do well to be as sensitive as they can with this situation, they always do a fabulous job with these kinds of storylines and hopefully will do wonders in bringing about awareness to the tragic event that unfortunately occurs. Although I obviously never met him, my uncle died of cot death and I asked my older Auntie what she thinks of the storyline and she also said that as long as they portrayed it sensitively, she was fine with it.
  • Options
    Jason,Jason, Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    I don't see why people should be offended by any aspect of it either. You could brand or label something offensive at the door of any plot on any TV drama. All it is is fiction. I think if people get upset over the content of a storyline then they need to get out more.
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a father of two and I know straight up this is going to be an upsetting storyline, I personally feel EE are to far with this, yes raise awareness for SIDS etc but switching a dead baby is just plain wrong, SICK actually and is not entertainment in my eyes.

I will point out I have never said this about any soap plot of yesteryear.....but this IMO is wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I'm not offended by the SIDS storyline at all. I am offended by the gaping plot holes though :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Triggy wrote: »
    I'm not offended by the SIDS storyline at all. I am offended by the gaping plot holes though :D

It hasn't aired yet. :confused: How do you know there are plot holes? the previewers have all expressed their relief at EastEnders having every angle covered...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    I am a father of two and I know straight up this is going to be an upsetting storyline, I personally feel EE are to far with this, yes raise awareness for SIDS etc but switching a dead baby is just plain wrong, SICK actually and is not entertainment in my eyes.

I will point out I have never said this about any soap plot of yesteryear.....but this IMO is wrong.

Yes it is sick, but thats the point. Ronnie is sick, she's suffering from undescovered serious mental health issues. Shes not a Janine whose doing it out of malicious intent, she needs serious help. You could say something lke this shouldn't be used as entertainment....and I'd agree if we hadn't seen some seriously distrubing scenes before hand. Kats rape story, Ronnie's rape story, Trevor smacking Lil Mo's face into a plate of turkey and making her then eat it off the floor on xmas day THEN having her sent down for attempted murder the one time she tries to defend herself. Its the worst kind of message to send across...but it was amazingly scripted and acted. I think people should wait and see what the scenes bring us before complaining about it. It maybe one step too far, but it may also help families spot traits of mental illness before something serious happens in real life. Lets not forget that EE aren't saying that every mother who loses a child will kidnap a baby, cos Kats "lost" a baby and won't do the same as Ronnie....she's showing a compeltely dfiferent reaction to losing a child.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you cant say if it helps people see signs of mental illness there are no signs leading up to the actual storyline, she will be grieving sure, but this is in no way a message of spotting mental illness....

Like I have said I have never felt this way to a storyline before, this is one step to far, even one of the cast Ryan has said he wont watch it so why would the british public want to watch it, he is not the only one with new borns or pregnant wives etc,...

This best be put on after the watershed and with warnings before the episode, and a helpline after...

This IMO is not entertainment its disgusting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jason, wrote: »
    It hasn't aired yet. :confused: How do you know there are plot holes? the previewers have all expressed their relief at EastEnders having every angle covered...

The angles might be covered but it's mighty unrealistic for a show that has prided itself on reality.. they might have covered bases but (and I'd like to be wrong as I love EE - watched it since the first ep) it looks like they have done so badly IMO.

The other older tragic storylines have been well thought out, Trevor & Mo was vicious and shocking but something that happens every day in homes across the nation, it was a success because it was believable. They didn't have to create complicated plot devices to make it work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The angles might be covered but it's mighty unrealistic for a show that has prided itself on reality.. they might have covered bases but (and I'd like to be wrong as I love EE - watched it since the first ep) it looks like they have done so badly IMO.

The other older tragic storylines have been well thought out, Trevor & Mo was vicious and shocking but something that happens every day in homes across the nation, it was a success because it was believable. They didn't have to create complicated plot devices to make it work.

Again you haven't seen this yet so have no idea if its done totally unrealistic. Susie Hill, Colin Robertson, Tony Stewart and Sharon Marshall have all sung its praises and all in equal measure point out when they think EE is also rubbish. So no offense but as they seen the episodes I would take their word over someone who hasn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you cant say if it helps people see signs of mental illness there are no signs leading up to the actual storyline, she will be grieving sure, but this is in no way a message of spotting mental illness....

Like I have said I have never felt this way to a storyline before, this is one step to far, even one of the cast Ryan has said he wont watch it so why would the british public want to watch it, he is not the only one with new borns or pregnant wives etc,...

This best be put on after the watershed and with warnings before the episode, and a helpline after...

This IMO is not entertainment its disgusting.

I think Ronnie's showed many signs of mental illness over the past few years and months definitley! I wouldn't blame one person who was affected by this or know they are gonna be affected by it to decide not watch. Particularly those have been personally affected by it. What I dont understand is people complaining officially about it before its even been screened. Dont like it or feel you can't cope, dont watch it, its simple! Like that poor woman in a different thread who tragically lost a baby. Shes asked us for the dates that maybe too harrowing fvor her and shes not watching them, There was an episode of The Royal that did the same thing a few years ago. A woman had noticed her baby dead and so simply changed the name tags in the hospital.
  • Options
    notfussynotfussy Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not offended but I will certainly be giving the eps a miss.
    I've lost a child and I don't think it's in my best interests to watch this.
    Having said that I did watch the Emmerdale SIDS storyline, and that was just so beautifully and sensitively dealt with, but having read stuff like "Ronnie puts her baby's blue hand against her cheek" just gives me the impression that this will not be handled the same way, that it will be salacious and gratuitous.

These kinds of storylines do belong in drama, it's how they are handled that is key, and I am not convinced that sensationalism will be kept away from this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not offended by this storyline but although I understand why people aren't happy about it but the answer to that is don't watch it.

I think if they handle it with care in certain parts it can be a really good story.

By the sounds of it the worst parts what could of offended people have been cut out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jason, wrote: »
    Again you haven't seen this yet so have no idea if its done totally unrealistic. Susie Hill, Colin Robertson, Tony Stewart and Sharon Marshall have all sung its praises and all in equal measure point out when they think EE is also rubbish. So no offense but as they seen the episodes I would take their word over someone who hasn't.

You don't need take my word..it's simply my opinion :) It's not gospel. And simply because critics like it doesn't mean everyone will think the same :)

Or is their word gospel ? I might have got that wrong :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    notfussy wrote: »
    I'm not offended but I will certainly be giving the eps a miss.
    I've lost a child and I don't think it's in my best interests to watch this.
    Having said that I did watch the Emmerdale SIDS storyline, and that was just so beautifully and sensitively dealt with, but having read stuff like "Ronnie puts her baby's blue hand against her cheek" just gives me the impression that this will not be handled the same way, that it will be salacious and gratuitous.

These kinds of storylines do belong in drama, it's how they are handled that is key, and I am not convinced that sensationalism will be kept away from this.

That is fair enough I totally respect your opinion and decision. To jus let you know though, they have decided against that scene and cut it out, they too have decided that its not appropriate :). Sorry again for your loss x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xkelly1991 wrote: »
    I think Ronnie's showed many signs of mental illness over the past few years and months definitley! I wouldn't blame one person who was affected by this or know they are gonna be affected by it to decide not watch. Particularly those have been personally affected by it. What I dont understand is people complaining officially about it before its even been screened. Dont like it or feel you can't cope, dont watch it, its simple! Like that poor woman in a different thread who tragically lost a baby. Shes asked us for the dates that maybe too harrowing fvor her and shes not watching them, There was an episode of The Royal that did the same thing a few years ago. A woman had noticed her baby dead and so simply changed the name tags in the hospital.
    why should I have to not watch a show I help pay for and normally enjoy to sick inappropriate storylines?
    Ronnie has shown signs of mental illness before yes, but millions of people in the UK have some form of mental health issues so your saying people with mental health issues are capable of this? no not at all. Its ridiculous. And totally unrealistic
  • Options
    Joanne MAJoanne MA Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am offended because I think it's an insult to anyone who's a mother's intelligence.

Presumably both babies are born in hospital, Ronnie's baby dies at home so they must both be at least a day old. Any mother would know there baby's features inside out and back to front by then. More than likely they would both have taken photos of their babies by then also. Kat would know immediately that the dead baby in the cot is not hers.

Unless of course they've managed to give birth to identical twins with no blemishes whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    why should I have to not watch a show I help pay for and normally enjoy to sick inappropriate storylines?
    Ronnie has shown signs of mental illness before yes, but millions of people in the UK have some form of mental health issues so your saying people with mental health issues are capable of this? no not at all. Its ridiculous. And totally unrealistic

Does anybody remember the storyline with Dr May and Dawn? She was tied to a bed and nearly forced to have her baby ripped from womb, stolen and then herself left for dead.....and yet people are up in arms about this? People do crazy things when they're desperate. No not everyone will steal a child, but it can, and HAS happened.

Just think of your particular tax paying for Holby City or some other BBC programme then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joanne MA wrote: »
    I am offended because I think it's an insult to anyone who's a mother's intelligence.

Presumably both babies are born in hospital, Ronnie's baby dies at home so they must both be at least a day old. Any mother would know there baby's features inside out and back to front by then. More than likely they would both have taken photos of their babies by then also. Kat would know immediately that the dead baby in the cot is not hers.

Unless of course they've managed to give birth to identical twins with no blemishes whatsoever.

Sorry I didn't spoiler tag my post, apologies!
    Kat does notice, she tells everybody that the baby isn't hers, people jus think she's in denial. I presume that Kat must eventually be convinced of this herself as the days go by....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well spoiler alert
    Kat is in a coma so I hear and never sees her baby alive.

In the other storyline no baby died and no one was left greiving un nessersarily. the storylines dont compare really
  • Options
    dog_eat_dogdog_eat_dog Posts: 3,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There have been many true life cases of babies being kidnapped, both inside and outside the womb, by mentally unstable women.

Have you never come across any such stories? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There have been many true life cases of babies being kidnapped, both inside and outside the womb, by mentally unstable women.

Have you never come across any such stories? :confused:

I saw a horrific documentary one time about it myself, there are many cases im sad to say.
  • Options
    catchphrasecatchphrase Posts: 22
    Forum Member

More holes in it than Joe's boat. :D
  • Options
    Sally LinzSally Linz Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Both babies aren't born in the hospital and Kat starts bleeding heavily shortly following the birth of her baby so she doesn't get to spend much time with him.

This is all covered in the DS spoilers which you should have read before commenting.