Options

UK's most underrated singer-songwriters?

Comments

• Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sterock85 wrote: »
    Amy Macdonald may not be your taste but she is far from shit. And i'm not sure what lack of success it is you talk about? her album has risen back up to no4 this week. And she has already started righting for other artists and we will be hearing those songs over the next few years i would imagine.

I like Lana Del Rey alot but she isn't anything more than a visualist and a co-writer. Can't comment on Marina person as not heard of them.

And to Taylor Swift, sorry that;s just being stupid. I respect her for writing on her own previously but her topic matters are incredibly basic and resolve mostly around teen love and break ups.

Its personal taste - i think Amy MacDonald is shit. She isn't underrated at all i dont think. Extremely overrated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Insult both taylor and Amy in one go:rolleyes:
    Taylor and Amy are two of the top female songwriters on the planet.
    And how can you say amy is shit, be thankful that we have an artist as talented as her from the UK, we dont have a lot to shout about musically here in the UK especially females so amy is a breath of fresh air and one of the best from our shores.

Of course its all person opinion but to say Taylow is a top female songwriter is just laughable - which is why she needed this new album, and this absolutely horrendous song, to be co-wrote.

"Its a love story...baby just yes"

Wow. Wow. Wow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marina & the Diamomds! I know she has had a #1 album but she still isn't that well known and no-one realises how talented she actually is!

She's pretty big here in the US right now. I can't go anywhere without hearing her stuff. I didn't even know she was british to begin with.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    She's pretty big here in the US right now. I can't go anywhere without hearing her stuff. I didn't even know she was british to begin with.

Thats good to hear she has had alot of success elsewhere its an oddity as the UK has really taken to Lana Del Rey (A Concept in the vein of Marina's Electra Heart) but whilst giving marina a #1 has yet to really take her to their hearts but i suppose its the same with Lana and her US success and it paling in comaprision to her international success.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    coollist wrote: »
    WhyHelloWorld -Amy isn't that successful for a reason - she just isn't that good.

Yes - that'll be why she's sold more than 4 times the combined sales of Paloma Faith and Marina and the Diamonds. In fact with 4 and a half million sales it is probably more than 5 times.
    I also agree with Nerina Pallot

Don't want to comment on this Why HelloWorld . I wonder why
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    WhyHelloWorld - is an ignorant , don't answer to him/her.

Amy is UNDERRATED yes , but she sold a lot of albums without gimmicks and publicity. She sold 4 million of albums and she is popular in a lot of countries , paloma faith and taylor swift don't have a fanbase outside their countries. Get your facts straight before talking.

Amy Macdonald is ten times better than Paloma Faith , Taylor Generic Swift, and the rest of the top 40. She is a great songwriter , she has the talent to capturate a lot of feelings without difficult words , her message is direct and I like that. She never did a cliche song so far, every song is about different things.

I also agree about Laura Marling being underrated , she is amazing. She is an amazing songwriter too, more complex than Amy for example.

So yes Amy Macdonald is underrated in the UK so far, she deserves to be played in Radio 1 for example. We'll see where are Lana Del Rey , Paloma and Taylor Swift in a few years and where is Amy. This doesn't mean I don't like the other three artists, they have good songs too but Amy will be here for a long time , the other threes I'm not sure.

Taylor Swift is the most overrated thing in the world , she has the talent to be better , but so far she needs to grow and write about other things. The last song she did is pure shite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And to add Amy has the talent to write a song about her club team , about alzheimer, about life, about everything and you still can identify with what she is saying. Not many artists can do that. What I mean is , she could be talking about something but still the song could mean something different to you.

Words cannot describe the amazing artist she is, it's a shame you compare her with people like Taylor or Paloma , they don't have nothing on Amy seriously.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ i've never listened any of her stuff, but I'll have to check her out, she sounds like my kind of artist :)

Have to agree with you about Taylor swift, she is overrated and I can't relate to any of her music, even though we're the same age. I find her too childish and her songs are always about the same subject, love.

Paloma faith is better, she's versatile and she has the potential to grow as a songwriter, she'll stick around imo.
  • Options
    Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam Masterson
    Tom McRae
    Martina Topley Bird
    Imogen Heap
    Abraham
    Tom Baxter
    Beth Orton
  • Options
    bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »

I'm glad to hear that! Hope she has a lot of chart success in the US. :)
  • Options
    ForerroRocherForerroRocher Posts: 10,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delta Maid.

I caught her by chance whilst flicking through the TV one day. She's more of a country artist, which I think kind of explains why she was heavily overlooked, especially whilst R&B/Pop is so dominant right now. I initially just assumed she was from the Texas/Nashville area, so it surprised me when I learnt she was, in fact, from Liverpool.

Her debut single "Of My Own" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO-9HqKcKJ8 was really catchy, but sadly failed to chart, as did her follow up single, Spend A Little Time (it's not listed on YouTube, but can be heard on her website.).

Her album is also brilliant, but again failed to chart. She's definately worth a listen, In my opinion, especially if you're after a newer country artist. :)
  • Options
    mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    difford/tilbrook[/QUOTE]

They`re routinely compared to Lennon/McCartney,so I don`t see how they`re under-rated. Glenn Tilbrook is under-rated as a guitarist/vocalist,maybe.

Jon Allen--seems to get some Radio 2 airplay but hasn`t made his breakthrough.
    Thea Gilmore--what a talent.
  • Options
    BodyElectric.BodyElectric. Posts: 2,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A singer/songwriter called Delilah her debut album "From The Roots Up" was released last month and she just hasn't had much recognition for her music :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Marina and the Diamonds get too much credit. She's just average
  • Options
    bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A singer/songwriter called Delilah her debut album "From The Roots Up" was released last month and she just hasn't had much recognition for her music :(

I love Delilah and agree that she is under-rated! Hope she gets the success she deservees one day! :)
  • Options
    ray.ray.returnsray.ray.returns Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diana Vickers may have a marmite voice but theres no denying shes full to the brim with talent. She also is not guilty of selling out, she wasn't happy with her last label, she left, and her new album is out in September.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure I get where this thread is going? I thought we're talking about UK's underrated singer-songwriters? So why mentioning acts who are actually successful commercially and critically acclaimed?:confused:

i.e. Don't recall Laura Marling or Amy McDonald being under-rated. Otherwise agree Nerina Pallot, KT Tunstall fall into that category.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ferchoamy wrote: »

Amy is UNDERRATED yes , but she sold a lot of albums without gimmicks and publicity. She sold 4 million of albums and she is popular in a lot of countries , paloma faith and taylor swift don't have a fanbase outside their countries. Get your facts straight before talking.

Amy Macdonald is ten times better than Paloma Faith , Taylor Generic Swift, and the rest of the top 40. She is a great songwriter , she has the talent to capturate a lot of feelings without difficult words , her message is direct and I like that. She never did a cliche song so far, every song is about different things.

I also agree about Laura Marling being underrated , she is amazing. She is an amazing songwriter too, more complex than Amy for example.

So yes Amy Macdonald is underrated in the UK so far, she deserves to be played in Radio 1 for example. We'll see where are Lana Del Rey , Paloma and Taylor Swift in a few years and where is Amy. This doesn't mean I don't like the other three artists, they have good songs too but Amy will be here for a long time , the other threes I'm not sure.

Taylor Swift is the most overrated thing in the world , she has the talent to be better , but so far she needs to grow and write about other things. The last song she did is pure shite.

So because i think somebody is crap, over-rated and untalented makes me ignorant? Ok.

I am entitled to my opinion and allowed to express it. Get over yourself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ferchoamy wrote: »

Before calling somebody an ignorant, you might want to check one fact or two about your post to avoid sounding like the pot calling the kettle black...The claims you make about Amy McDonald's achievements are beyond ridiculous - I mean Taylor Swift not having a fanbase outside her own country?? So I bet her management bothers flying her around the world to entertain the millions US expat then...:rolleyes:
    Your post is clearly a passionate rant from a fan of Amy that you are & that doesn't give you the right to call somebody else an ignorant, especially when your post is filled with generic thoughts as for why the acts you name are underrated...Sorry, couldn't help calling you out on this one!:cool:
  • Options
    saxysaxy Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing musician and songwriter, whose gigs are breathing room only.

Played a lot by Tom Robinson, but yet to get on the daytime schedule of 6music yet.

Check her out, Ruth Theodore.

http://www.ruththeodore.com/
  • Options
    coollistcoollist Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    AlexMalgua wrote: »
    Before calling somebody an ignorant, you might want to check one fact or two about your post to avoid sounding like the pot calling the kettle black...The claims you make about Amy McDonald's achievements are beyond ridiculous - I mean Taylor Swift not having a fanbase outside her own country?? So I bet her management bothers flying her around the world to entertain the millions US expat then...:rolleyes:
    Your post is clearly a passionate rant from a fan of Amy that you are & that doesn't give you the right to call somebody else an ignorant, especially when your post is filled with generic thoughts as for why the acts you name are underrated...Sorry, couldn't help calling you out on this one!:cool:

WhyHelloWorld says Amy isn't successful but she's sold 4 and a half million albums so that is the very definition of ignorant:

lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact:

And personal tastes aside (I won't resort to calling his favourites shit - he started that) for Amy Macdonald to achieve what she has and never be in the top twenty airplay
    charts in this country is amazing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coollist wrote: »
    WhyHelloWorld says Amy isn't successful but she's sold 4 and a half million albums so that is the very definition of ignorant:

lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact:

And personal tastes aside (I won't resort to calling his favourites shit - he started that) for Amy Macdonald to achieve what she has and never be in the top twenty airplay
    charts in this country is amazing

I agree by definition but WhyHelloWorld ain't lacking of knowledge, s/he (unfairly?) doesn't want to recognize the significance of Amy McDonald's achievements because s/he doesn't rate her and that's the difference. I saw his/her initial post about Amy Mconald and to quote it, s/he was saying Amy is not " that successful". To me, it reads differently - it's not being ignorant, it is undermining the actual success she's having. Compared to the other poster who clearly went on a little rant and started to belittle other acts to show great Amy McDonald is with ridiculous statements, WhyHelloWorld's post is reasonable in its subjectivity. Anyway, I'm sure s/he can speak for him/herself if s/he wants to...:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexMalgua wrote: »
    I agree by definition but WhyHelloWorld ain't lacking of knowledge, s/he (unfairly?) doesn't want to recognize the significance of Amy McDonald's achievements because s/he doesn't rate her and that's the difference. I saw his/her initial post about Amy Mconald and to quote it, s/he was saying Amy is not " that successful". To me, it reads differently - it's not being ignorant, it is undermining the actual success she's having. Compared to the other poster who clearly went on a little rant and started to belittle other acts to show great Amy McDonald is with ridiculous statements, WhyHelloWorld's post is reasonable in its subjectivity. Anyway, I'm sure s/he can speak for him/herself if s/he wants to...:cool:

I have to take back what i said - i never realised Amy was this successful - so surely she isn't under-rated then? If she is successful as she is? :confused:
  • Options
    tracystapestracystapes Posts: 3,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marina and the Diamonds to an extent yes.

Paloma Faith is definitely underrated but I think in time (if she continues the success she is having currently) that will be recognized.

I thought Emeli Sande was underrated but now she's blossomed well!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She is underrated in the UK , she deserves more.

And I'm almost sure Taylor Swift can't fill a stadium in Europe , so I think Amy has a bigger fanbase if we keep the US aside.

Worldwide Taylor is bigger because she has US , Australia and Asia.

But I think Amy is bigger in Europe.