Options

Decent Fantasy series

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
Forum Member
Looking for a decent fantasy series. I am in the middle of the Kingkiller Chronicles, like them for being a bit nuanced and having a bit of depth...didn't care for the Wheel of Time, just a pale LotR rip-off.

I try to avoid your cookie-cutter by the numbers orphan-with-hitherto-undiscovered-magical-powers type books

Comments

• Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    just got the last couple of chapters of the first law trilogy by joe Abercrombie left to read and I have enjoyed that

I started that after I read the kingkiller chronicles as well so might have similar tastes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers, might well look them up :)
  • Options
    girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jasper FForde - Thursday next books are great and also Ben Aaronovitch - Rivers of London series.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Danny_Fry wrote: »
    Looking for a decent fantasy series. I am in the middle of the Kingkiller Chronicles, like them for being a bit nuanced and having a bit of depth...didn't care for the Wheel of Time, just a pale LotR rip-off.

I try to avoid your cookie-cutter by the numbers orphan-with-hitherto-undiscovered-magical-powers type books

You might like China Mieville then- he deliberately avoids
    those kinda "High Fantasy" cliches. His sequence-
    "Perdido Street Station", "The Scar" and "Iron Council"
    are set in an industrialised fantasy world.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I can second Joe Abercrombie, really liked them although fantasy isn't really my thing
  • Options
    alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    there was a massive thread on this very question but it seerns to have gone, does this forum only keep threads for a month?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alternate wrote: »
    there was a massive thread on this very question but it seerns to have gone, does this forum only keep threads for a month?

yeah I was looking for that thread too as I have just finished the first law trilogy and was going to comment on it as it was on that thread I saw the recommendation

might be threads get binned if theres no activity for a certain period
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »

No the threads are still there if you go to 'search this forum' at the top right and then just put in 'fantasy'. I did that and the following thread was thrown up:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1837388

Plus this long one from years ago:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=475755
  • Options
    Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll throw for Joe Abercrombie as well. Read them a couple of years ago. Plus Best Served Cold, Heroes are very good as well. Steven Erikson's the Malazan Book of the Fallen is also very good.
  • Options
    ShomofoShomofo Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want to avoid the orphan type hero then I would recommend The Wars of Light and Shadow by Janny Wurts. It can be a little long winded and its not finished yet but I really like it.
    The Watcher's Blade trilogy and the follow up Half Orc's series by David Dalglish is also good but quite light going.

I'm struggling to think of many others without the young hero.
    I tend to like most of that.

I would guess you have probably read the Game of Throne's series by George RR Martin. If not they are great but very hard going.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep am fully up to date with the Game of Thrones books, desperate for the next book to find what happened to you-know-who
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Danny_Fry wrote: »
    Yep am fully up to date with the Game of Thrones books, desperate for the next book to find what happened to you-know-who

yep and same with the kingkiller chronicles :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry Pratchett

If you like fantasy with depth you will love his recent novels. :)

He is a brilliantly creative wordsmith and I love how his books, the recent ones that I have read, have a philosophical thread running through them that offers insight and wisdom into the most relevant subject matter.