Godzilla - New Trailer

Comments

• GB-UKGB-UK Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Watched the trailer last night and wasn't all that impressed. Thought a couple of the shots of Godzilla were a bit ropey considering the budget. But nice to see a monster that attacks during the day. Maybe Hollywood are abandoning low-light.
    And why does Godzilla not attack Tokyo anymore?

There's only two shots of Godzilla in the trailer, in the pacific before the atom bomb explosion and at the end when the bunker doors are closing. The other monsters are an unspecified creature being referred to on-line as the Muto monster, and one that is reputed to be Rodan seen diving into the sea. The tentacle (that isn't a tentacle according to the director) monster may be yet another un-named monster.

But there are so many more places en route to New York. Bali is nice. <rolleyes>

Its not New York, its Las Vegas in the trailer. There is a Statue of Liberty there and that is the one that is featured as being destroyed in the trailer.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GB-UK wrote: »
    There's only two shots of Godzilla in the trailer, in the pacific before the atom bomb explosion and at the end when the bunker doors are closing.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that atomic bombing in the trailer takes place at Bikini Atoll, a U.S. nuclear testing area during the 1950s.

If the film does include an implied reference to Bikini Atoll, I'm impressed because the real-life panic in Japan over the Lucky Dragon Number 5 Incident was the inspiration behind creating Godzilla.

But I still don't know if that bombing in the pacific scene in the trailer has anything to do with the origins of Godzilla, though. Does anyone know?

Edited:

The Lucky Dragon 5 Incident https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daigo_Fukuryū_Maru
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Purely based on him being the only director that I know of who has actually created CGI effects themselves.

When I saw 'Monsters' I knew nothing about it. I really enjoyed it and just assumed that it had a large production team behind it.

When I then read up on it, I was totally astounded.
    I'd agree that the FX work in Monsters was very well implemented, and, to be objective, the film was a tremendous accomplishment for him. But coming from such a small production to being placed at the helm of such a major one? Hmm...doesn't always run smoothly in Tinseltown.
    Takae wrote: »
    But I still don't know if that bombing in the pacific scene in the trailer has anything to do with the origins of Godzilla, though. Does anyone know?
    If you listen closely to the dialogue under the music you hear them say:
    "Not tests....they were trying to kill him."
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think that atomic bombing in the trailer takes place at Bikini Atoll, a U.S. nuclear testing area during the 1950s.

If the film does include an implied reference to Bikini Atoll, I'm impressed because the real-life panic in Japan over the Lucky Dragon Number 5 Incident was the inspiration behind creating Godzilla.

Edited:

The Lucky Dragon 5 Incident https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daigo_Fukuryū_Maru

If you watch that segment of the trailer again they mention waking something up in the pacific with a photo of Godzilla's back coming out of the sea. It then cuts to a photo of an atom bomb with a Godzilla picture painted on the side and then to the actual film footage of the first picture of Godzilla's back rising out of the water, then there's an atomic explosion. The talk over of this segment says that the tests were not really tests but attempts to kill whatever the woke up, i.e. Godzilla.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Not entirely convinced by the trailer but I'll probably still go and watch it. I must be one of the few that actually liked the 2001 film so if this is an improvement on that I'm sure I'll like it too. :D
  • MicknsivMicknsiv Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I will go and see this definitely. Finally a good trailer that doesn't reveal everything.

Good to see Hal from Malcolm in the Middle again.

Not a Breaking Bad fan then? Trailer looks good. I'll probably go see this, purely because Bryan Cranston is in it. The man is a legend.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd agree that the FX work in Monsters was very well implemented, and, to be objective, the film was a tremendous accomplishment for him. But coming from such a small production to being placed at the helm of such a major one? Hmm...doesn't always run smoothly in Tinseltown.

I know what you mean.

imo, his biggest talent is to be able to take very little and make it into something big. He won't need to use that talent on this project.

Saying that, maybe the studio put him on a tight budget in order to get the best out of him :)
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    I must be one of the few that actually liked the 2001 film so if this is an improvement on that I'm sure I'll like it too. :D

Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack is a pretty good movie from the Millennium series! Godzilla back to being not very nice and Ghidoriah being one of the Guardian monsters is an interesting turn for that particular kaiju.
    Forum Member
    treefr0g wrote: »
    I know what you mean.

imo, his biggest talent is to be able to take very little and make it into something big. He won't need to use that talent on this project.

Saying that, maybe the studio put him on a tight budget in order to get the best out of him :)
    Oh, money won't be the problem. On these sort of productions the director shouldn't have to worry about that. It's a question of how much creative freedom he's allowed to make the film he wants. And that's an age-old problem in Hollywood.

Btw - this Snickers promotional tie-in suggests Godzilla is somewhat lighter in tone than we thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bpwmiuwjLo
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they ever kill Godzilla in the Japanese movies, all the ones I remember as a kid he always waded off into the sunset. I even remember one with a baby Godzilla, totally cute attacking another monster who was having a go at his Dad.

My memory might be rusty.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another trailer was released today: LINK

Freeze the video at 1:19. I don't know if that's another monster or a plane. I'm viewing this on a phone so I can't quite get a good image.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »

Freeze the video at 1:19. I don't know if that's another monster or a plane. I'm viewing this on a phone so I can't quite get a good image.
    first thing I picked up on.... was it a plane or a creature, No its godilla

Thanks for ruining the film by giving the greatest lizard ever a face like a hound and wings
    Forum Member
    Inky Binky wrote: »

That's one of the Muto monsters, apparently there are three. A flying one, the walker seen in the trailer and a caterpillar one which you see has left a trail at around 24 seconds into the trailer.
    Forum Member

Thanks for ruining the film by giving the greatest lizard ever a face like a hound and wings

That isn't Godzilla.
  • AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just hope Godzuki makes an appearance at some point! :D
    Forum Member
    Latest trailer, now with a good but still brief look at the big fella himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9hJxEG-etE
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All Godzilla Movies Fail
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This one looks like it's got a bit of a story to it, the last one was a comedy almost.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You do realise that in the Godzilla mythology, he isn't the only giant creature in that world right? So go figure and do some research before posting.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the trailer last night, using that piece of dialogue over it spoken by Cranston wasn't the best move imo, it seemed very overwrought.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Awesome Trailer. When will be release the Godzilla?
    Forum Member
    Its out on the 15th May in the UK and 16th May in the US.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would it have hurt to make the title a little different from the fairly recent version?
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this even if some over the overly dramatic voiceover bits from the trailers sounded like tongue-in-cheek lines from some South Park characters.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Did they ever kill Godzilla in the Japanese movies, all the ones I remember as a kid he always waded off into the sunset. I even remember one with a baby Godzilla, totally cute attacking another monster who was having a go at his Dad.

My memory might be rusty.

The very first Godzilla movie ended with it being killed by a ray gun which reduced Godzilla to bones.

However, in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (this movie is a gas and should be made available on Region 2 in the UK) the creature is not killed and is last seen drifting away amongst the waves.

Currently, most of the Japanese/American versions of the original Godzilla movies, and there are a few, are Region 1 and can be bought from Amazon. It is annoying because a multi-region DVD player is required.