Shingles

gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm 31 and have just been diagnosed with this, after having a painful rash on my shoulder for the last three days. I'm just a bit confused, as I thought only older people could develop shingles. Had anyone else under 40 ever suffered?

It's horrible, but I've been prescribed some anti-viral(?) drugs, so hopefully it'll clear up soon.

Comments

• chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gmphmac wrote: »
    I'm 31 and have just been diagnosed with this, after having a painful rash on my shoulder for the last three days. I'm just a bit confused, as I thought only older people could develop shingles. Had anyone else under 40 ever suffered?

It's horrible, but I've been prescribed some anti-viral(?) drugs, so hopefully it'll clear up soon.

Yes, lots of 'younger' people suffer, it just is more common in the over 70s
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Introduction.aspx
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member

My wife had it in her mid 20’s; made her feel dreadful for quite a few weeks and a full recovery took a while. No lasting effects though; and it’s never re-occurred.

That was 30 years ago.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it around the age of 40.
    It was very painful for 3 weeks but was in my system for about 3 months in total.
    Not nice at all.
    All the best to you.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it when I was about 27. Took and age to fully heal and I've got scars where it was.

Hugely painful too.
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member
    I was 26 when I got it. Nasty illness.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had shingles when I was 11, and was off school while they were learning about long division - I still can't do long division, 39 years later! :blush:
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had it twice! Or at least the docs think the 2nd time I had it was Shingles, they actually weren't sure. It started with a small triangle of itchy marks and then developed into quite a nasty rash. After cream and then anti-virals and anti-biotics and a couple of weeks off work the rash healed and now the scars have gone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just getting over a bout now, still have the lovely looking scabs, had to take aciclivor 5 X a day for a week :o
    My son had it when he was 8.
    Anyone can get it :(
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sazzysuzie wrote: »
    Just getting over a bout now, still have the lovely looking scabs, had to take aciclivor 5 X a day for a week :o

Same here (800mg). Just hoping I'm not going to be left scarred or anything. The patches are on my shoulder :(
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had it 3 times, at 19, 25 and 31... It's more common in elderly but people with weakened immune systems etc can get it, mines has usually followed a bad viral infection, my coeliacs has weakened my immune system too...

Least u caught it fast! I got hospitalised with it the first time, they thought I had meningitis!

Oh, and the last time... Which was earlier this year, I had it on the back of my head! Was horriffic as a women with long hair, uber painful, I thought the chest and leg were bad... :(

The meds work fast though, if it's caught early! In my experience...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here (800mg). Just hoping I'm not going to be left scarred or anything. The patches are on my shoulder :(
    At least its been caught in time, take antihistamines for the itching .. Shouldnt scar unless you scratch them off :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had it when I was about 22. The important thing is to get the tablets in the early days, because they only work if you starting taking them within a few days of the rash appearing.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter had shingles when she was eight years old
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I had this when I was 35. It started with a throbbing headache and then my forehead started to swell. It was scary. I rushed off to A&E and this nurse kept asking me if anyone had hit me on the head! Then a doctor came in and told me it was shingles. It progressed to my eyes and made them swell and I nearly lost my sight.

It's not as uncommon in younger people as the doctors make out. Loads of young people I know have had it. I think susceptibility is hereditary.
  • BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum, age 70, has just got shingles over her eye, forehead, and one side of her scalp. She has been taking anti-viral tablets for the last 5 days, she has a 7 days supply, 5x a day. She also has some kind of cream to rub in to her eye.

I wondered how early is early as far as catching it ? She felt ill 4 days before she got tablets, but she got the tablets only 1 day after the rash appeared (unless it appeared under her hair before we saw it). Is that early enough ? I am concerned about the long term effects and I know quicker treatment means better results usually. I am unsure if it is within 72 hours from when you started to feel sick that is considered early, or 72 hours from when the rash appears, as there is always a few days between the two.

Thanks all.
  • hils0912hils0912 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I had them at the age of 3. I had had chicken pox 3 times and was seeing an immunologist by then. Luckily I haven't had it since.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had it 18 months ago. Very painful, lasted for about a week tops, seemingly quite short in comparison to many others as it is typically meant to last 3 weeks or more.

The problem I have is the scarring that is left behind, I have wee dimples in my forehead still which aren't that noticeable unless you look closely but I'm worried about further bouts of the stuff as I'll have get surgery if I get any further scarring occurs.

Does anyone know if Shingles continues to persist if you've already had it? It seems like from post #11 that it's very possible it can come back again. :(
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »

Does anyone know if Shingles continues to persist if you've already had it? It seems like from post #11 that it's very possible it can come back again. :(

I had it a few years back, got it cleared up with anti-biotics, but since then it has recurred, but much milder than the original form, not much more than a rash really.
  • missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had it 18 months ago. Very painful, lasted for about a week tops, seemingly quite short in comparison to many others as it is typically meant to last 3 weeks or more.

The problem I have is the scarring that is left behind, I have wee dimples in my forehead still which aren't that noticeable unless you look closely but I'm worried about further bouts of the stuff as I'll have get surgery if I get any further scarring occurs.

I had it when I was about 10 and I'm now 30 and it hasn't ever come back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I had it when I was 42. It affected one of my eyes, so I spent months going backwards and forwards to hospital to the eye clinic. Took ages to shake off.
  • RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My nephew (aged 4!) has just got over this.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been on gabapentin I am sure this can be used for shingles( not the reason I have been taken it)
  • Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother had them at the age of 3, brought on by the stress of our parents divorcing :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife had it on her waist in her 30s, no drugs then, it lasted months and she still has the scars.. I had it on my face in my 40s and was treated with drugs and it cleared up within a week.
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ive had it 3times in a year. on my left leg, I diagnosed it first time from search on internet. Dr first said "If I didn't know better, I would have said you have a Cold Sore on your leg"
    I have never ever had a Cold Sore on my lip in 77 yrs, my wife gets them frequently.