How to Integrate HDR-1800T into Home Network?

soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looking for some advice on how I can integrate a Humax HDR-1800T (that I have on order) into my home network?

I currently have a NAS server running Twonky media which has all my mp3 music, photos and family videos which I access through a couple of Window 7 laptops. We also have an iPad and Applemac but I haven't a clue how to connect IOS devices in.

Ideally I would like to:
- play NAS media content through the Humax onto the TV
- access Humax recordings via other devices
- access NAS media content via IOS devices (as well as Window devices)

Comments

• soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I will have to have a play and work it out for myself! :)
  • Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a FOX not an 1800T, but I found that it accessed stuff via the DLNA server on my Windows PC OK. I tried accessing the FOX's DLNA server on my smart TV, but failed. I don't know whether it needs to be enabled or configured in any way. (Since the FOX has a direct HDMI connection to the TV I don't need to access it in this way.)

I don't know anything about iOS.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's theoretically possible on my 2000T, but I'm damned if I can make head nor tail of it.
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice

Ask on Hummy.tv and don't ask me.

I currently have a NAS server running Twonky media
    Many of the active posting guys and girls at hummy.tv use Twonky on their HDR-FOX T2. Many of them are also aware of additional limitations of the HDR-2000T compared to the HDR-fox T2. As the HDR-1800T appears to be similar to the HDR-2000T you would be best asking on hummy.tv.

access Humax recordings via other devices
    The Humax freeview connectable devices have both a DLNA client and a DLNA server.

To see standard definition 1800T recordings on other devices you will need to:

(1) Enable file sharing on the 1800T.
    This is very easy. MENU >> Settings >> Internet Settings >> Content Share >> ON.
    This works for me using an HDR-2000t, an HDR-FOX T2 or an HD-FOX T2.

(2) Have a DLNA client installed on the receiving device (e.g. VLC but note that not all versions of VLC 'work')
    A DLNA client will be pre-installed on some devices. E.G. My TVs

(3) To play those recordings the receiving player needs to be able to play the TS format. VLC does this but 3 different makes of TV I have tried either can't cope with TS files unless they have recorded them or the TV distorts the picture.

I would like to:
    - play NAS media content through the Humax onto the TV
    Humax freeview recorders are limited with what they can play. First check whether the format of your files are playable from a USB memory device.
    The Humax media client tends to support less formats than what is playable via a USB memory device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks, plenty of starting points for me.
  • ejstubbsejstubbs Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    Many of the active posting guys and girls at hummy.tv use Twonky on their HDR-FOX T2.

Er, I don't think that's quite right. Firstly, I don't think anyone runs Twonky on the HDR-FOX T2 - AFAIK it's not been ported to the Humax. As you say, the Humax' built-in file sharing option (which is not Twonky) will share content on the box via DLNA. The customised firmware also allows users to run MediaTomb as an alternative UPnP media server on the Humax.

Secondly, and more importantly, the HDR-FOX T2 with file sharing enabled does not like being on the same network as another server running the latest versions of Twonky (version 7.x.x in particular) This has caught a number of people out when their NAS box automatically upgraded to a newer version of Twonky and their Humax promptly started crashing.

So in summary:
    - You can't run Twonky on the Humax;
    - The Humax does have its own DLNA server file sharing option (and an alternative open-source UPnP file sharing option available if you install the customised firmware);
    - If your NAS is running one of the version 7 iterations of Twonky, your Humax will probably crash if you enable its built-in file sharing feature.
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejstubbs wrote: »
    Er, I don't think that's quite right. Firstly, I don't think anyone runs Twonky on the HDR-FOX T2 - AFAIK it's not been ported to the Humax.
    Yes, that was indeed a typo.
    ejstubbs wrote: »
    Secondly, and more importantly, the HDR-FOX T2 with file sharing enabled does not like being on the same network as another server running the latest versions of Twonky (version 7.x.x in particular) This has caught a number of people out when their NAS box automatically upgraded to a newer version of Twonky and their Humax promptly started crashing.
    That's a bit harsh.
    It is becase of the experience at hummy.tv for networking potential issues and solutions with the HDR-FOX T2 that may also apply to the HDR-1800T that I was suggesting consulting hummy.tv.

I was responding to soulboy77's original post because hardly anyone else had done so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to report back. Installed the box yesterday and enabled 'everything'. The Humax can see the NAS and indeed play music, view photos and play videos (except for unsupported formats). A bit annoying that you need to remember to go into an option to select music, photos or video in order to tell it what files to look for on the NAS. Confuses the hell out of the Mrs as well as having to select the NAS or Humax HDD in the Media options.

Not had any success accessing recordings on the Humax from the PC yet. I have VLC installed and also WMP with .TS codec. I can see the Humax but it doesn't show any of the test recordings made. But then I only had minutes to play with this feature, as I had to go out.
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not had any success accessing recordings on the Humax from the PC yet. I have VLC installed and also WMP with .TS codec.
    Were the recordings HD or SD? Which version of VLC?
  • ejstubbsejstubbs Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh.

Was it? Sorry, it was meant to be a simple statement of fact - that Twonky v7 and the HDR-FOX T2 with file sharing on don't play well together - not shooting you down in flames. Apologies if it came over as critical of your advice to the OP.

As you point out, though, the OP has an HDR-1800T not an HDR-FOX T2, so it's also possible that the problems that the HDR-FOX T2 has with Twonky v7 aren't present in the later model.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were the recordings HD or SD? Which version of VLC?
    Found time to go back and play with the Humax HDR-1800T today. The test recordings I had before were HD but they do not appear at all when I view the Humax over the network from the laptop. So I did some SD recordings instead and low and behold the .TS video files appeared for these and I can play them in both Windows Media Player and also VLC v2.1.5 over the wi-fi. So a success!

Incidentally this is the codec pack for WMP I downloaded to give capability to play .TS files (it also adds support for many other file formats) - http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-Codec-Pack/3000-13632_4-10965840.html