upgrading my laptop Processor (intel)

I needed a small laptop which I could carry round and just do a little work, mainly thinks like email and some website building so I got my self a cheap Acer Aspire 5335.

now I know loads about desktops and sod all about laptops.

I will include the spec from there website below, but my question is, I want to upgrade the CPU from a intel Celeron 2 GHz
to a dual core. But I have no idea what chip size or sets fit laptops :confused:
Any help i would be greatfull

spex
Processor / Speed Intel® Celeron® dual-core mobile processor T1600/T1700 (1 M L2 cache, 1.66/1.83 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 35 W) , supporting Intel® 64 architecture, or
Intel® Celeron® mobile processor 575/585 (1 MB L2 cache, 2/2.16 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 35 W), supporting Intel® 64 architecture.

Core Logic Chipset Mobile Intel® GL40 Express Chipset.

System Bus Speed 667 MHz.

RAM / Max RAM Up to 2 GB of DDR2 667 MHz memory, upgradable to 4 GB using two soDIMM modules.

Video Subsystem Mobile Intel® GL40 Express Chipset with integrated 3D graphics, featuring Intel® Graphics Media

Accelerator 4500M (Intel® GMA 4500M) with up to 1759 MB of Intel® Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0 (64 MB of dedicated video memory, up to 1695 MB of shared system memory), supporting Microsoft® DirectX® 10.
LCD Properties Display 15.6" HD, 1366 x 768 pixel resolution, high-brightness (220-nit), Acer CineCrystal™ TFT LCD, supporting simultaneous multi-window viewing via Acer GridVista™ with 16:9 aspect ratio and 8 ms high-def response time.

Hard Disk Drive 120/160/250/320 GB or larger hard disk drive.

Optical Drive 8X DVD-Super Multi double-layer.

Battery, Primary 48.8 W 4400 mAh 6-cell Li-ion battery pack.
3.0-hour battery life.
2.5-hour rapid charge system-off.
3.5-hour charge-in-use.

Sound Subsystem Two built-in Acer 3DSonic stereo speakers.
High-definition audio support.
MS-Sound compatible.
Built-in microphone.

PCCard Support 1 ExpressCard™/54 slot.
Pointing Device Touchpad
Peripheral Subsystem ExpressCard™/54 slot.
Integrated Acer Crystal Eye webcam.
5-in-1 card reader (SD™, MMC, MS, MS PRO, xD).
Three USB 2.0 ports.
External display (VGA) port.
Headphone/speaker/line-out jack.
Microphone-in jack.
Ethernet (RJ-45) port.
Modem (RJ-11) port.
(varies by model)

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally the only upgradeable items in a laptop are: a) RAM, b) HDD and c) battery.

You will find the GPU is not at all upgradeable. CPU either is also impossible OR you would have to undertake significant disassembly of your laptop, (moreso than laptops are normally designed to have done by users). i.e. you can't just take the back panel off and just do it. Additionally you have to be very carefully to stick within the current power envelope of your laptop, both thermally and in terms of power draw; this means you won't be able to make that significant upgrades of your laptop anyway.

We always recommend people to focus on CPU and GPU for laptops when buying as these are the non-upgradeable parts.
  • chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Generally the only upgradeable items in a laptop are: a) RAM, b) HDD and c) battery.

You will find the GPU is not at all upgradeable. CPU either is also impossible OR you would have to undertake significant disassembly of your laptop, (moreso than laptops are normally designed to have done by users). i.e. you can't just take the back panel off and just do it. Additionally you have to be very carefully to stick within the current power envelope of your laptop, both thermally and in terms of power draw; this means you won't be able to make that significant upgrades of your laptop anyway.

We always recommend people to focus on CPU and GPU for laptops when buying as these are the non-upgradeable parts.
    I agree with this. I recently took apart a broken laptop to scavenge parts. The CPU was only accessible after it was in lots of pieces. Very hard to get to. That's without having to try to rebuild it...which is a scary thought.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Celeron you list is a dual core, it's a cut down version of a Pentium or a Core2 CPU... they all start out the same and are tweaked/crippled/modified by Intel depending on whether it'll be a low, mid or high spec CPU

edit: just noticed your list shows two possibilities for the laptop.... d'oh :D

.... assuming yours is the single core version, the CPU may be removable and upgradeable but it won't likely be cost effective as mobile CPU's are not cheap and it'll mean stripping down the laptop which is not for the faint hearted... I've replaced a mobile CPU recently and found almost no one sells mobile CPU's (well not AMD in any case) other than on Ebay.

For the relatively small gain a Core2 CPU would offer unless you're planning on heavy duty processing then it's a non starter...

Also you'd need to ensure the BIOS can cope with other CPU's before fitting another one.
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got my self a cheap Acer Aspire 5335.

I want to upgrade the CPU from a intel Celeron 2 GHz

As the others have said the CPU is sometimes upgradeable, but it's never cost effective. When shopping for a laptop, you should always get one with a processor that you will be happy with for the useable life of the laptop. Anything else is just false economy.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    The main question is why do you want to upgrade the CPU?

Do you have a specific need for a faster CPU?

Has the laptop started running slower?

As already said, there's rarely much point in even trying to upgrade the CPU in a laptop.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Not worth the risk, and as said, or money.
    Its one thing to try if you got a buncha scrap laptops for free, but if you buy, its just silly