2013 Classic Series DVD releases.

Comments

• davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Liking the sound of the Nicholas Courtney extra -- it might be the thing that makes me buy the dvd
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No news on The Ice Warriors??
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    No news on The Ice Warriors??

Most likely they will keep that quiet till reign is out. If news of that getting animated hits before reign comes out i could see that overshadowing reign as its more anticipated
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    Most likely they will keep that quiet till reign is out. If news of that getting animated hits before reign comes out i could see that overshadowing reign as its more anticipated

Good thinking
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no point releasing the 2 together on a seperate DVD IMO, it would look and feel hollow in my collection because, as I put my Dvds in story order, the dvd would have nowhere to go, and I would put it at the back, seperately, and only watch it on rare occasions. Without the complete stories, the 2 found episodes remain curios or oddities, giving me an insight or a glimpse of the story and not the full story itself. The Dvd release of the 2 together would lack substance.

Surely, the 2 might have worked better as extras on the Legacy boxset?

That is exactly what I thought that they would do - put them on the Legacy boxset.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore Me
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    They presumably think anyone who is a hardcore enough fan to want to see Airlock will be willing to pay for The Aztecs again.

The dvds go down to about £8 on amazon 6 months after release if you were prepared to wait.

I am not normally one to complain about the special edition releases because noone is forcing people to buy them. However, this is a deliberate move to sell more Aztecs SE by putting on a NEW Dr Who episode that most fans want to see. I want to see it. I don't want Aztecs again. They are milking fans on this one.

WHat they should have released was that G4:3 will be on the Aztecs SE as an extra but will also be available later in the year as an extra on a new story DVD (Tenth Planet for example).

I would be happy to wait rather then pay for something I don't want.

Luckily I wanted Spearheard SE otherwise I would have never purchased Terror of the Autons.

I'm actually glad that this the last year of releases so fans don't continually to get screwed over.

Yes we are thankful for releasing the DVD's and the extras are amazing but putting G4:3 on Aztecs SE this was a bad move IMO.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there were two odd episodes released together they could fit in your collection right next to Lost in Time. :) But that apparently isn't going to happen.

I don't really mind buying a special edition of The Aztecs since they bollixed up the VidFIRE on the original release.
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally buying the Aztecs again doesn't bother me because I love the story but yes I agree you shouldn't have to buy a rerelease to get a newly discovered episode.
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gslam2 wrote: »
    Personally buying the Aztecs again doesn't bother me because I love the story but yes I agree you shouldn't have to buy a rerelease to get a newly discovered episode.

And you get the recipe for chocolate in the extras...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    And you get the recipe for chocolate in the extras...

Going to be a lot of unplanned engagements! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanP wrote: »
    The Aztecs SE (plus Galaxy 4 ep 3): 11 mar :mad:

I was hoping Galaxy 4 - Airlock would be in with Tenth Planet, I might have got it on release if it had been. Now I don't now when or if I'll get to see it as I'm loathed to re-buy Aztecs just to get the rediscovered episode. Very cynical decision by BBC Worldwide to pair it with a special edition when their is still one unreleased Hartnell story.

said the same thing on another forum and in a way it would of made sense as Airlock would of made up for the missing 4th episode of Tenth Planet.

delighted More than Thirty Years is being released yet at the same time dissapointed that they couldn't of updated it into a More than Fifty years and brought it right up to the present day and added sections that looked into the wilderness years of the 1990's with the books, BF audios and tv movie and the new series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Larry1971 wrote: »

delighted More than Thirty Years is being released yet at the same time dissapointed that they couldn't of updated it into a More than Fifty years and brought it right up to the present day and added sections that looked into the wilderness years of the 1990's with the books, BF audios and tv movie and the new series.

They did something a bit like that on the TVM Revisitation, didn't they?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    Really? Extras for Terror of the Zygons? Does this include deleted scenes?

Here's proof if you want it: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2012/07/dwn310712220007-dvd-update-terror-of.html

It doesn't look like any deleted scenes exist for this story...:sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that aztecs SE its the only place they can really put galaxy 4. As both reign of terror and tenth planet would already be in production in the time of the episode find which would mean the budget for those would already been calculated based upon how many copies they were likely to sell. An extra episode would probably push the budget over or at least bump up the price of the dvd which could potentially hurt sales and considering sales of reign could be important regarding future animation im sure its something bbc worldwide dont want to risk. Also to take into consideration is the extras for the stories take up disc space as well. As im hearing there wont be much extras for reign im not going to be suprised if its a 1 disc release. Once you take into consideration 6 episodes the chris chapman making of documentary photo galery and the coming soon trailer there really wont be much room for anything else. Tenth planet will have the 3 episodes plus (hopefully animation for ep 4) a comprehensive making of (too important a story not to get 1) possibly the original vhs recon and possibly 1 or 2 little bits and pieces (doctor who stories Annake wills perhaps etc) that disc will be full too. As expanding them to 2 discs would cost more it does it really does make financial sence to put it on aztecs se where it would have be expanded to 2 discs even if galaxy 4 ep 3 wasnt on it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.k... that makes the list:

Shada (Legacy Box Set): UK: January 7th, US: NA
    The Reign of Terror: UK: January 28th, US: NA
    The Aztecs SE (plus Galaxy 4 ep 3): UK: March 11th, US: NA
    Terror of the Zygons: UK: June, US: NA

and

The Mind of Evil
    The Tenth Planet
    The Ice Warriors
    The Underwater Menace: Episode 2

I can't wait for some U.S. dates. :)
  • slider28slider28 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_DVD_releases

Shada in the US is to be released Jan 8th
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Region 1 cover of shada http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/17636

Its 3 disc set not a 2 disc set as originaly annouced
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Any update yet on Mind Of Evil & Inferno SE?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doomentia wrote: »
    Any update yet on Mind Of Evil & Inferno SE?

I dont expect a release date for mind of evil to be revealed until babelcolour finishes ep 1 incase of any delays. Nothing on inferno se release date
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slider28 wrote: »
    According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_DVD_releases

Shada in the US is to be released Jan 8th

Sweet! That makes the list:

Shada (Legacy Box Set): UK: January 7th, US: January 8th
    The Reign of Terror: UK: January 28th, US: NA
    The Aztecs SE (plus Galaxy 4 ep 3): UK: March 11th, US: NA
    Terror of the Zygons: UK: June, US: NA

The Mind of Evil
    The Tenth Planet
    The Ice Warriors
    The Underwater Menace: Episode 2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting quotes from steve roberts on the choice not to put Galaxy 4 ep 3 on the Reign of terror dvd.:'Reign of Terror' is a single disc release, there's no room to add another episode. Also, DW discs will only sell a finite amount and this is already an expensive release AND one which we need to look at carefully to see how much of a selling point the animation is. Adding a previously unreleased episode to it (which was an expensive restoration in its own right) will only serve to muddy the waters and lower the profit margins on the release.

As others have already pointed out, 'Reign' is already finished anyway.

On the decision not to release galaxy 4 on its own:If they released the G4 episode on its own, it would almost certainly be at a £9.99 price point. The new Aztecs plus G4 will be, what? £12.99? Maybe £14.99 at a push. So the price you're paying for the newly restored Aztecs plus an absolute shed load of previously unseen VAM is between three and five pounds. You can probably get most of that back by selling on the original release on eBay. Now, does that really seem to be that poor a deal?
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only imo but i think galaxy 4 has been added to the se of the aztecs to prop up the sales of this re release.there is nothing wrong with the original release at all and a re release without galaxy 4 would have poor sales.as i am trying to collect all existing episodes i am being forced into buying the aztecs again something i am not happy with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only imo but i think galaxy 4 has been added to the se of the aztecs to prop up the sales of this re release.there is nothing wrong with the original release at all and a re release without galaxy 4 would have poor sales.as i am trying to collect all existing episodes i am being forced into buying the aztecs again something i am not happy with.
    But there is nowhere it can go apart from a revisit.Its not really a case of putting it on a revisit to boost sales there is nowhere else it can go. It was too late for reign and did not have enough room. Tenth planet will most likely be full of extras due to importance of the story and wont have enough room on there
    I watched it a couple of months back and it certainly looks poor when you compare to other stories broadcast at that time (sensorites and keys of marinus). Seeing as its the first story that was VIDFIRED and that technique has come leaps and bounds since then it should look vastly improved. Just sell your original copies for those that are not happy (should at least be able to get 4 to 5 quid on it max) and then wait about 6 months after release the price should be about half the original price ie 6 to 7 quid and you only end up forking out 3 to 4 quid for aztecs looking better than ever with airlock as an extra: bargain!
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could have essily been dumped into the Legacy Box set. It's clearly only a marketing reason its been put on the Aztecs.

Whichever release G4 was put on it would boost sales as its never before seen (since 1965). It could have easily been put on Tenth Planet.

and if they really wanted to sell more Reign of Terror they could have put it on a 2 disc set and included the Peter Purves interview and Verity Lambert interviews stuck in the Legacy Box.

There were other options available to them. People say there was no time but how long has the Reign disc been delayed by? THere was no actual deadline