Humax HDR2000T

barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I believe all Humax boxes have been unable to play YouTube files since 7/8/2014.

It's a known problem that Humax are working on, so I thought I'd leave this here as a marker.

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have asked Humax about this problem and have received replies from two customer service employees.

The first was from Robert W, who sent an obviously scripted reply that has no relevance to the problem at all:
    "Turn the Humax Box off with the remote
    Then turn the Humax Box off at the mains
    Turn the modem/router off at the mains for 5 minutes
    Then turn the modem/router on at the mains
    Then wait 5 minutes and turn the Humax Box On
    This should enable the box to have full access to the internet"

The second was from Luke, who referred me to a topic on the MyHumax forum, pointing out that is a Humax fault that they have been aware of since 5th August.
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/help-please/page/2

I have just sent a further message to Humax customer service requesting a progress report. If there is no answer forthcoming I am going to demand a refund from the supplier of the grounds that the my HDR 2000T is faulty and that a replacement is not appropriate as Humax are unable to deal with the problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I received this reply this morning, so it seems we'll have to wait and see. At least it confirms that there's no point in re-setting the box or fiddling around with any settings.

"This issue has been passed on for investigation and is being looked into. Unfortunately we are not aware of this time as to when it will be resolved. We expect that the changes will be made on the TV Portal so there will no requirement for you to change anything on the product.

Best Regards,

Robert W

Humax Customer Support"
  • who10ukwho10uk Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    I got the same standard reply from Humax yesterday.

I'd urge everyone to e-mail them politely requesting an update. The more impact they think this is having, the higher priority they *may* give the issue.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure who Robert W is but I asked him two questions about the 2000T

Why is there no RF loop through when the PVR is in standby?
    Reply," Our information is that viewers use the PVR to watch TV therefore few people require the loop through although there may be an update for this."

Why does the 2000T scramble CEC control (Bravia sync, Viera sync Samsung Any Net etc) as there are no problems with the Fox T2.
    Reply, " Your TV is not responding to the 2000T wake up command", presumably Humax and Sony CEC commands are incompatible. (Samsung and Panasonic as well according to what I have read).

So I asked what brands of TV the 2000T CEC commands were compatible with. He said he would get back to me but a month later I'm still awaiting a reply to that.

I'm not sure what decade Humax are living in.

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure who Robert W is but I asked him two questions about the 2000T

Why is there no RF loop through when the PVR is in standby?
    Reply," Our information is that viewers use the PVR to watch TV therefore few people require the loop through although there may be an update for this."
    Pretty sure from another thread about the 2000T that it has a high power standby mode, isn't it (rather confusingly) called Lo-Eco mode or something similar?

If you select that mode then it should maintain loop-through in standby. Albeit at the expense of a bit more on your electricity bill.

You would have though Humax would know that...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Pretty sure from another thread about the 2000T that it has a high power standby mode, isn't it (rather confusingly) called Lo-Eco mode or something similar?

If you select that mode then it should maintain loop-through in standby. Albeit at the expense of a bit more on your electricity bill.

You would have though Humax would know that...

The Fox T2 has that but the 2000T doesn't seem to have it as a menu option, it can be solved by splitting the signal to the 2000T and the TV of course assuming you have enough signal.
    If you use CEC to enable the TV to control an external audio/DVD system the 2000T causes endless problems (lots about this on various forums) so you either have to turn the TV's HDMI control off and go back to using two remote controls, or carefully place a small piece of tape over pin 13 on the HDMI plug. Lindy sell an adaptor on Amazon that is supposed to break the CEC signal but several were released with pin 13 still connected. The last time I looked, someone on Amazon claimed the problem had been fixed but I can't confirm that. Apparently "Now" boxes have similar problems and Sky is investigating the matter.
    My 2000T was a cut price "Customer Return" at John lewis, they had two of them, easy to see why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Fox T2 has that but the 2000T doesn't seem to have it as a menu option, it can be solved by splitting the signal to the 2000T and the TV of course assuming you have enough signal.
    Could have sworn it was a thread about the 2000T. Maybe it wasn't then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is confusing as the 2000T seems to be based on the Fox T2, but it is a very inferior product sadly.
  • Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is confusing as the 2000T seems to be based on the Fox T2, but it is a very inferior product sadly.
    So I've heard, which is why I've just got a "Grade A" HDR-FOX T2-G for £129+carriage from Humax Direct. It looks brand new, only the Quick Start Guide is a little dog eared, so maybe it was beyond the original owner.
  • Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Could have sworn it was a thread about the 2000T.
    Maybe it was an 1800T thread which does have pass through in standby.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you use CEC to enable the TV to control an external audio/DVD system the 2000T causes endless problems (lots about this on various forums) so you either have to turn the TV's HDMI control off and go back to using two remote controls, or carefully place a small piece of tape over pin 13 on the HDMI plug. Lindy sell an adaptor on Amazon that is supposed to break the CEC signal but several were released with pin 13 still connected. The last time I looked, someone on Amazon claimed the problem had been fixed but I can't confirm that.

It was my comment on Amazon. I had problems with CEC on both a 2000T and an HDR-1000S so I bought one for the 1000S which is the main PVR I use and the adaptor fixed that so I bought another for the 2000T, both adaptors are now fitted and working fine.

Of course I can't say there isn't old stock that doesn't work somewhere but for me they were both good. At nearly £10 it is expensive for what it is but it is easier and less likely to cause problems than tape or cutting wires in the cable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apparently the 1800T does pass the RF signal in standby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could well be right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Apparently the 1800T does pass the RF signal in standby.

Sorry I misread the original post so my comment makes no sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    It was my comment on Amazon. I had problems with CEC on both a 2000T and an HDR-1000S so I bought one for the 1000S which is the main PVR I use and the adaptor fixed that so I bought another for the 2000T, both adaptors are now fitted and working fine.

Of course I can't say there isn't old stock that doesn't work somewhere but for me they were both good. At nearly £10 it is expensive for what it is but it is easier and less likely to cause problems than tape or cutting wires in the cable.

I was one of the unfortunate people who bought a faulty one from Amazon with pin 13 still connected. I got a full refund from Avides who didn't want the original back so I assume that they had seen the problem before. Pleased to hear that the current batch is OK as there is a demand for this product and modifying an HDMI plug with tape is very fiddly.
    Also interested to hear that the HDR-1000s suffers from the same problem as I saw an HDR-1000T as a customer return in John Lewis yesterday, probably suffers from similar problems.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes this. I've been massively disappointed with my 2000T, to the point I'm just getting rid of it.

Well done Humax for managing to release an upgrade that is worse than the box it's supposed to replace. >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway - back onto the original topic...

iPlayer still isn't working and I'm afraid I'm not sure if I believe that the technical people at Humax don't know exactly what's causing it.

I noticed some small print in the handbook that says the apps can be changed without notice, but if it isn't put right within the next day or two I'm sending it back and I certainly won't be buying a Humax product ever again.
  • Max DemianMax Demian Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

iPlayer still isn't working and I'm afraid I'm not sure if I believe that the technical people at Humax don't know exactly what's causing it.
    The original topic was about YouTube.
    I noticed some small print in the handbook that says the apps can be changed without notice, but if it isn't put right within the next day or two I'm sending it back and I certainly won't be buying a Humax product ever again.
    What are you going to buy instead?

IMO the Internet stuff is nothing to do with the PVR functionality and is best incorporated into a 'smart' TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Max Demian wrote: »
    IMO the Internet stuff is nothing to do with the PVR functionality and is best incorporated into a 'smart' TV.

I would say the opposite and that it is best in the PVR because:

1. It is cheaper to replace a PVR than a TV.
    2. The PVR is the hub and the thing you control continually with the TV being primarily a display. Okay some people usually use the TV EPG but if you have a PVR that is just dumb imho and defeats a large point of having a PVR.
    3. The PVR has a hard disk and if the powers that be ever get their act in order and have downloadable rather than streamed catchup (as with Sky) that needs a hard disk.
  • Bob1942Bob1942 Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

IPlayer is ok it's YouTube as mentioned elsewhere
  • pilgrim42pilgrim42 Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    I believe all Humax boxes have been unable to play YouTube files since 7/8/2014.

It's a known problem that Humax are working on, so I thought I'd leave this here as a marker.

Both YouTube and iPlayer are working fine on my 2000T and have been for some weeks, although flash files don't work and never have. I watch a lot of archived stuff such as British steam locos without any problems.
    Mike
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry - I'm confusing myself now. I said iPlayer when I intended to say YouTube. It still isn't working and I have already tried resetting it to the factory default and the subsequent pain of setting it all up again. Strangely, I thought, it successfully connected to my router without me having to do anything at all. iPlayer works perfectly.
    pilgrim42 wrote: »
    Both YouTube and iPlayer are working fine on my 2000T and have been for some weeks, although flash files don't work and never have. I watch a lot of archived stuff such as British steam locos without any problems.
    Mike
    There have always been files that wouldn't play, but the majority of these seemed to be videos that were over an hour in duration. It made me wonder if a limit had been set on the size of files that the machine would play.

It stopped working overnight. I went to my saved searches and nothing that I'd watched the day before would play. I even picked a few of those pointless "most popular" videos and none of them played - in fact nothing will at all, even 20 second clips.
  • pilgrim42pilgrim42 Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Sorry - I'm confusing myself now. I said iPlayer when I intended to say YouTube. It still isn't working and I have already tried resetting it to the factory default and the subsequent pain of setting it all up again. Strangely, I thought, it successfully connected to my router without me having to do anything at all. iPlayer works perfectly.

There have always been files that wouldn't play, but the majority of these seemed to be videos that were over an hour in duration. It made me wonder if a limit had been set on the size of files that the machine would play.

It stopped working overnight. I went to my saved searches and nothing that I'd watched the day before would play. I even picked a few of those pointless "most popular" videos and none of them played - in fact nothing will at all, even 20 second clips.

I spoke too soon: both the HDFox and the 2000T are now showing a blank black screen on YouTube. Let's hope there's a fix ongoing, but don't hold your breath.....
    Mike.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One can only hope that by keeping this thread going Humax will be embarrassed into trying to do something about it.

However, judging by the way they don't seem to have taken any notice at all of the topics that were pinned on their behalf, I somehow doubt it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One can only hope that by keeping this thread going Humax will be embarrassed into trying to do something about it.

However, judging by the way they don't seem to have taken any notice at all of the topics that were pinned on their behalf, I somehow doubt it.

I doubt that Robert W of customer services, if he exists, will be embarrassed.