Your Thoughts On Reception Quality: Post Switch-Over.

Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well it has been just over two years since the Digital Switch-Over finished so what are your thoughts regarding reception:

1: Has it put an end to the problems that arise from Co-Channel Interference?.

2: What is reception like around Manor Road in Erith and do you still receive your signal from Crystal Palace or has the switch-over meant that you now have to receive your signal from Bluebell Hill[Meridian]?.

I find that it has put an end to the days of grainy pictures as well as ghosting and that the pictures are brighter, I used to live in Erith but now live in the North East hence the question regarding Manor Road in Erith.

Now over to you.

Comments

• fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was playing with my new TV and gald I can pick up the extra HD channels here many cannot.
    Also get London Live on channel 8 but BBC LookEast & Anglia on 1 and 3.
    Though the other signals are all in the 900s.
    This is after 5 min in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfvBSSycJkY
  • Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. No. The TV networks are CCI limited by design.

2. Couldn't give a fig. Don't live there. ;) However, the predictions suggest CP is the best source of signals. http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/trade/DA8+2AE/27/0/a0depvu00cuk8nvks7bqju8ub0
    Google streetview shows all the roof aerials pointing to CP as well.

Grainy pictures existed in analogue TV as that is how noise (weak signal levels) manifested... Digital equivalent is nothing... or on the cusp breakup / blocking and stutter.

Ghosting (or delayed image interference) in DTT can help by reinforcing a signal, or cause breakup / blocking and stutter.

You are watching RGB pictures rather than PAL encoded composite analogue - so seeing it how it was in the studios before it went through the analogue chains. You may hav turned up the contrast, brightness and colour settings on the TV as well ;)
  • kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1: Has it put an end to the problems that arise from Co-Channel Interference?.

Yep - No Sandy Heath wiping stuff out :)

Alas 4G came along to mess up the HD multiplex but a 4G filter fixed that.

It also means indoor aerials work well here once again (tbh a wet piece of string works fine since DSO - we'll the bit of wire that came with my HiFi at any rate )

At least on my outdoor aerial I don't have the pre-DSO issues (where signal boosters ruined the analogue channels, but without them you couldn't get SDN, Multiplex C or D reliably).
    The weeks between DSO step 3 and step 4 were interesting as you had to put up with breakup on PSB1 (overloading) or lose SDN, COM5 and COM6; and once we'd gone through Step 4 the signal booster could come out and the mode change (with no power increase) on SDN was just enough to keep it working without the signal booster provided you could put up with some breakup. Only the last DSO step down the road at Oxford allowed that multiplex to get it's much needed power boost!