Options

WD TV Live

Anyone using one of these things? i'm looking to buy either a blu ray player that supports netflix or one of these. What i really want to know is file compatibility Can the WDTV live play most formats including flacs? . I know the website says it will play lots of formats, but in reality this isn't always the case. At the moment i'm using a ps3 as a media streamer and i sick of having to convert files to play.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    tim1964tim1964 Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had mine a week now after using a Zyxel DMA1000 which could only play AVIs so I had to convert the files from Mp4 or MKV first. The WD does in fact play anything I have to put on it. The picture is also HD if the file is HD and it upscales if it isn't.

It's much better playing BBC's iPlayer and HD YouTube on the big telly screen.

As the ad says "does exactly what it says on the tin"

Got mine as a warranty recon from Dabs for £50.66 but, except for the original box, everything in the package was brand new .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I sold my bluray player to get a WDTV live, have had it for about 18months now and so far am yet to find a media file it will not play!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    Looks like we have a winner, thx for the quick replies.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Another vote for the WD TV Live, it's played every file format I've thrown at it, unlike my Sony TV, bluray player and PS3.
  • Options
    pavierpavier Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought the Asus O!Play instead of the WDTV a few years back because at the time the WDTV couldn't play Real Media or flash (.flv) files, in particular unconverted downloaded youtube videos.
    I've asked before, on DS and other forums, if this is still an issue but never get a reply. I gather a few months ago there was a firmware update that addressed this but from what I've read on some forums it's hit and miss, playing some files but not others.
    Also the WDTV is supposed to take a lot longer than the Asus to recognize a connected hard drive (my Asus takes about 20 seconds for my 1.5Tb drive to become usable, about 2 thirds full with thousands of files, dvds, wmv, flash etc).

So can anyone confirm if any of the above is still an issue?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    pavier wrote: »
    I bought the Asus O!Play instead of the WDTV a few years back because at the time the WDTV couldn't play Real Media or flash (.flv) files, in particular unconverted downloaded youtube videos.
    I've asked before, on DS and other forums, if this is still an issue but never get a reply. I gather a few months ago there was a firmware update that addressed this but from what I've read on some forums it's hit and miss, playing some files but not others.
    Also the WDTV is supposed to take a lot longer than the Asus to recognize a connected hard drive (my Asus takes about 20 seconds for my 1.5Tb drive to become usable, about 2 thirds full with thousands of files, dvds, wmv, flash etc).

So can anyone confirm if any of the above is still an issue?

Never tried either real media or flv file on mine tbh..

there hasnt been a fw update for the live in months now and according to many forums there wont be any more either....

As for the drive, on the stock WD firmware mine only takes about 15-20secs or so to scan my 1TB drive on bootup, but if you flash custom wtdtvXL firmware, its almost instant and you can mod the fw too, for example keep to the 5v usb power to the drive constantly on even when wdtv powered down so the drive stays on...