Options

'Emmerdale' thrashes 'EastEnders' in Thursday ratings clash

Comments

• Options
    Melephunk2010Melephunk2010 Posts: 38,387
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    I could do with a Coffee actually. Im just trying to prove a point though. That its nothing new,it wasnt out of the blue and things will return normal Come Monday. I wonder if a Emmerdale or Corrie hits 5million thread will be started tomorrow due to CIN clash?

Of course Emmerdale and Corrie will decline tonight, considering that CIN is one of the biggest charity events of the year!! :rolleyes:

Considering though that Emmerdale is still on a high and is still pulling in nearly 7 million viewers following the anniversary last month, Eastenders will have tough competition..and even if Emmerdale do get beaten it'll be by a handful of viewers, not 2 million. :p
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The difference yesterday was that the 2 ED episodes were over one hour instead of being split into their usual two eppys.
    it's unlikely people will switch over in the middle of two episodes so that's why EE suffered this week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wanna bet 50 quid that im right? lol...

yes. Of course I do. I want to bet a virtual 50 quid with a stranger I don't even know. Lets make it a million pounds shall we? ;)

If Eastenders beats Emmerdale I will run around my estate wearing nothing but a bit of mistletoe. ;)
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    We know ... if you actually stopped and read what Melephunk said we all know that you are trying to make a point ... and that in itself was Melephunk's point ... too many points.

Go and make a coffee right now, OK? :D
    Yeah i could see what he/She was trying to say. One thing though That Article is wrong. Its badly researched There has been a bigger gap between both soaps before and EastEnders dipped to 4.9m in the Summer against the olympics....Coffee it is :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dixon wrote: »
    The difference yesterday was that the 2 ED episodes were over one hour instead of being split into their usual two eppys.
    it's unlikely people will switch over in the middle of two episodes so that's why EE suffered this week.
    This :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yes. Of course I do. I want to bet a virtual 50 quid with a stranger I don't even know. Lets make it a million pounds shall we? ;)

If Eastenders beats Emmerdale I will run around my estate wearing nothing but a bit of mistletoe. ;)
    I want pictures to prove it ;)
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    The difference on this occasion, Deputy Director of the BBC Mr 2008, is that previously when Emmerdale and Eastenders have clashed in this way recently, there was a marginal gap between them and both shows dipped.

On this occasion, there was a 2 million gap and only EE dipped whilst Emmerdale maintained the consistent figures it has been getting recently (in fact it was higher than the past couple if I remember correctly)

This is significant, particularly as it was a relatively major exit of two 'popular' characters
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder will Eastenders win the Xmas ratings battle this year or will Downton and Corrie beat it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tom_Willis wrote: »
    I wonder will Eastenders win the Xmas ratings battle this year or will Downton and Corrie beat it
    EastEnders will be fine. Back in the 2004/2005/2006 ERa when EastEnders fell to an 'All time low' of like 3.4million it still managed to pull it out of the bag at xmas.

There's plenty of big storylines lined up for the festive season anyway
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders will be fine. Back in the 2004/2005/2006 ERa when EastEnders fell to an 'All time low' of like 3.4million it still managed to pull it out of the bag at xmas.

There's plenty of big storylines lined up for the festive season anyway

I'm not so confident it will this year but looking forward to it anyway. It's usually brilliant at xmas.
  • Options
    DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use to be a big EE fan, defending it on this very forum! Now I'm an ED fan, EE is just .. so poor. really hope they manage to revive it though, it needs a reboot imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not so confident it will this year but looking forward to it anyway. It's usually brilliant at xmas.
    I am as always
    I have No doubt at all that EastEnders will be fine at xmas
    Xmas day is a Tuesday so the BBC will likely want the 7:30pm-8:30pm slot just like they did a few years back with EastEnders airing at 8:00pm on the Friday (as normal)

With Xmas eve being a Monday and EastEnders airing in it's normal slot that will also help it alot
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course Emmerdale and Corrie will decline tonight, considering that CIN is one of the biggest charity events of the year!! :rolleyes:

Considering though that Emmerdale is still on a high and is still pulling in nearly 7 million viewers following the anniversary last month, Eastenders will have tough competition..and even if Emmerdale do get beaten it'll be by a handful of viewers, not 2 million. :p

Excellent point. And the sad fact is that with the massively hyped (at least on DS), 'Chryed' departure last night, EE should have had great ratings, not lower than it's had for years.

There comes a point - round about now - when Dan needs to hold his hands up, admit that things are pretty bad, and hope for a big improvement to come. Right now, he sounds like somebody trying to convince the rest of us that the earth is in fact flat. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Excellent point. And the sad fact is that with the massively hyped (at least on DS), 'Chryed' departure last night, EE should have had great ratings, not lower than it's had for years.

There comes a point - round about now - when Dan needs to hold his hands up, admit that things are pretty bad, and hope for a big improvement to come. Right now, he sounds like somebody trying to convince the rest of us that the earth is in fact flat. ;)
    It's not though....4.9m earlier this year.

Is the Earth not flat then?;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's fecking WHAT????!!! ;);););):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It did well last year considering it was nothing more than a boring filler episode! This year has the departure of a major character so i expect it to do extremely well!
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not though....4.9m earlier this year.

Is the Earth not flat then?;)

Was it, I didn't know that. :eek: You must be delighted about last night's relatively brilliant ratings then. :p:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It did well last year considering it was nothing more than a boring filler episode! This year has the departure of a major character so i expect it to do extremely well!
    This^ 9.9m last xmas day (beating Downton when head to head * Downton came out top with Officials*

This year we have

The return of Bianca,Carol ,the kids and the rumoured return of
    David wicks

A Wedding

A Reveal

A Murder
    Was it, I didn't know that. :eek: You must be delighted about last night's relatively brilliant ratings then. :p:D:D:D
    Yes it did
    It was a Thursday in August:)

Last night was expected I thought and I posted in the TV ratings thread on Wednesday that Emmerdale will be it by quite a bit so im not at all surprised.
  • Options
    Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan, I dont mean this ina nasty way, or with any harm or offence meant, but will you please give it a rest? Stop repeating yourself post after post after post! We get that you think EE will be back on top on Monday. Just calm down yeah?

Its like he's on some kind of loop repeating the same thing over and over again.

EE needs a massive shake up that rating last night isn't good enough. Emmerdale destroyed it can't see EE recovering viewers opted to watch Emmerdale for the whole hour last night and not bothering turning over watching Eastenders for half an hour.
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    EastEnders has seen a terrible slide in ratings that nobody can defend. Last nights rating would be acceptable if tonight it reached 8m and on Monday it got 9m but the recent trend tells us it's not going to happen. The BBC3 repeat isn't even performing well, not so long ago it would have easily added 1m extra viewers. The Friday night omnibus is bizarre, move it back to Sunday at least.

There is no hype around EastEnders either, no build up and no storyline on the near horizon that we know will get the nation gripped. Without those storylines the day to day episodes aren't worth watching, EastEnders used to have about three great blockbuster episodes a year along with a few excellent weeks of buildup but we don't even get that anymore.

I don't think Emmerdale is up to much either, I've found it unwatchable some weeks but when it beats EastEnders by such a big margin, the BBC need a wake up call.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    I'm not bothered what EE get's in the ratings, I did think it would get more for last night though, seems how popular Chryed are, but the BBC3 repeat got a lot of viewers.
  • Options
    cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Eastenders and I know it got mixed reactions but I really enjoyed the 2010 - 2012 era of the show too. The cast list is great at the moment, but the last eight or nine weeks of the show have been really boring and I've found myself enjoying Hollyoaks far more for the first time in many years. I fear the show may end up going into a 2004/2006 style crisis before long if this continues, I really hope it doesn't though and I'm looking forward to Christmas and the Jacksons and Dot's returns. I don't think the low ratings for yesterday are that bad. There have been plenty of occasions in the past when Emmerdale has came out on top, sometimes with double the amount they beat Eastenders by yesterday.
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At first I thought 'I can't believe that this thread is still rumbling on ...' then I remembered that dan2008 is like a dog with a very big EastEnders shaped bone ...
  • Options
    Lewis26Lewis26 Posts: 1,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    I'm not bothered what EE get's in the ratings, I did think it would get more for last night though, seems how popular Chryed are, but the BBC3 repeat got a lot of viewers.

It used to get over a million for the repeat, especially if it clashed but eastenders main show got beat by emmerdale and the repeat was beaten by first look hollyoaks.

The show is shite and the figures are reflecting that.
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is appalling! :eek: