Options

George Michael dies

Comments

• Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a talent - His music is in my DNA. I'm devastated by this news.
  • Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So shocked by this news...loved him to bits and had the pleasure of seeing him live, what a wonderful voice and great talent, he will be missed RIP George xxxx :(:(
  • Options
    lollipop1995lollipop1995 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God, 2016 has been a TERRIBLE year for celebrity deaths :( :eek: David Bowie, Terry Wogan, Alan Rickman (and that's only a handful!) and now George Michael!
  • Options
    hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a shock so sad he is a music legend he had a great voice and some amazing songs
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terribly sad news. 53 is absolutely no age in modern times.

I was just thinking about how many people in their 90s are still going strong and still working - I watched a documentary this week presented by Nicholas Parsons aged 92, travelling to and from Paris etc. at his grand old age, absolutely on the ball. And today I watched the Queen who is a better speaker and reader of autocue at 90 than at 50. There are a number of others. Yet 2016 has cut down a swathe of British icons in music, film, theatre and other fields, all gone before their time.

RIP.
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awful Christmas weekend for the British music industry-first Rick Parfitt, now George Michael. Two of the legends of Live Aid, too. I went to see George on his tour in Newcastle four years ago. Shocking news. RIP George Michael.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's something almost sadistic about a man whose voice is heard every Christmas on two of the most popular Christmas songs dying on Christmas Day.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Bowie, Prince and George Michael in the same year
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,923
    Forum Member
    All I can think is I am going to be devastated when any of Take That go. Please let that be a long long time in the future. 😢
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    There's something almost sadistic about a man whose voice is heard every Christmas on two of the most popular Christmas songs dying on Christmas Day.

Indeed. Life has a cruel sense of irony.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As others have said, its no age. One of the great pop vocalists, instantly recognisable. 2016 is relentless for famous deaths, most recently Greg Lake, Rick Parfitt and now George.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hackjo wrote: »
    Not unexpected if you know of his recent troubled health history and absence from the public eye, but a sad loss of a very talented man.

Perhaps the lesson of 2016 is that celebrity culture is at an end and we should focus on those we truly know and love and who are closest to us.
    Care to expand on that?
  • Options
    Superstar99Superstar99 Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terribly sad, made me feel quite ill, for me the greatest singer live I've ever heard. Flawless and a fantastic songwriter, writing some of the most iconic songs of all time.

What a terrible day to die on. Xmas will never feel the same again.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »

Yep, I know for me personally this has been one of the worst years I can remember but in general it just seems like a vicious cruel unrelenting one.
  • Options
    hackjohackjo Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Care to expand on that?

Rumors of HIV, several recent bouts of ill health including pneumonia that nearly killed him, falling out of a car on the motorway a couple of years ago, multiple addictions. Matter of time sadly. A troubled man.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really shocked at this, Wonder if he had aids and something like pneumonia finished him. :(

RIP to a true legend.
  • Options
    RickLopezRickLopez Posts: 14,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So shocked and sad. :(

Careless whisper is one of my favourite songs
  • Options
    Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    Utterly shocked and totally gutted even though he's clearly been ill for a long time. No doubt it will emerge that the ongoing speculation was correct 😞

Such a massive, massive part of my childhood - I was a Wham! girl all the way - and even made my boyfriend be quiet in the car yesterday and turned the radio up so I could listen to Last Christmas uninterrupted, which seems hugely ironic now.

An irreplaceable talent and another devastating loss to music in 2016 😢
    dizzie wrote: »
    But this one is a giant shock - mostly because of his age, but there have been vague rumours for a long time about his health. Who knows what the cause of death was, but the phrasing of 'died peacefully at home' seems to indicate a pre-existing terminal illness.

RIP George. Make It Big was the very first album I bought with my own money - I was so young, but loved his music so, so much. Such a talent, and he'll be badly missed.

Agreed although I don't think the rumours were vague......

I loved every single song on Make It Big 😌
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    Got to be more of a story to come here, the use of 'died peacefully' in the statement is very telling, 53 year olds don't just drop dead unexpectedly. Got to be a long term illness like AIDS or Cancer.

RIP to a legendary act and an amazing voice
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even know what to say:(
  • Options
    hackjohackjo Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    Yep, I know for me personally this has been one of the worst years I can remember but in general it just seems like a vicious cruel unrelenting one.

It's coincidence - I mean, millions die every day and nobody notices, but with so many celebrity deaths it does look creepy. If anything, it is a reminder of mortality (if any were needed).

I guess as these cultural touch points disappear, we should reflect on the positive lesson to be taken - focus on those we truly know and love and nurture our own talents and those of people close to us.

In the words of Dylan - the times they are a-changing.
  • Options
    Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of the original line-up of Band Aid gone in the space of a weekend.

This year can go and do one.
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In his heyday he helped inspire and mould a generation and was/is an absolute icon to so many who grew up in that generation ... in his latter life a troubled soul but I will always remember him as the superstar he most certainly was.

RIP George MIchael - your star will shine bright tonight.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    Terribly sad news, a great singer with so many long lasting songs. A little teary when that notification popped up on my phone :(
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hackjo wrote: »
    It's coincidence - I mean, millions die every day and nobody notices, but with so many celebrity deaths it does look creepy. If anything, it is a reminder of mortality (if any were needed).

I guess as these cultural touch points disappear, we should reflect on the positive lesson to be taken - focus on those we truly know and love and nurture our own talents and those of people close to us.

In the words of Dylan - the times they are a-changing.

You say that, but our local authority has been having a absolute crisis with crematorium capacity this year. We've got an elderly population, but still. It started with a bad flu spell in January and hasn't let up.

A few towns is still anecdotal, but I'm starting to feel genuinely unsettled. :-(