Is Tracy Barlow ruining Corrie for anyone else?

Comments

• Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,438
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the stats Rita, very interesting. Not sure what can be gleaned from them.

I guess if a character is popular, then equally, somebody might watch, mainly for that character. Judging by this thread, Tracy's character certainly seems to be generating interest.

I used to tune in just to watch Blanche.

Yes, as I've said previously some people do tune in to soaps for a particular character or characters or storylines.

But, I also think that the reverse is true:- some people stop watching because of particular characters or storylines. If you're the sort of person that might do that it's easier to keep watching if the character you dislike doesn't really get any major storylines and isn't used much.
    But if you're the sort of person that might switch off and a character you dislike may be on your screen for around half a year, acting in major storylines then I can quite easily see how people might be tempted to stop watching.

The 2005 and 2006 stats do show, quite clearly, that Tracy was one of the show's central characters at that time and that she was appearing in almost 50% of the episodes broadcast.

If the same happens in 2011 then I do think that some people might be tempted to switch off, purely because they dislike her and the frequency with which she is appearing.
  • chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not me. Love her acid tongue and great put-downs!

Great put downs like Blanche maybe !

those two are comparable like Brazil & Accrington Stanley are in football :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Tracy Barlow is ruining Corrie for EVERYONE I know that watches it. So the sooner she goes the higher the audience figures shall be ... But she has single handedly ruined a great build up in audience figures for the soap after the fantastic tram week ... shame on your Corrie producers.
  • Sally LinzSally Linz Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Blanche was still there, Tracy's return would have been more bearable. I'd love to hear Blanche's thoughts.
  • chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    I agree with this 100% and the psycho panto Norris fanatic woman

Love the description :D
    Difference with this character, is a cameo role every so often, even though she is a raving nutter she is not on the screen long enough to create a storm.
    My big gripe in bringing Tracy back is massively overplaying her rudeness, nastiness & above all her air time to the detriment of the whole programme, just my humble opinion of course.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Personally, I put the blame firmly at the feet of the script writers.
    They have ensured that the majority of Tracy's lines are 'home runs' You find more standard dialouge in a sit-com. I really hope this is a temporary situation and that Tracy will be given lines reflecting a somewhat regular human being rather soon.

I've actually been noticing this sort of script dialogue becoming more and more prominent in EastEnders. Could it be that the current crop of writers involved in Soap Opera just don't have a clue on how conversation works?

I blame Facebook.
  • IdacyderIdacyder Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since Tracy Barlow has been reintroduced, Corrie has lost all credibility (and it didn`t have much anyway). Although we know its soapland, its taking things a bit too far when the scriptwriters write scenarios that would be illegal in real life and with reactions so utterly unrealistic. There`s no way Tracy Barlow would have been released from prison on the reasons given, there`s no way a murderer, albeit the mother, would be allowed to walk into a family and take a child away, why haven`t social services been in the act? There`s no way Ken and Deirdre would have allowed her to do that to a child and there`s no way they would have allowed Tracy to behave in such an unscrupulous way to all and sundry. Deirdre is supposed to be a fairly intelligent woman. Sorry Corrie but its just a total farce now and more unrealistic than Eastenders. In real life, people do usually learn from past experiences - they don`t in Corrie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idacyder wrote: »
    Since Tracy Barlow has been reintroduced, Corrie has lost all credibility (and it didn`t have much anyway). Although we know its soapland, its taking things a bit too far when the scriptwriters write scenarios that would be illegal in real life and with reactions so utterly unrealistic. There`s no way Tracy Barlow would have been released from prison on the reasons given, there`s no way a murderer, albeit the mother, would be allowed to walk into a family and take a child away, why haven`t social services been in the act? There`s no way Ken and Deirdre would have allowed her to do that to a child and there`s no way they would have allowed Tracy to behave in such an unscrupulous way to all and sundry. Deirdre is supposed to be a fairly intelligent woman. Sorry Corrie but its just a total farce now and more unrealistic than Eastenders. In real life, people do usually learn from past experiences - they don`t in Corrie.

All of this post is golden but the bit I highlighted is, I think, my main issue with the whole sorry storyline (aside from Kate Ford's acting). It's just... beyond belief and it's insulting to the cast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    She's definitely ruining it for me.

Mind you bleddy Becky is getting my my nerves too, I'm sick of her gurning, heavy breathing and gum-chewing. As for Steve, he needs to get a back bone.

In fact so much of it is getting on my nerves that I don't know why I'm watching (habit probably). Eg Every time Sally has a go at Kevin for sleeping with Molly I find myself screaming at the tv reminding her how much extra marital bonkings she had.
    I'm sick of Leanne, she's going to break Peter's heart.

Anyway, I can see a future for Tyrone with either Maria or Fizz, so looking forward to that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    Idacyder wrote: »

Exactly !!!
  • IdacyderIdacyder Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Politiks - Yes, insulting to the cast and also the regular viewers - do the scriptwriters take the viewers for fools thinking they won`t notice all the implausibilities? It just seems as if the soaps are in a competition to see who can be the most shocking and IMO its ruining them. Life isn`t shock horror every minute. I like Corrie for its humour, for the subtle idiocyncracies of human behaviour - not psychopathic maniacs getting away with murder in every other house.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I always used to go :rolleyes: when someone said they would turn off a show because of one character but Tracy has done this to me and I turned Corrie off at 19.45 tonight because of her and don't have the urge to turn back in anytime soon.

I completely agree and yes I did the same as you. I suppose it isn't just what Tracy says and does, it's just that the other characters let her get away with it. The personalities of Ken and Deirdre would surely say something other than 'Tracy!' Anyway, whatever will happen I won't know because I won't be watching again for a while. After all it's entertainment and 'Tracy' spoils that entertaining half an hour for me. Such a shame because I loved, loved, loved the live episode and was looking forward to see how the storylines develop, but I really can't bear to watch it now.
    Forum Member
    She's bringing it down for me. She overtook the whole xmas day episode and it grated on me. Kate Ford is a very weak actress, it was a below par episode. Shame, as Corrie has been must see TV for weeks.

I hadn't watched Corrie regularly for some years, but the recent weeks had me hooked again and I was so enjoying it. But yes I agree that the xmas day episode was spoiled. I feel it wasn't just below par, but also made no sense and many of the characters reacted completely out of character when it came to Tracy's return. Such a shame.
    Forum Member
    When Leanne pointed out that Peter nearly died in the crash, Tracy said 'so?'.

Who would ever behave like that?! Poorly thought out by the writers.

I think the writing and the acting was poor, and coming on top of the writing and acting being so brilliant of late, it contrasted dramatically. Such a shame for the other actors to have their talents overshadowed and having to act and speak lines that seemed (in my opinion) completely out of character for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Chapmania wrote: »
    Personally, I put the blame firmly at the feet of the script writers.
    They have ensured that the majority of Tracy's lines are 'home runs' You find more standard dialouge in a sit-com. I really hope this is a temporary situation and that Tracy will be given lines reflecting a somewhat regular human being rather soon.

I've actually been noticing this sort of script dialogue becoming more and more prominent in EastEnders. Could it be that the current crop of writers involved in Soap Opera just don't have a clue on how conversation works?

I blame Facebook.

:D

Thinking along the same lines here, has anyone else noticed the amount of snivelling the soap actors are doing at the moment? In all of them....never an episode passes without someone crying those crocodile "I mustn't smear my make-up" dry tears, accompanied by the croaky, shaky voice, sniffing and nose blowing? Why can't they just *act* the part instead of taking the easy way out? :mad: :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Sarn wrote: »
    More than her being unbelievable, I feel Diedre and Ken the way they are acting as her parents are more unbelievable. THEY DO ABSOLUTELY SWEET F**K ALL :mad: What parent would do that?

Yes, I so agree with you. It isn't for me about bad acting or not liking a particular character or storyline, it's that with the arrival of Tracy the writing is so poor and seems to have been written by someone who has no clue about the other character's personalities. Hence to me the programme is unreal. The Ken and Deirdre characters that I have watched on and off for decades would surely not have allowed their grandchild to have a glass of wine (or whatever it was) thrown over her...it was unreal, it jarred. I just thought 'this isn't right' and after several more incidents like that I switched off.
  • NPPNPP Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone needs to smack Deirdre. She is SO stupid!
  • EastiesRules!EastiesRules! Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Why did they bring her back? :eek:
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the writing and the acting was poor, and coming on top of the writing and acting being so brilliant of late, it contrasted dramatically. Such a shame for the other actors to have their talents overshadowed and having to act and speak lines that seemed (in my opinion) completely out of character for them.
    Absolutely - whilst not all the blame can be laid at Kate Ford's poor acting, because the writing for her has also been bad, a better actress could possibly have made some of the lines & story believable or given it some depth.

I love to have a character to hate (David Platt in his prime for example) - but Tracy is ruined by the quite bad acting. The whole Christmas story line hung on her and neither she, nor the writing, nor the storyline itself were good enough for a Christmas Day episode. They should have saved the Kevin as Jack's father reveal for Christmas Day - injected some drama into it using actors who can do a decent job with what they are given .
  • Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People obviously tuned in to watch Tracy's return. A big 'kerching' for ITV.

Sorry about the grammar, but at least it gave you a valid argument to win.

I didn't tune in to watch her return. I tuned in because I watch Corrie, simple.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    A good actress can overcome bad writing, so while it has been admittedly poor, it's not an excuse.
  • GothamGotham Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes:

Kate Ford everyone. :p

Anyway, when she made her return and she was going on about her "great comeback", it was just such cheese. I hope Becky batters her haha.

Speaking of Becky, thought she was smoking hot over the last week. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last nite's episodes just made me laugh (not in a good way), she's like a panto villian :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive never liked her character and the only reason I put up with watching her was Charlie Stubbs which made it bearable but this recent appearance is ridiculous and I just started watching it again!
  • wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the stats Rita, very interesting. Not sure what can be gleaned from them.

Absolutely nothing. it shows who appeared most in 2005 and 2006 which is irrelevant.
    leecamowol wrote: »
    Tracy Barlow is ruining Corrie for EVERYONE I know that watches it. So the sooner she goes the higher the audience figures shall be ...

Based on the 6-12 people you've asked?