What is the best way to compress files?

13»

Comments

• Options
    wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    According to this Amazon review here they are infact only 7.96gb

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002Z2W4KU

but then i had a look around Google and it is infact the computer that makes the error and the discs are not really 7.96gb. I will try that thing with Nero.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    If that still doesn't work check for a firmware update for your DVD drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nero Info says there is 8,152MB available capacity.
    Book Type: DVD+R DL.

I'm not sure about firmware for my drive. I tried something like that years ago and it never worked out too well. I don't really know what i'm doing.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    That can be a bit costly though can't it?

I did put the DVD in and under My Computer it says 7.96gb free so i guess you don't really get 8.5gb of data.

Oh you do, it depends whether you use the base 10 or base 2 definition of megs. 1mb = 1024 or 1000:P That is where the discrepancy lies. Anyways converting to mpeg2 for dvd playback will reduce the amount of stuff you can fit on a disc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'll need to learn all that. All the stuff i am backing up is mostly just avi files. Their VHS rips and not the greatest of quality. All i've been really using is Winavi to convert videos and i do have DVDFab but i think their quite similar programs.

Later tonight if i decided to start back some of these videos up onto disc, just to try it and see how i get on. Do you think i should put them in folders or just create a data DVD in Nero and just add the files one by one?
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could add a 2TB internal drive as said for <£70 and or an external for not much more. Storage is so cheap now why mess with compressing files.

Back in ye olde days storage was about £1 per megabyte so your 2TB drive would (if available) have cost me over £2000 ! My first CD writer (x2 speed) trade price £250 and blanks were £10 each.