Will MAdonna go to no 1 with Living FOr Love this week?

Comments

• madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Did you sense that Madonna wasn't really in the "moment" when her act began? She seemed to be going through the motions, as if she didn't want to be there. The whole Brits ceremony was utter crap and if the atmosphere is flat then it affects those who are performing. I actually had a terrible reaction when I saw her fall. I was like "Oh My God, is she OK. Please Madonna, get up!!" My heart skipped a bit. I hope she doesn't do anything like that again. I really think she needs to accept that she's 56 and just reassess what her capabilities are now. Don't stop, NEVER STOP, but just do what is physically possible. She doesn't need to prove herself to anyone anymore.

What has her age got to do with it, it was a wardrobe malfunction, the Cape was tied to tight and she got pulled off stage. Hardly think she needs to reassess her capabilities. If anything I think it showed how professional and fit she truly is. She immediatly got back up and carried on proving not only can she sing live but she can also move around a stage and put on a performance. Something the show had lacked all evening and something the majority of young artists aren't capable of.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madiain28 wrote: »
    What has her age got to do with it, it was a wardrobe malfunction, the Cape was tied to tight and she got pulled off stage. Hardly think she needs to reassess her capabilities. If anything I think it showed how professional and fit she truly is. She immediatly got back up and carried on proving not only can she sing live but she can also move around a stage and put on a performance. Something the show had lacked all evening and something the majority of young artists aren't capable of.

OK! I concede. You are right! Age has nothing to do with it. And I agree, the young artists were stiff and lifeless on stage. The only other act to put a bit of oomph into their performance was that group that won erm, what was their name? The heavy metal rockers! If Madonna hadn't fallen, her act would have been the highlight for all the RIGHT reasons.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all publicity is good publicity and in the end she will be fine and she has the best doctors and people around her in case she hurt herself

A wardrobe malfunction can be annoying but when it will mean you being dragged off the stage..... it was quite shocking. But it was funny at the same time

She could very well hit number 1 now
    I don't think she will be number 1 but all the press is pretty much positive and focuses on how she got up and continued like nothing had even happened. So its worked in her favour. Haters are having a field day but they would have done that regardless.
  • IsThisHappinessIsThisHappiness Posts: 7,580
    Forum Member
    The way she landed was rather safe. She fell on her ass. She could of easily had smacked her head. Her ass broke her fall.

I don't think she landed on her ass though. She fell, kinda turned round in the air, and landed on her hip.
  • AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cloudy2 wrote: »
    Your first sentence is correct. Well done.

You then said "it must be shi* if you plan complaining about things you haven't seen yet". At no point have i posted I will complain about something I have not seen.

Again read before quoting me.

Not in those exact words. I wasn't actually quoting you in the first place, but more responding to the implication of what you said. I was making a joke about you saying you'd complain if you saw it, when you hadn't actually seen it. I didn't mean that you were definitely going to complain, which is why I said "something you haven't seen YET".

Besides, it was tongue-in-cheek, dont be so serious and lighten up.
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fall was nasty. She's such a pro to have continued and finished the routine. No miming either mind you. I wonder what it could have been without the fall. She was clearly shaken and possibly in pain.

What I did notice is that she did try to change things up a bit so I disagree with some of you that said that its just the same as the Grammy performance. She clearly wanted to put more choreography into this one and a lot more dancing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a great song, one of her most catchy tracks in a long time. I think it deserves to be number one but I can't see it happening. People seem to be really into just hating the woman at the moment.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I really think she needs to accept that she's 56 and just reassess what her capabilities are now. Don't stop, NEVER STOP, but just do what is physically possible. She doesn't need to prove herself to anyone anymore.

So what you are saying is that by the age of 56 you are too old to stand still while having your cape removed??????????
    :o
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,596
    Forum Member
    The thing that amazes me about Madonna fans is how they all made such a massive deal over Radio 1 saying she wasn't relevant enough to be considered for their playlist.

...but Radio 1 do not dictate the charts. Sure they influence the charts but they can't control what the public buys.

So here's a thought. Madonna would need to sell at least 150k of Living For Love between now and Saturday night to have a chance of being #1 on Sunday. The fact the song has already been overtaken by Ellie Goulding again suggests Madonna definitely won't be #1 on Sunday.

Yet look at these sales totals.

01.03.98 Madonna Frozen 197,000
    05.03.00 Madonna American Pie 139,000
    27.08.00 Madonna Music 115,000

If that many Madonna fans bought those amounts of CD singles, why are those people not spending 99p on iTunes? It's a lot cheaper to buy your fave songs now compared to the £3.99 cd singles of 1998-2000.

Even selling 115k this week would probably just be enough to get Madonna to #1.

So it's catch 22 - Madonna fans moan about Radio 1 not playing the song, but then they're the same people who aren't buying the single when it's available to download on iTunes.

Radio 1 must be so smug right about now.
  • PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    The thing that amazes me about Madonna fans is how they all made such a massive deal over Radio 1 saying she wasn't relevant enough to be considered for their playlist.

...but Radio 1 do not dictate the charts. Sure they influence the charts but they can't control what the public buys.

So here's a thought. Madonna would need to sell at least 150k of Living For Love between now and Saturday night to have a chance of being #1 on Sunday. The fact the song has already been overtaken by Ellie Goulding again suggests Madonna definitely won't be #1 on Sunday.

If that many Madonna fans bought those amounts of CD singles, why are those people not spending 99p on iTunes? It's a lot cheaper to buy your fave songs now compared to the £3.99 cd singles of 1998-2000.

So it's catch 22 - Madonna fans moan about Radio 1 not playing the song, but then they're the same people who aren't buying the single when it's available to download on iTunes.

They would have no right too. Do you know why? I'll tell you. The song WAS LEAKED in Decemeber. SOOO many people in the UK already have it. The fact that it is sitting pretty at no 2 is a MASSIVE achievement in itself.

How many people on these very boards said, oh this will flop...she's irrelevant etc etc...Yet here she is at 56..about to score ANOTHER top 5 hit.

I'm not even a fan of the song..I think there are MUCH better choices on her album...But even an average Madonna song is making waves.

Please..come back to us in 30 years and let's see if Taylor Swift and Rhianna are still knocking out top 5 hits.........
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »

Don't know if they'll quite be smug, they say she's irrelevant yet the entire awards show last night, featuring many of Radio 1's favourite artists, was gearing up throughout for Madonna's return.

Then we had the awards, some good performances, and Madonna managed to win all the attention with that fall, she's been looping on TV all day and even Radio 1 are now talking about her. Artists fall all the time during performances, but it's not always discussed, even with footage going viral. They claim she's totally irrelevant, but this has kinda shown she's not.
  • PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is radio 1 DO dictate the charts though to a certain extent...that's the irony. If You are playlisted on R1 , you are pretty much guaranteed a hit record.....It sucks, but it is what it is.

However I love it when a song they refuse to play like Robbies Candy or M's L4L becomes a hit without them.

The real proof in the pudding will be when Madonna releases Ghosttown as her 2nd single. The oh we play it if it's good thing won't wash this time. THAT is probably her best track in ten years.

IF they don't play that, then you know all this talk about song quality is bullshit.
  • MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,230
    Forum Member
    To be fair I think 99% of artists would get back up and carry on, the adrenaline running through your body when you are performing must be incredible, bet she didn't even feel any pain till later on
  • LMLM Posts: 63,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweetums wrote: »
    It's a great song, one of her most catchy tracks in a long time. I think it deserves to be number one but I can't see it happening. People seem to be really into just hating the woman at the moment.

I have come across no hate for Madonna. If people hated her, why was there outrage over the Radio 1 fisaco. If people hated her, why were that a lot of hype and press over her grammy and Brit performances. No one hates her. Well actually some people in the world likely do. But in general, no one is "hating the woman" at the moment.
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know if they'll quite be smug, they say she's irrelevant yet the entire awards show last night, featuring many of Radio 1's favourite artists, was gearing up throughout for Madonna's return.

Then we had the awards, some good performances, and Madonna managed to win all the attention with that fall, she's been looping on TV all day and even Radio 1 are now talking about her. Artists fall all the time during performances, but it's not always discussed, even with footage going viral. They claim she's totally irrelevant, but this has kinda shown she's not.

But that’s it. People are talking about the fact that she ended up flat on her back. People are talking about her for the wrong reasons. Props to her for getting up and carrying on (as if she would have done anything else), but it's not like the actual performance is being talked about.

You’re right, many singers have fallen over on the stage without it becoming headline news, but Madonna’s fall occurred on live television. The media always focus on The Brit Awards the day after the ceremony so of course Madonna’s mishap will be given a lot of attention. It’s not like a fan filmed her falling over on stage on tour. I think every performer has done that at some point. Madonna's done it several times.

Living for Love could enter the UK top 10 this weekend, but the song has flopped big time in the majority of other countries. It failed to chart on the US Hot 100 last week and this week. Neither the Grammy performance nor the music video has enticed the casual listener into buying the song. Even Annie Lennox debuted on the Hot 100 last week due to her Grammy performance, and she hasn't been relevant on the singles chart for decades. Madonna better hope radio play increases big time, but I doubt it will. At least she can still top the (irrelevant) Dance Club Songs chart. It's good that she's in the UK promoting the song and the album. MDNA obviously taught her a thing or two. She needs to put the effort in if she wants a decent size hit.
  • Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have come across no hate for Madonna. If people hated her, why was there outrage over the Radio 1 fisaco. If people hated her, why were that a lot of hype and press over her grammy and Brit performances. No one hates her. Well actually some people in the world likely do. But in general, no one is "hating the woman" at the moment.

Actually she's has been getting a lot of support after last night, even many of her detractors are full of respect for her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually she's has been getting a lot of support after last night, even many of her detractors are full of respect for her.

Indeed and so she should
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quixotic wrote: »
    But that’s it. People are talking about the fact that she ended up flat on her back. People are talking about her for the wrong reasons. Props to her for getting up and carrying on (as if she would have done anything else), but it's not like the actual performance is being talked about.

You’re right, many singers have fallen over on the stage without it becoming headline news, but Madonna’s fall occurred on live television. The media always focus on The Brit Awards the day after the ceremony so of course Madonna’s mishap will be given a lot of attention. It’s not like a fan filmed her falling over on stage on tour. I think every performer has done that at some point. Madonna's done it several times.

Living for Love could enter the UK top 10 this weekend, but the song has flopped big time in the majority of other countries. It failed to chart on the US Hot 100 last week and this week. Neither the Grammy performance nor the music video has enticed the casual listener into buying the song. Even Annie Lennox debuted on the Hot 100 last week due to her Grammy performance, and she hasn't been relevant on the singles chart for decades. Madonna better hope radio play increases big time, but I doubt it will. At least she can still top the (irrelevant) Dance Club Songs chart. It's good that she's in the UK promoting the song and the album. MDNA obviously taught her a thing or two. She needs to put the effort in if she wants a decent size hit.

About the Hot 100, Madonna was the biggest-selling singles artist of the 2000s in the US yet after Music she didn't get another number one. Limited airplay stopped Hung Up and 4 Minutes getting to the top, which means that if the US had a sales-based chart only she would have had multiple number ones. The US was the only major music market where Hung Up didn't top the charts, funny that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quixotic wrote: »

Well I don't know what you are reading but every news report on the incident is praising her for getting up and carrying on despite being visibly shaken. This also seems to be the general feeling on Twitter too.

The only people gloating about the whole thing are those who hate Madonna anyway and go to great lengths just to discredit her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About the Hot 100, Madonna was the biggest-selling singles artist of the 2000s in the US yet after Music she didn't get another number one. Limited airplay stopped Hung Up and 4 Minutes getting to the top, which means that if the US had a sales-based chart only she would have had multiple number ones. The US was the only major music market where Hung Up didn't top the charts, funny that.

I wouldn't waste your time posting the genuine facts. Even after Rebel Heart has topped the world charts in two weeks these people will be saying its a flop because it hasn't pulled in True Blue numbers! they are obsessed with Madonna's sales more than her actual fans are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But what you also need to remember is that US have been very funny with Madonna since the American Life era, which is why her singles have not been as a hugely successful over there. Radio snubbed her. They didn't want to play her. Radio Airplay is very key to peak positions in the US.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what you also need to remember is that US have been very funny with Madonna since the American Life era, which is why her singles have not been as a hugely successful over there. Radio snubbed her. They didn't want to play her. Radio Airplay is very key to peak positions in the US.

I think it's a shitty chart system. I think it should be 100% sales-based, but there you go.

The American public were clearly buying her singles during the 2000s, Hung Up and 4 Minutes were massive sellers over there.
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting as if you look at sales of singles in the U.S. Madonna pretty well would have hit the top spot with most her single releases. She also has 44 No1's in the club play charts. The way the American charts work has always been dodgy as it's more to do with sucking up and playing the game something Madonna hasn't been known to do in the U.S. Her move across to the U.K. and the American Life album was seen as a snub and taken very much as an anti American jibe although IMO it was completely taken out of context.
    I am a huge fan but TBH I don't expect her to be having No1 hits or topping the charts worldwide. She will always have an incredible demand for tours as do U2, Rolling Stones, etc. the fact she has remained so popular and continued to appeal to the young market for so long was incredible. No other artist has had the success over a sustained period of time. It was inevitable at some point that younger people generally would not continue to follow an artist in their 50's as many of them will have grandparents younger than Madonna so it does make it harder for them to relate to or have a connection with. The fact that Madonna does still have a market within the younger sector ok, it might no longer be a huge influence or massive following within the younger age group shows that if anything she still has relevance and a place in modern pop music.
    Yes I think L4L will reach top 10 might even be a Top 5 hit. Her album I think will do better than MDNA but overall she isn't going to have sales anywhere near the True Blue days as very few artists do nowadays. The singles market is MP3/streaming which I know doesn't interest me in the slightest as I want to purchase a product and have something to own. As I can imagine most people still do in the 35+ market. When I was younger I would purchase every format of the track I could but the age I'm at now I must admit it doesn't really interest me as your priorities change in life.
    The fact Madonna can be the headline act at the Grammy's, The Brit's and still have sell out work Tours is a testament to her success. Most artists never sell out or get to headline a Stadium Tour Madonna along with a handful of iconic artists continue to do so because of there impact not only in the world of music but because they continue to appeal to generations of people.
    I just admit I enjoy Adele, Ed, George Ezra, Sam etc, etc, but they are all very safe playing middle of the road music to appeal to mass market. But they have nothing to say or any message to put across apart from the Madonna incident the Brits was Dull Boring and uninspiring. Thankfully Madonna at least gave the media some headlines otherwise there would have been nothing to report.
    Thirty years later Madonna still manages to dominate Headlines and Create a talking point at least she has something to say or a message to put across that people still sit up and take notice wether it's a positive or negative reaction in the media she still has that impact. I really can't think of any new artists today that are able to do that.
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In todays midweeks Madonna is no 39
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so bad for a day I guess! so all of those couldn't have been the instant grats then she will miss out on the top 10 I think. Wasn't wise releasing yesterday instead of Monday.

Does the Brit Award performance class as a stream under the chart rules? if so she might zoom by tomorrows update. I'm not sure how it works.