Options

International Cricket 2015

Comments

• Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    roger_50 wrote: »
    This partnership is killing Australia right now. 76 runs at nearly 5 an over and England are suddenly 270 runs ahead and we're halfway through day 3.

the scoring rate would be the most worrying thing for the aussies imo

they just haven't been able to build any sustained pressure even when wickets have gone down

game slipping away from australia , they desperately need a couple of quick wickets after tea
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might be a tad worried if I had tickets for Sunday. Australia starting to look disheartened
  • Options
    Forum Member
    37 overs left in this last session

could be 400+ ahead at the close
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know some people called me presumptuous early, but I'm quite confident I've called this one correctly.

I knew overnight Australia were in big trouble, bookies weren't having it, still giving long odds for an England win, 'draw no bet' on paddypower was 1.8 England and 2.0 Australia so I decided to go big on that.

I just couldn't believe Australia were 1/7 to retain the Ashes, crazy odds. Problem of course now is that England will have expectations after this will be sky high and Australia aren't as bad as they were in 2011, so there's still a long way to go in this series if indeed England do go on to win this (which they should).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    India recovered to 255/6 with Rayudu making 124*

Should be a winning total........

Only just

India win by 4 runs despite 104* from Chigumbura
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bell does just enough to keep himself in the side for at least the next few games
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well at least one thing this test does is stop all the clamour for Pietersen, I thought a few months back this series would have been totally dominated by that, undermining England.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    bell does just enough to keep himself in the side for at least the next few games

As he should be, played 4 poor Tests, no idea why he and Broad get called for their head constantly when they're consistent performers and not old.

Anyway with our dashers coming in we'll either crumble in an heap or smash it about that is the good thing about this side they move it on.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regardless of result i would keep same XI for two reasons

1 they've played well as a team and all contributed in some way

2 if you did drop anybody who would you replace them with who is proven better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As he should be, played 4 poor Tests, no idea why he and Broad get called for their head constantly when they're consistent performers and not old.

Anyway with our dashers coming in we'll either crumble in an heap or smash it about that is the good thing about this side they move it on.

hes had more than 4 poor tests imo

since the beginning of 2014 he is averaging under 30 , thats quite a long period for that sort of return
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moenn Ali's place looks secure now as well, everybody was screaming for him to be dropped a month ago, he's probably earned his place for the rest of the series too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Regardless of result i would keep same XI for two reasons

1 they've played well as a team and all contributed in some way

2 if you did drop anybody who would you replace them with who is proven better

if that was the case you would never drop anyone as how can they prove they are better if not given the opportunity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hes had more than 4 poor tests imo

since the beginning of 2014 he is averaging under 30 , thats quite a long period for that sort of return

Yes and how did he do in 2013 against these opponents?

The 4 bad tests clearly skew those figures.
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    davethecue wrote: »
    Only just

India win by 4 runs despite 104* from Chigumbura

It sounds like a good match. I wonder who was captaining India? Maybe Rahane??

I'm flicking between tennis and cricket and Virat Kohli and Sachin are in the Royal Box at Wimbledon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if that was the case you would never drop anyone as how can they prove they are better if not given the opportunity

I think it's about not dropping people when they have perfectly fine Test records, of course that comes to an end sometimes, but not when your dominating a Test when you were underdogs coming into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes and how did he do in 2013 against these opponents?

The 4 bad tests clearly skew those figures.

i dont really care how someone played 2 years ago tbh when considering their place now

so you are quite happy for his odd good score to justify his place but 4 bad tests shouldn't mean its questioned ?

how long exactly does someone need to be averaging under 30 before their place should be questioned ?

3 years ?

5 years ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that has become apparent again is the frailty of the Australian bowlers

fantastic batch to choose from but they always seem to be injured whereas , apart from Plunkett, ours always seem to be available
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it's about not dropping people when they have perfectly fine Test records, of course that comes to an end sometimes, but not when your dominating a Test when you were underdogs coming into it.

and by following that sort of philosophy the team never improves as you continue to select people who are playing "ok" and whilst maybe not bad enough to be be dropped certainly not good enough to make us better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and by following that sort of philosophy the team never improves as you continue to select people who are playing "ok" and whilst maybe not bad enough to be be dropped certainly not good enough to make us better

I don't think 4 bad Tests is enough to get rid, no, and that skews his figures. He did well against India, scored a ton against the Windies, much better than okay, he's not been awful for the whole of those 18 months.

Todays innings was vital, we were 20-2 and teetering, he deserves praise for it not a sideswipe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think 4 bad Tests is enough to get rid, no, and that skews his figures. He did well against India, scored a ton against the Windies, much better than okay, he's not been awful for the whole of those 18 months.

Todays innings was vital, we were 20-2 and teetering, he deserves praise for it not a sideswipe.

and if you read my comment that you seemingly objected to i said he did enough today to keep his place in the side

what exactly was wrong with that comment ?

you are actually making my point for me here , he does play the odd good innings but despite that he is still averaging under 30 for the period which i would maintain is not good enough for an england batsman
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and if you read my comment that you seemingly objected to i said he did enough today to keep his place in the side

what exactly was wrong with that comment ?

you are actually making my point for me here , he does play the odd good innings but despite that he is still averaging under 30 for the period which i would maintain is not good enough for an england batsman

Fair enough, I may have misread it as snark, I apologize:)

Anyway Root out, still uneven bounce, which I don't think England will mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England will looking to set a minimum of 450, so still another 100 runs shy or so. No chance of the Aussies being put in tonight.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Buttler has come in twice against a flagging attack and not taken advantage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    england throwing it away a bit here , with more than 2 days left i would really like us to get another 40-50 runs

370 should be enough but it gives australia a chance we really shouldn't be giving them
  • Options
    IceWarriorIceWarrior Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Only rain can prevent England going 1-0 up. 367 runs ahead, Australia will get nowhere near that.