Only 1.5% gay!

Comments

• DavidCHDavidCH Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I agree with what you say, except where you say "deciding oneself a homosexual" - I am homosexual and I didn't decide I was, I discovered it. It is hard to describe the realisation in a meaningful way really.. No gay person I know has suddenly "decided" they were gay.

I realised I was a raving hetero around the age of 7. I guess my underlying chances of choosing one way or the other was stacked that way. Nothing in my life, although it quite violent and unloving, changed my raving status.
    I know others are unsure, the existence of bisexuals tell us that and in such cases the nurture might have played a role. OK for decided use 'chose'. I think it part of human nature to convince oneself that a choice was never available.
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd see more than 450,000 people packed into a small gay bar on Canal Street when Britney Spears comes on, so I'm a little bit suspicious of this figure.

I think it's important to note this:

All IHS statistics are considered experimental, or in a testing phase, as they have not yet been assessed by the UK Statistics Authority.

When you do one of these surveys where you ask a tiny proportion of people, then just multiply it to make it relative to the population figures, there's always going to be a massive chance of inaccuracy. It's like of like "90% of women agree" on an advert, when they only asked 35 people.

Don't be so cynical! 0.7-0.8% of the population answering a question (where of course not one single respondent will have dissimulated) is simply, incontrovertibly bound to give a true nationwide reflection on given topic. :D
    4444 wrote: »
    I don't remember being asked.

Me neither! So they need to amend it to at least 480,001.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,640
    Forum Member
    DavidCH wrote: »
    I realised I was a raving hetero around the age of 7. I guess my underlying chances of choosing one way or the other was stacked that way. Nothing in my life, although it quite violent and unloving, changed my raving status.
    I know others are unsure, the existence of bisexuals tell us that and in such cases the nurture might have played a role. OK for decided use 'chose'. I think it part of human nature to convince oneself that a choice was never available.

I don't think you 'choose' your sexuality either. As I say, I think it is more of a realisation than a choice or a decision.
    Yes, you can 'choose' to act upon the sexual urges or preferences you possess but you don't choose them being there to start with.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    Oh! I've just remembered that I am one of that 1.5%!!!!
    Forum Member
    I think I was surveyed about it... Oooh hang on, no the lady was asking me if I had a Boots Advantage Card. Sorry. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,807
    Forum Member
    marjangles wrote: »
    Oh! I've just remembered that I am one of that 1.5%!!!!

Me too, perhaps we should start an organistion just for us....
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    tribade wrote: »
    Me too, perhaps we should start an organistion just for us....

We can call ourselves the 1.5ers and have a secret handshake and everything
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've personally only known 2 gay people in my whole life, so that figure might be about right for most people.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I thought this was going to be one of those "How gay are you?" tests.
    Forum Member
    The problem with any kind of survey is that it is only as reliable as the amount of people that were asked and the amount of people who answered truthfully.

Unless you surveyed every single person in the country, and every single person responded and responded totally truthfully you'll never have a properly accurate result.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These statistics must be rubbish, IMO. Three of my closest friends are gay males; all met through work. One, I met in Manchester, one in London and one in Zürich - they have no connection to each other and I am a hetero female who doesn´t frequent the gay scene at all. Now, I don´t consider that I have thirty (which would make it 10%) what I would call close friends, so these figures just have to be skewed.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, anyone who's straight will say they're straight so that "didn't know" is clearly some form of non-straight, meaning it's really 5%.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine the true amount of gays in this country is about 5%. All these statistics saying 1.5% or 10% are a load of rubbish.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "London had the highest percentage of those polled who identified as gay"

I guess they didn't do any polling in Brighton, then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've personally only known 2 gay people in my whole life, so that figure might be about right for most people.

And then of course there'd be the several other blokes who'd been eyeing up your arse but never elected to make the prospect known :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    I wonder what percentage of the population make stuff up for surveys? :D
    In a recent survey 50% of people said they lied in surveys. The other 50% denied it.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    To be fair, anyone who's straight will say they're straight so that "didn't know" is clearly some form of non-straight, meaning it's really 5%.

That's exactly what I thought Those 3% are the ones who can't or won't face it, but can't lie:p Anyway, cracking thread, I see a certain friend has crossed the mods once too often;)
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds pretty accurate to me. The LGBT "community" often tries to claim it's 5-10% - if only! ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    That sounds pretty accurate to me. The LGBT "community" often tries to claim it's 5-10% - if only! ;)

Branch out :)
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I agree with what you say, except where you say "deciding oneself a homosexual" - I am homosexual and I didn't decide I was, I discovered it. It is hard to describe the realisation in a meaningful way really.. No gay person I know has suddenly "decided" they were gay.

Yes incorrect choice of words I agree , it reminds me of that old joke

Mummy made me a homosexual
    Oh if I give her the wool will she make me one too

I would say instead of "deciding" , "coming to terms with" would mabe be a better phrase.

Apart from that this survey doesnt sound accurate to me, and as they say it was done on the doorstep face to face and over the phone, now how many people lied through embarrassment at discussing their sexuality with a stranger when they were not open about it yet themselves, and how many lied as someone else was present and they did not want to say.
    Forum Member
    AcerBen wrote: »

That may be true if T stands for transvestite, as in 'any geezer who's dragged up for a fancy dress party, or to go and watch Rocky Horror'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Apart from that this survey doesnt sound accurate to me, and as they say it was done on the doorstep face to face and over the phone, now how many people lied through embarrassment at discussing their sexuality with a stranger when they were not open about it yet themselves, and how many lied as someone else was present and they did not want to say.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA... Has there ever been in the entire history of man a more discretitable survey ROFLMFAO x1000
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    "London had the highest percentage of those polled who identified as gay"

I guess they didn't do any polling in Brighton, then.

Or Manchester! Seriously, gay men have taken over this city! I can't go shopping for groceries without seeing obvious gay couples all over the place. But, it's pretty evident that London, Manchester and Brighton are the "gay capitals".

Furthermore "London has the highest percentage" is probably going to be the case for every survey, since London has the most people. I wonder if they mean the highest relative percentage, or just the highest overall percentage.
    Forum Member
    RussellIan wrote: »
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA... Has there ever been in the entire history of man a more discretidable survey ROFLMFAO x1000

Probably not, no, but it's made a good talking point:D Aside from academic interest, why the hell do we need to know anyway? Does it make a difference to the world how many people are gay? What others get up to in the bedroom is not at the forefront of my mind when I meet them, unless they are hot, of course;) I might be disappointed to find that they are gay, then, but I'll get over it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MAW wrote: »
    Probably not, no, but it's made a good talking point:D Aside from academic interest, why the hell do we need to know anyway? Does it make a difference to the world how many people are gay? What others get up to in the bedroom is not at the forefront of my mind when I meet them, unless they are hot, of course;) I might be disappointed to find that they are gay, then, but I'll get over it.

Oh it does to the kind of person who likes to think of it as a 'choice' or disease, I'm sure! How else would they gauge what commensurate level of hatred they need to exercise :)