Options

Decent Pillows

dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Gan anyone recommend some decent pillows, dont wanna spend too much but then again i dont want something crap, budget wise no more than £25.

Comments

• Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a double pack of Silentnight supersoft pillows at Sainsburys the other week for £10 - for the money, they are pretty good.
  • Options
    scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a memory foam one a few years ago, its sped like a block rather than a pillow. I think its great a wouldn't go back. It was Benson Beds own brand one I think and under £25.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got a double pack of Bedcrest a few months ago in Home Bargains, cant remember the price but less than £10 they are great I went back to get more and they were sold out.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    scott789s wrote: »
    I got a memory foam one a few years ago, its sped like a block rather than a pillow.

Is it made by a Jewish manufacturer?
  • Options
    caraxcarax Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazb wrote: »
    Gan anyone recommend some decent pillows, dont wanna spend too much but then again i dont want something crap, budget wise no more than £25.

£25 is pretty cheap...I think you'll be limited to synthetic with that kind of budget.

That said, pillows are a very personal thing and just because something is expensive doesn't mean it'll suit you. I have a £90 down pillow that's not that great. My mother similarly spent a fortune on good quality pillows over the years but only ever found ones she liked in hotel rooms. :D Then she borrowed a cheap one I'd bought in Matalan for probably change out of a tenner...and loved it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any good websites that review pillows I've checked Amazon and a few others.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best pillows I've ever had came from Lidl. When they do their "bedding week" they have them. They were no expensive and they are so comfy.
  • Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent years trying to find the ultimate pillow - and spent a lot of money to find they all deflated horribly after a few months.

Finally bought a memory slab for the ridiculous amount of £50. And three years on - it is still marvellous I always used to wake up with neck ache. This is a hard slab and yet it supports my head and neck wonderfully.
  • Options
    muchlymuchly Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    I spent years trying to find the ultimate pillow - and spent a lot of money to find they all deflated horribly after a few months.

Finally bought a memory slab for the ridiculous amount of £50. And three years on - it is still marvellous I always used to wake up with neck ache. This is a hard slab and yet it supports my head and neck wonderfully.

I think that £50 is cheap for something that you use every day and has lasted for three years. People don't think twice about spending the same on a night out, yet refuse to on something that they'll get much more use out of.

Good on you for spending wisely!
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    After loads of research I took a deep breath and ordered a pair of Linens Limited Duck feather pillows from Amazon. When they were delivered, they had given me a free upgrade to a pair of Goose feather and down ones instead. Initially I was disappointed that all the research had come to nothing, but I decided to try them anyway.

They were very light, plumped up impressively and are soft and comfy, so I kept them. Had 'em a month now and so far so good. One of the reviews said they go very flat after a few months, so will have to wait and see. If you're interested the ASIN is B001KYNNYK and they cost £14.95.

If you buy feather or down pillows I can recommend a pair of Linens Limited Polycotton Percale Quilted Zipped Pillow Protectors, ASIN B00233A1A6 £6.95. Linens delivery charge is £1.95 regardless of how much stuff you buy. I really must get round to writing a review of the protectors, which will be another 5 star I reckon, although I'll wait a while with the pillows, and see if they do go flat!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    I get mine from Dunelm Mill. They have a wide selection of foam and feather pillows at decent prices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    I've had spondylosis for a good few years now and used to wake up with bad headaches and neck pain all the time until I treated myself to a V-shaped pillow - it's awesome. I tuck my shoulder into the corner of the V and it supports my back and front so I don't end up moving around too much. I do still get the headaches but not nearly as often - it's usually after a day of more activity than normal.

I realise this isn't exactly helping you with a review of a maker (I think I got it from Aldi a couple of years ago) but I just wanted to give a plug to V-shaped pillows because I think they're fantastic. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is harding choosing the right pillow i have to say. Majority of the time i am a slide sleeper and from what ive gathered that seems to support down pillows and to be firm. Yes ive heard V pillows are also great for when you read in bed to.
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look for Silent Night Goose Feather washable pillows being sold by Groupon for a good deal - bought some myself!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive checked on the site pillowadvisor and one that has caught my eye was this one http://www.pillowadvisor.co.uk/review/perfect-balance-pillow-fine-bedding-company/.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're a side sleeper, oriental pillows are fantastic. I bought similar to these in tk maxx (pair for £20) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/cr/B0001PY4BU/ref=mw_dp_cr
  • Options
    bananasplitbananasplit Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have spent a ridiculous amount of money over the years on pillows!

finally, I have found MY perfect combo - memory foam bottom pillow, feather pillow on the top

bought the memory foam ones, but just could not get comfy on them - was like sleeping on kerb stones!! couldn't and wouldn't just bin em cos they cost too much, so added feathers to the top - works well for me.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best pillows I've had are the ones I've currently got. Were pretty pricey (£40-50 quid each) but have had them over 2 years now and still lovely! They are silk filled ones. They are ones they use in the posh hotels and still have their shape and are super comfy.

Cos they were so pricey I only got 2 and thought would be cheaper to buy 2 "normal" pillows as a stand by. Have managed to spend at least the same amount again on cheap pillows because they never seem to last and lose their shape super quick! (even the ones that are meant to last a long time)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    Best pillows I've had are the ones I've currently got. Were pretty pricey (£40-50 quid each) but have had them over 2 years now and still lovely! They are silk filled ones. They are ones they use in the posh hotels and still have their shape and are super comfy.

Cos they were so pricey I only got 2 and thought would be cheaper to buy 2 "normal" pillows as a stand by. Have managed to spend at least the same amount again on cheap pillows because they never seem to last and lose their shape super quick! (even the ones that are meant to last a long time)

I have taken your advice, and just ordered two of these. I hope they are as good as you say. I am so fed up with rubbish pillows.
  • Options
    Hildas HairnetHildas Hairnet Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an issue with pillows too and cant seem to find one that suits me - I have bought loads.

The memory foam one, I woke up the following morning almost crippled - that went out.

I buy pillows about every 2-3 months it's ridiculous :cry: all of which are rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have an issue with pillows too and cant seem to find one that suits me - I have bought loads.

The memory foam one, I woke up the following morning almost crippled - that went out.

I buy pillows about every 2-3 months it's ridiculous :cry: all of which are rubbish.

I tried memory foam too. It was like sleeping on a brick. I am crossing everything that the silk ones will be the end of the search for me.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ms Steak wrote: »
    I have taken your advice, and just ordered two of these. I hope they are as good as you say. I am so fed up with rubbish pillows.

Haven't had a bad neck since I bought them and they have survived some serious bedtime workouts (I'm a fidget bunny and sleep either on my side, tum or back).

All I do is air them on the washing line in the summer on a nice sunny day and they are fine.

The cheaper ones I've bought before xmas have just about had it and they cost me £15 for two! :(

Pillows have been my arch enemy since I was little! Why are most of them so evil??! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    Haven't had a bad neck since I bought them and they have survived some serious bedtime workouts (I'm a fidget bunny and sleep either on my side, tum or back).

All I do is air them on the washing line in the summer on a nice sunny day and they are fine.

The cheaper ones I've bought before xmas have just about had it and they cost me £15 for two! :(

Pillows have been my arch enemy since I was little! Why are most of them so evil??! :(

No idea Badcat. I think it is a conspiracy to make us spend a fortune on rubbish. I end up using the rejects for my dogs to sleep on. They aren`t as fussy as me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Ms Steak wrote: »

Where did you order them from?
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get mine from Dunelm Mill. They have a wide selection of foam and feather pillows at decent prices.

Me too. Hotel style is great, I love their soft touch duvet too.