Options

Who used to broadcast NFL Europe/ NFL Europa in the UK?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
Forum Member
Having started being an NFL just after the end of NFL Europa I was always curious to know who broadcast the games, if anyone, in the UK?

Also did broadcasts in the UK continue until the end of the league or did they end when the Monarchs stopped playing?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was on Sky Sports.

Though I can't remember if they continued showing it in the final few years once the London/England Monarchs and Scottish Claymores dropped out and it became almost entirely Germany based.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 did the first seasons - it was 1991 first Monarchs season at Wembley and SKY did not take over exclusively until later seasons, by which time it gone kaput..
  • Options
    AR1983AR1983 Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Channel 4 did the first seasons - it was 1991 first Monarchs season at Wembley and SKY did not take over exclusively until later seasons, by which time it gone kaput..

Their was no World League in 1993 & 1994 and to my memory Sky picked it up fully in 1995 when Sky Sports 2 had launched and they would show all the London and Scottish Claymores away games at 6:00pm Saturday Evenings. Nick Halling and Mike Carlson were the commentators then before FOX got more involved in the announcing as the years went on. Sky's Live Coverage quickly dwindled away, I guess because three to four hours schedule time on a Saturday Night was a lot of air time to give up.

It was also in 1995 incidentally that Sky started showing 1 match a week of NFL Live on Sunday Evenings with coverage of the main 9pm slot match.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only watched it the one year (it may have been the 1995 re-launch, the final was at the old Amsterdam Olympic stadium) cos 2 Unlimited sang at half time :D