BBC Sports Personality Of The Year 2015

tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,535
Forum Member
edited 20/12/23 - 09:12 in Sport #1
BBC Sports Personality of the Year for 2015 confirmed to take place in Belfast on Sunday 20th December at The Odyssey Arena.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/32515120?ocid=socialflow_facebook

Comments

• Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that just about confirms that AP McCoy will get the Lifetime Award
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Main award, fancy England for RWC so might throw a few quid on George Ford
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Good choice
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does this mean he won't be nominated for the main prize?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

Well possibly, the nominations come from a collection of sports writers and i guess if they are told that he is getting the lifetime award they may leave him out. Alternatively if the strength of feeling is that he may win the main award they could leave the lifetime award for another year. Would seem odd though with it being in Belfast.
  • Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

Seems about right. He hasn't done anything spectacular this year to deserve the regular prize, not that it's stopped a nomination in previous years, but he'd definitely be worthy of a life-time achievement gong.

Other serious contenders for that one would be the recently retired Paula Radcliffe, and Jonny Wilkinson. But the location makes me think McCoy will get it. There shouldn't be a rush for the lifetime achievement award. Any time in the next few years would be appropriate.
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jem19876 wrote: »
    Seems about right. He hasn't done anything spectacular this year to deserve the regular prize, .

He`s just retired, after becoming champion jockey for the 20th year in a row.

That`s a pretty spectacular achievement in my book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    He`s just retired, after becoming champion jockey for the 20th year in a row.

That`s a pretty spectacular achievement in my book.

That's a spectacular achievement over the course of his career. What has he done this year that is so spectacular that he deserves a nomination for Sports Personality of the YEAR?
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The year Giggs won it was probably more from a career point of view than anything extra special in that particular year.

If it was a particularly slow year for great results then I'd fancy AP but as Hamilton will win the world title again almost certainly plus it's a World Athletics Championship year with KJH and Jess Ennis-Hill potentially contending as well as the Ashes and Rugby World Cup I can't see him doing better than top 3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Giving it to Giggs was a bit of a cop-out, but he'd never won the award before (unlike McCoy), and at least football is a sport played on the world stage.

Unless something amazing happens, Andy Murray will finish the year at the top British tennis player for something like the 10th year in a row, but unless he has some notable achievements, he won't deserve to win the main prize*.

* I realise Greg Ruseski won SPOTY with just a single slam final, which Murray has already achieved this year, but that's nothing unusual for him, and it's better to let someone else have a chance.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Psycho_Ned wrote: »
    The year Giggs won it was probably more from a career point of view than anything extra special in that particular year.

If it was a particularly slow year for great results then I'd fancy AP but as Hamilton will win the world title again almost certainly plus it's a World Athletics Championship year with KJH and Jess Ennis-Hill potentially contending as well as the Ashes and Rugby World Cup I can't see him doing better than top 3.

No hope he'll be in reckoning for Main Prize surely. Unless he won Grand National really.

As you say, although it's early yet, there is a lot of potential contenders. No clue about athletics but apart from that there are 3 majors in golf, two in tennis, a Rugby World Cup, F1 Championship all to be still contended- these sports may well all throw up a British winner in some shape or form this year
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bbc should mend a lot of bridges by announcing Sepp Blatter, "the big man" as overseas sports personality,

Richly deserved, a sporting colossus for over 20 years.
  • John_TraynorJohn_Traynor Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    The bbc should mend a lot of bridges by announcing Sepp Blatter, "the big man" as overseas sports personality,

Richly deserved, a sporting colossus for over 20 years.

Many of the BBC "reporters" wouldn't have a job if it weren't for the FIFA stories to talk about.
  • dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mens team should be among the favourites for the team award if they keep progressing in the Davis Cup
  • alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dtcdtcdtc wrote: »
    The mens team should be among the favourites for the team award if they keep progressing in the Davis Cup

especially as team award seems biased towards sports the BBC show
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Team of the year has to be The England Lionessess
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfamale wrote: »
    especially as team award seems biased towards sports the BBC show

I'm guessing you didn't look at the list of recent winners before making that statement ?

With the exception of Olympics and last year with the women's Rugby Union side it's been Sky sports - British Lions, England cricket (twice), St Helens RLFC, etc
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another team that may come into contention is the England Rugby Union team if all goes well.......
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,286
    Forum Member
    Chris Froome for main award if he wins the Tour De France?

Mind you some will argue he is from Kenya so should he count?!
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Chris Froome for main award if he wins the Tour De France?

Mind you some will argue he is from Kenya so should he count?!

And that whole blowing away the field in a sport riddled with drugs thing. Might as well give the overseas award to Gatlin if Froome gets the main award.
    Forum Member
    True - but Froome hasn't been found gulity with many people here thinking he very clean .
    Gatlin has been caught and banned twice.

Also Wiggins/Cavdendish have won the award before.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murray will probably win it it again if/when GB win the Davis cup, yes its a team 'award' but its practically him doing it on his own, it wouldn't surprise me if Ward didn't win another match.
  • alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing you didn't look at the list of recent winners before making that statement ?

With the exception of Olympics and last year with the women's Rugby Union side it's been Sky sports - British Lions, England cricket (twice), St Helens RLFC, etc

No i didnt. It was done from memory after reading about Lions winning the award (i think after their marginal win to an incredibly underwhelming Australia team) just when negotiations were up for 6-Nations rights. And now i have looked at the list there is still a large number of teams where Bbc have exclusive highlights agreements for that sport. Although saying that there's not many team sports and the list also is packed with metropolitan elite sports - rugby union, rowing, equestrian, cricket, golf, more rugby union. Even pre-national lottery funding the Olympics was mainly a participation sport of the middle & upper classes as it didnt pay a salary. So now im not so sure. (Although something didnt sit right about 2006 awards when both St Helens RLFC won team award and their coach won Coach of the Year when this sport is permanently ignored otherwise).

Are Team Sky british? Wiggo and Froome tour victories were an absolutely outstanding team effort
    Forum Member
    Very much so but it will go to the England ladies or the /England Rugby/Davis Cup teams if we win those..
  • dazcdazc Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hope froome win SP the way he has been treated is disgusting
This discussion has been closed.