The Secret World of Lego

Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Looks to be an interesting documentary on Channel 4 at the start of next week, The Secret World of Lego, 8pm.
info:
'Last year Lego became the most profitable toy maker in the world. Now this notoriously secretive, privately-owned superbrand has opened its doors. We discover what makes it tick, meet some of its key people and reveal more about the company DNA than ever before.

In The Secret World of Lego, we follow Justin, a 23 year old design student, as he travels to LEGO headquarters in Denmark in pursuit of one of the most hotly contested jobs in the world – a Lego set designer. We meet Liverpudlian Matthew, who undertook the same process and has now risen to become a Vice President of Design. We follow Mark and Tom, two adult fans of Lego, as they try two different money-making schemes they hope will transform their love of the brick into hard cash. And there’s Roar, the LEGO “reputation manager”, who guides us through this secret world - until we get a little too close for comfort.

Not your usual Channel 4 choice of topic, but that last bit of sentence sounds quite telling, so probably it'll have some C4 traits where things are not always what they seem? Skeletons in the cupboard? Scientology?
I adored Lego growing up, I must've had at least a dozen to fifteen shoe boxes full to the brim with it, all sorted and labelled but as with many toys I gave most of it away to church jumble sales. Even as a kid I couldn't stand the little people though, I just thought them silly next to my constructions. Yet I also had the Playmobil Castle with all the little knights and armies and loved them :confused:
It beats me how popular the Lego little people have become, it seems to me that they've actually surpassed the interest of the building brick, which in my eyes is not a good thing for young and budding engineer.

Comments

• Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On tonight at 8pm
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that there would be nine Lego bricks for everyone on the planet.

Lego is educational, for any kid with an engineering bent.
    One of our kids spent hours playing with it.
    He became a consultant engineer, traveling the world.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not your usual Channel 4 choice of topic, but that last bit of sentence sounds quite telling, so probably it'll have some C4 traits where things are not always what they seem? Skeletons in the cupboard? Scientology?

I am sure they will find some angle on it - not enough homosexual / disabled / IC3 / Muslim / etc figures perhaps?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I am sure they will find some angle on it - not enough homosexual / disabled / IC3 / Muslim / etc figures perhaps?

:D
    Sounds dreadful.
    A bit of unashamed bandwagon jumping by C4.

Lego being the new Rock n Roll [ this week ] , rather than it being the cheapo choice of toy designed for kids too dim and cack-handed to work in the superior idiom of Meccano. :cool:
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy with all the block jumpers...

Interesting that they revealed that the staff where faking a meeting just for the cameras.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Anyone watching this, not sure why I'm asking as you get a lot of smartar$e post on here.

Some oddness with the Lego employees re-eancting a meeting they'd already had for Ch4 so they weren't giving away any recent 'secrets'
    No more 'black market' food in Lego either, 'sounds' like someone was bringing in sugary foods for resale.
    The chappy and his wife doing the 3000 piece build, I'd have thought building it was part of the 'fun' rattling through it in one sitting seems wrong to me, savour and enjoy.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I've never 'got' hot desking, not that it's a problem now, I haven't worked in an office for 10 years and never will again.
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The company is very reminiscent of Apple with its tight secrecy and almost cult like nature
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lego comes across as a big Corporate culture as much as any other company.

Oh what a coincidence, they rang him up to offer him a job just as the cameras visited.

Initially it smacked of corporate fakeness controlled by Lego PR. Then it became apparent the documentary makers where trying to subtley expose the controlling aspects of Lego.

I've actually seen a good show about Lego once , I think it was on Discovery Channel a few years back. It took you into the factories and gave the company history.

Ends with "I could show you but I'd have to kill you first"

I don't think Lego will be opening their doors again anytime soon.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £270 for that Shield Avengers set! No wonder they're the most profitable toy company on the planet.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never 'got' hot desking, not that it's a problem now, I haven't worked in an office for 10 years and never will again.

Many companies try hot desking but it never works in reality as people like to sit in the same place each day, close to people they work with and where everyone can find you.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just ten minutes of this was mindbendiingly boring.
  • GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    agreed...had expected this to be interesting, but just very boring. didn't make it to the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always preferred sticklebricks.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I didn't make it through to the end as we had an EDF power outage after 25 minutes or so. Could always use catchup but can't really be bothered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lego being the new Rock n Roll [ this week ] , rather than it being the cheapo choice of toy designed for kids too dim and cack-handed to work in the superior idiom of Meccano. :cool:

Meccano was and still is a vastly superior building toy.
    I had the complete Meccano Combat collection and the Space 2150 collection :cool:
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And ....
    University of Cambridge to hire 'professor of Lego'
    Cambridge's general board recommends for the Lego professorship "of play in education, development and learning"
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had hoped there might be a little more history of Lego, its development over the years, changes etc, how it's helped kids etc but it was more reality tv and human interest stories.
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    I had hoped there might be a little more history of Lego, its development over the years, changes etc, how it's helped kids etc but it was more reality tv and human interest stories.

it was basically advert for Lego without them actually saying anything because it was all hush hush
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting enough.
    I think despite the friendly offices etc they are probably as ruthless as any other company. The guy who was there 'reputation representative ' or whatever struck me as a sort of minder. I love lego, always have but I have no illusions they are any different from any other privately owned company.
    Disney, Starbucks, Ben and Jerry's - all ruthless but loved. I don't imagine lego is any different.
  • best boybest boy Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Interesting enough.
    I think despite the friendly offices etc they are probably as ruthless as any other company. The guy who was there 'reputation representative ' or whatever struck me as a sort of minder. I love lego, always have but I have no illusions they are any different from any other privately owned company.
    Disney, Starbucks, Ben and Jerry's - all ruthless but loved. I don't imagine lego is any different.

^^^This. All these 'hippy-dippy, Californication-types' such as Virgin, Apple and, as I am finding, ecotricity love to portray their tree-hugging side but are as ruthless as any mega-corp if not more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »

Nicknamed Mauschwitz by the staffers. They squeeze a dollar until the Eagle on it squawks.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    best boy wrote: »
    ^^^This. All these 'hippy-dippy, Californication-types' such as Virgin, Apple and, as I am finding, ecotricity love to portray their tree-hugging side but are as ruthless as any mega-corp if not more.

Well, of course they are. You don't get to be a multi-billion dollar global corporation without being ruthless when dealing with staff, suppliers and their competition. If you want to be a hippy tree hugger then join your local vegan commune. Apple and Virgin are just as interested in making money as the banks and tobacco companies - they are just better at portraying a cool image.
  • kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meccano was and still is a vastly superior building toy.

+1

Maybe we could submit a Meccano-theme Lego set to them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Well, of course they are. You don't get to be a multi-billion dollar global corporation without being ruthless when dealing with staff, suppliers and their competition.

You are C.J. and I claim my £5! :p