Options

Life In Squares - BBC 2

anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
The beeb are very fond of their depressing period dramas lately. The actresses playing Virginia Woolf and Nessas pronunciation is poor. James Norton looks so different with dark hair and eyebrows. I thought the Bloomsbury set were supposed to be raunchy and avant-garde. They seem tame to todays standards.

Is Phoebe Fox another member of the Fox acting dynasty?

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well that was spiffing wot wot. Do these writers think they are going to shock us by showing bisexuals having sex with men and women, women breastfeeding and saying the f word. It feels like they added these scenes for the sake of it.
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Boring! Too much sex, mostly just sex - maybe I'm just jealous haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boring! Too much sex, mostly just sex - maybe I'm just jealous haha

lol :D I guess they had to keep warm somehow in 1906.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The beeb are very fond of their depressing period dramas lately. The actresses playing Virginia Woolf and Nessas pronunciation is poor. James Norton looks so different with dark hair and eyebrows. I thought the Bloomsbury set were supposed to be raunchy and avant-garde. They seem tame to todays standards.

Shockingly unshocking. I've had raunchier shops in Sainsburys on a Thursday night
    than their weekly get-togethers.

Should have called it Any Hole's a Goal. Or Life is Square.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its fascinating to consider how and why those who dramatise a theme do so in a given way. After all one could take a very different approach to a group of "radical" boho creative types all living in well heeled misery.

Predictably enough the BBC have decided to be soft focus and dully respectable as much for the export market as any other reason I suspect.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

I automatically wondered that as well!
    She isn't.

Phoebe Fox is the daughter of actors Stuart Fox and Prue Clarke.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that was spiffing wot wot. Do these writers think they are going to shock us by showing bisexuals having sex with men and women, women breastfeeding and saying the f word. It feels like they added these scenes for the sake of it.

The beeb are very fond of their depressing period dramas lately. The actresses playing Virginia Woolf and Nessas pronunciation is poor. James Norton looks so different with dark hair and eyebrows. I thought the Bloomsbury set were supposed to be raunchy and avant-garde. They seem tame to todays standards.e f word. It feels like they added these scenes for the sake of it.

Make your mind up. Are you complaining the BBC made it too 'raunchy' just 'for the sake of it' or not raunchy enough because the BBC made it too 'tame'? Or maybe you just like complaining?
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,649
    Forum Member
    I felt this was rather clunky and frankly boring. The characters were so pretentious they seemed
    like caricatures. They were also all so unlikable that I didn't care about any of them. I was hoping
    this would be good but was very disappointed.
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    I seem to be in the minority but I really enjoyed it and I thought that the acting was great.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Clarkie66 wrote: »
    I seem to be in the minority but I really enjoyed it and I thought that the acting was great.

I really enjoyed it too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shockingly unshocking. I've had raunchier shops in Sainsburys on a Thursday night
    than their weekly get-togethers.

Should have called it Any Hole's a Goal. Or Life is Square.

Ahem, may I ask which branch of Sainsburys you refer to? Just curious you understand.:D
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    The characters were so pretentious they seemed
    like caricatures
    From what I know of this lot it was very true to life.

Do we get to learn the dark secret that makes the sisters so glad that their father had died? Is it as dark as we are being led on to believe?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least Virginia Woolfs nose was more realistic looking than when Nicole Kidman played her in The Hours.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    From what I know of this lot it was very true to life.

Do we get to learn the dark secret that makes the sisters so glad that their father had died? Is it as dark as we are being led on to believe?

deleted (thinking of wrong characters)
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I fell asleep about 9.20 and woke up to see a load of hairdressers on the telly.

Is it worth me iPlayering it?

I saw Phoebe Fox in the Woman in Black film on New Year's Day.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarkie66 wrote: »

I liked it too, took me a while to get into it but by the end i found i couldn't wait for next weeks!
    Watched for the wonderful James Norton and as always he was superb and just a little bit gorgeous :blush:
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    How tiresome! Dull as ditch water and as dry as a burned cake.

Such a shame! The books I have about them are a lot more fun. Another example of a poor transition.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We recorded it and have just watched about half of it. The filming of it seems quite dark; I want to switch on a light.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I fell asleep about 9.20 and woke up to see a load of hairdressers on the telly.

Is it worth me iPlayering it?

I saw Phoebe Fox in the Woman in Black film on New Year's Day.

Hard to answer that. Initially I thought it was going to be quite good but really it's mostly just sex. You should watch it and see. At least you only need to watch 40 mins or so, then if you don't like it, use 2 hours of your life in a better way the next 2 weeks ;-)
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hard to answer that. Initially I thought it was going to be quite good but really it's mostly just sex. You should watch it and see. At least you only need to watch 40 mins or so, then if you don't like it, use 2 hours of your life in a better way the next 2 weeks ;-)

I didn't think it was mostly just sex, in fact i expected more!
  • Options
    MillyCMillyC Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it and will be watching next week
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't think it was mostly just sex, in fact i expected more!

That's how I found it. You mean you expected more sex? Then it would've been even more boring than it was.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I must say it managed to confirm my long held view that the Bloomsbury set where little more than a tedious bunch of upper middle class dilettantes. A backwater of artistic development worthy of little attention except by those who get excited about the notion that people can be attracted to the same or even both sexes.

I'm not sure this was the programme maker's intent but they certainly made a good job of it.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would assume there will be more sex of the lady kind on it's way as it's Vita Sackville-West and Virginia Woolf.